My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I have searched the forum and did not find or missed the answer to my problem. I bought an AC 1720 and a Landlord with an 18 hp Vanguard with 400 hrs. Sold the AC and basically acquired the Landlord for free. The PO had an engine fire under the hood and used parts from the AC on the Landlord. He was tired of messing with them and sold both. the problem;
The motor turns over fine but I cannot get spark unless I unplug the ground to the coils. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Points not opening or not opening enough to break the circuit on the primary coil. Btw what AC was that? I am not familiar with the AC 1720.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Points not opening or not opening enough to break the circuit on the primary coil. Btw what AC was that? I am not familiar with the AC 1720.
so the magneto sends power through the voltage regulator to open the circuit?
Here is a pic of the 1720h. nice tractor but it needed to be repowered and that was not in my budget. thanks for responding.
agco allis.jpg

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
That was a nice looking AGCO. Maybe a safety switch is causing you to loose spark?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Could be anything that grounds the coils. PTO switch left on, safety switches like seat switch. Nice looking DLX though.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am a little confused with the briggs and Stratton website. When I look at the parts diagram for my mower, 1672442, an illustration shows the vanguard motor with the part number. when I punch in the number for a manual on the briggs site, the site shows only the one lungers? 18hp vanguard twin is what I have. 28q777-1612-a1

·
Learning the hard way
957 Posts
28q777-1612-a1 is a number for a one lunger for sure. Vanguard 18HP should be something like 350777-xxxx-xx

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update, I purchased a 16 hp vanguard complete and installed in the tractor. Wired and plugged everything in and still no spark. which safety switch could cause a no spark condition? I thought if a safety switch were bad the tractor would not turn over? Attached is a pic of the landlord with a Broadmoor hood on it. I have $100 dollars in it so far and am really anxious to get it running.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Update, I purchased a 16 hp vanguard complete and installed in the tractor. Wired and plugged everything in and still no spark. which safety switch could cause a no spark condition? I thought if a safety switch were bad the tractor would not turn over? Attached is a pic of the landlord with a Broadmoor hood on it. I have $100 dollars in it so far and am really anxious to get it running.
A schematic would be helpful....
Correct me if I am wrong, but, I think you can test these so-called "safety" switches by just jumping / bypassing..
As I say, the schematic...showing everything....diodes, transistors, resistors, grounds..

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What a difference a few hours makes. I put the charger on and the tractor started and when I shut the key if it will not stop the motor?? I have to choke it to death or pop the plug wire.

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
Make sure the plug (if used) is on the ignition switch firmly. The switch grounds the magneto to kill the engine, any lack of continuity in that circuit will not ground the mag. There should be a ground wire for the switch, so make sure it's really grounded well. If the switch and wiring are okay, follow the wiring back to the mag to see what's wrong.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Make sure the plug (if used) is on the ignition switch firmly. The switch grounds the magneto to kill the engine, any lack of continuity in that circuit will not ground the mag. There should be a ground wire for the switch, so make sure it's really grounded well. If the switch and wiring are okay, follow the wiring back to the mag to see what's wrong.
Thank you for the reply. I will surely check this out tonight.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I talked with a mechanic friend and he said the ignition key switches are changed up like crazy through the years. I pulled this 16hp vanguard from a landlord gt and it was installed in a 1990's landlord. the difference is normally open and normally closed ingitions. I am not sure if the vanguard I installed was original in the gt and am not sure how to proceed. it starts and runs well......:fing32: I just am not sure how to proceed. I will pull the spark plug wire off everytime I am so anxious to put this tractor to work.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I pulled the plug on the ignition switch and one of the pins was bent over and not making contact. So 16hp vanguard turns off and shuts down now. Smokes alittle though and starts hard. Will change the oil and have valves adjusted and see what happens.

Sent from the MTF Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This tractor has been a challenge. I was running the thing to move some new gas through it and it ran fine for 10 minutes. I heard a bunch of clatter and the motor shut down. When I was looking it over I found the previous owner did not put the flywheel nut on after installing a new stator. I took the flywheel off and sure enough a magnet was broken. Installed new flywheel but I cannot get power to anything. When I turn the key the warning light will not light up and no power to the starter. Did I fry the stator?

·
Registered
112 Posts
The stator is for charging not for running. I think maybe you damaged the coil and grounded something and ran the batt. down. The loose flywheel probably hit the ign. coils too.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I replaced the battery and sure enough I was able to get the warning lights to work and start the tractor.:00000060: You may be correct about the ground as the tractor will not power down when the key switch is turned to "off". I was happy with the way the motor ran.:fing32:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts