My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
See this e-bay auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320579923857&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:1123

This is now the ultimate bench mark for pricing a 322. You know the condition of yours...compared to this machine with 71 hours on it...

I actually was thinking it was going to go for a lot MORE! :Stop: At least 6K as that was the price new...

I wonder when these tractors will start to sell for MORE than what they were new? I am sure it will happen...just not sure when. Makes me want to buy a pristine example and put it away...

Look at all those muscle car prices... New in 1969, purchased for 4K, and worth 90K now. Now don't get me wrong...I never think one of these tractors will ever bring that kind of money (not rare enough) but I think this collectors market has a lot of "growing room"...

What say you?:trink40:

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Thats a lot more than i would have paid for it. Rather have something newer and more operator friendly. I don't have any use for an old workhorse. It is in nice shape tho.

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Well worth it....

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
If you look at what 8N Fords cost new and sell for now, it's amazing. I'm not sure these will go that route, but they may. A 322 to unique as it has the smoothest and easily the most robust gas engine JD has EVER offered in a L&G machine. Nothing is smoother than that tractor.

But...it's still got the old platform that is easily outperformed by a 445. Tight ergonomics, hand control hydro, external PTO clutch, external drum brakes, belt drive deck, trouble-prone electronics, and no diff lock.

Now I will say for some folks with leg issues, the older hand control models are prized and sought out.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Please take a few moments to watch this most interesting video from LAGC...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVMWW0CU9gI&feature=player_embedded

OK so the real question is...will any of the old John Deere's like the Patio's or those in ORANGE be worth any kind of big money?

Basically what is the "collectivity" of these machines?
How does JD compare to say the first Wheel Horse RJ35 as far as collectivity?

·
6,553 Posts
All old machines have cult followings within their respective brand fan base.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All old machines have cult followings within their respective brand fan base.
But will that cult base of fans pay a premium for old classics?

This whole garden tractor collecting thing is new...very new.

·
6,553 Posts
Brian,

I'm sure any sought after low hour vintage will bring big money. I remember last year or the year before on here where a guy found a brand new 1950's Sears Suburban in an estate sale. He put it on ebay and it sold for $1800 which I personally thought was WAY low.. It should have brought $3500.

·
Registered
833 Posts
TractorHouse.com posted this ad on Feb., 2010:

New 1992 JOHN DEERE 318
CA $10,452 OH
18 hp; 2WD Drive; Lawn tractor, Still in crate, Zero hours, Brand new!; (Price entered as 10,000 U.S. Dollars);
Fairview Farm
Phone: (937)644-2120
Details & Photo(s)
Send A Message
Add To Equipment Of Interest
Share On:
Updated: 2/9/2010 11:25:00 AM

$4,500 for a 71 hour (near new) 322 Deere is reasonable / were I'm from !!

--------------------------------------
Beaumont { :>)) www.petperfectexpress.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=135888 http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=136600&page=3
1992 JD 318 original paint w/484 hr. on P218g Onan & #49 snow blower / 1998 JD GT262 w/brand new Kawasaki OHV & 48" rebuilt deck
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=135838

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I love my 318, and I like the 322 being water cooled but there is no way I would have paid that much for one unless it was very well accessorized.

Jerry's $2K 318 is obviously much more the norm, though I see prices falling. I also see some guys thinking real fixer-uppers will command a high price.

As far as a cult following, I don't consider myself to have drunk the lemonade. For me it was praticality. In the $2K range, the 318 was so much superior to anything new for the same price, it was a no brainer.

·
6,553 Posts
I agree D-Dogg.. But the guy that will pay $4500 for a 70 hour 300 series, or the guy that would pay 12K for a new in the crate 318, has had 2 cups of Grape Kool Aide.. That's a die hard collector not someone who actually "needs" the tractor :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree D-Dogg.. But the guy that will pay $4500 for a 70 hour 300 series, or the guy that would pay 12K for a new in the crate 318, has had 2 cups of Grape Kool Aide.. That's a die hard collector not someone who actually "needs" the tractor :)
No Kool Aide...
I am talking about the guy who already has a good daily use tractor and wants a "show piece" to take to shows and what not. Just like a guy who has a 69 Shelby Mustang...he is not using it to go to work!

"That" is the guy I am talking about...
I for one would love a brand new in the crate 318 for 10K. Put it together and enjoy it at shows...and who knows, 20 years from now, sell it for 20K!!!

Now where did I leave that ten thousand dollar bill???:crybaby:

·
Registered
452 Posts
Am I the only one that noticed the ebay ad said the Quote "The 322 Onan gas engine not only performs extremely well, it is thought to be the quietest unit Deere has ever offered." the tractors had 3 cylinder Yanmar gas engines in them rated at 18 hp, I have a 1988 with the original sales receipt and it cost 5,849 with a 50" deck on November 20 1987.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts