My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So RED hits 30 this year. I purchased him 9/11/2009 for $100.00. He has done well for me, and I usually do a Winter re-fresh every couple years. I have a new main mower (Craftsman Pro) and a backup (BOH) so I am thinking of a more detailed update on RED.
I know what RED's main issues are and have the parts on-hand as I ordered them many Month ago.
Tear down has begun, and two of the issues are almost obvious. Oil leak and sloppy steering. Parts are on-hand to address these issues. Also a new ring set for the 42A707 18 HP Briggs
Stopping point for the evening. I need to pressure wash this before I go further, hard to see the bolt heads underneath.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seeing I can take my time on this I may upgrade the steering, this seems to be the weak link on these, I have some thoughts.

·
Premium Member
9,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did some disassembly yesterday, pulled the wire harness. Trying to revive the battery but when it gets to 12V it falls off quickly and will only charge at 100 ma (I started with the 10A charger but wasn't getting any charge indication) so it will need replaced. I got the old manual out. Has some 2009 original restore pictures in it. Debating whether to get greeasy tonight.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I decided to get dirty but gave up after having to get up and down under this to remove the drag link. Some idiot decided to use a 15mm nut on the steering gear link connection and I ended up cussing myself. Drag link seems ok but I may replace it just to have the standard fasteners (It pi$$ed me off that bad. Steering gear box is removed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll try that sense I have several drag links. Just saw your link, Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got back home and decided to pressure wash some of the thicker crud off, Will still do a better cleaning, this is mainly to make tear down easier. I can see the bolts now.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So as many others have found the steering sector on these is a bad design. I am trying to develop a better solution for the steering setup.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Calling this done for now, on to the next issue.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like I need spendal bushings. I'll see if I have better ones in the other parts axles I have. Tip to remove the rubber grease caps. Heat with hot air gun to soften them then use a paint can opener to pry them off.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think the spare axles I have are the light duty ones, I am on the fence about doing a paint refresh and re-badge, or just fixing the worn bushings, axle seals, Engine work, new seat and tires and get him back to work.

·
Premium Member
9,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pulled RED’s rear end in hope to get the stuck rim removed. Broke the tire down and removed. Long shot using the shop press, 2” too narrow. I am using the press cross member and my puller set. I had to enlarge two of the wheel weight holes to get the large bolts through. Plenty of PB and I have hit it with the impact gun till the bolt quit moving. I guess I need to try heat next, but I need to clean up a lot of grease and crud before I get the torches out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,373 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I am not giving up yet! Today's three tries so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I don't think you got it hot enough. I didn't see the rim glowing cherry red. More mapp gas (or Mapp/Pro) and get that rim cooking. Then spray a little penetrating oil directly on the axle from the top. Then more hammer.

You got this!

·
Premium Member
9,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Repositioning the puller, and will start with the propane and leave it on there a loooong time then switch to the oxy and see if I can get it red. (Next weekend)

1 - 20 of 78 Posts