My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting a thread to keep my motivation up. Right now I'm anxious to start tearing it apart, but, I know how sometimes you can lose that anxiousness/motivation. I figured with the thread I won't have a choice but to follow through with it. Plus, I'm a bit of a "pic junkie" and I know everyone likes pictures :trink40: I did do a quick paint job on this tractor when I first got it but just did the hood, rear fenders and belt covers. I used Old Wheel Horse Red paint and it's actually a lighter tone than the original paint was.

Now here's what started the plan to tear it apart and freshen it up. Last week after changing the 25 year old transmission fluid I was mowing with the 518 for about 5 hours. When I got back to the shed to blow the grass off of it I noticed the whole side of the engine was covered in fresh oil. I cleaned it up and found out it was coming from the gasket between the block and bearing plate. So after ordering the gasket I got to looking around and found a 5 piece 518H decal kit at Redo your horse. I ordered them and afterwards thought the darker shade of red on the decals would look off with the lighter red the tractor's painted now. Plus, it gives me something to do over the winter. :)

The only thing I've done so far is sand and primer the PTO pulley. Mainly just to get a feel for my new HVLP gun. So far I've gotten a quart of IH Harvester Red paint, stainless bolts for the rear seat pan, stainless screws for exhaust shield, new grade 8 bolts and lock washers for the bearing plate, new reproduction decals, new (used good condition) original seat with seat mount and shock. Going to get a "new" set of rear wheels since the insides of mine are rusted very bad, along with Ag tires. I'd like to get a new dash too since the display for the warning lights is gone and the headlight switch is gone, however, I can't seem to find a new dash.

Well that's all for now, I didn't realize this post would be this long :eek: After I get the new gasket and know I'm leak free the tear down is going to begin.
Here's a pic of the gasket at least :banghead3

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
thats a good way to keep one moving I know every thing thats in the picture one thing I need to know the idem at the bottom right in the frist picture you going to tear it down also ??

·
Member #495
3,827 Posts
Looking like this is going to be a good thread! I detailed my 520H restoration on youtube, still in the process. Its been a rewarding restoration. I have delved into hydraulics, engines, got to know my hvlp sprayer really well, pumps, you name it.... OH how could I forget- electrical... sweet Christmas was there electrical issues. Anyway, it was all worthwhile. Good luck with your restoration, these are just some of the finest tractors made.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats a good way to keep one moving I know every thing thats in the picture one thing I need to know the idem at the bottom right in the frist picture you going to tear it down also ??
I just tore it down a few months ago and put 2 AA batteries in it :sidelaugh

Looking like this is going to be a good thread! I detailed my 520H restoration on youtube, still in the process. Its been a rewarding restoration. I have delved into hydraulics, engines, got to know my hvlp sprayer really well, pumps, you name it.... OH how could I forget- electrical... sweet Christmas was there electrical issues. Anyway, it was all worthwhile. Good luck with your restoration, these are just some of the finest tractors made.
I watched some of your videos on Youtube last night, very good :trink39: The only thing electrical on mine that doesn't work is the headlights. Which they may work and I just don't know it because the headlight switch is missing. A year and a half ago I bought a 1997 Toro 265-6. After using it for a year I decided it had to go. It was a nice tractor but I didn't like feeling the frame flex and throwing the hood out of whack just while driving through the yard. So I sold it and fixed a few things on the 518. I think it was a good decision.
I emailed the guy I bought the seat off of to see if he had a dash and he did! He sent me pictures of it and it's in very good shape. I offered him $35 for it, really don't want to pay more than $50....but more than likely if push comes to shove I will.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's some pics of when I first got it and now.
Before:

After:

Most recent.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Looking good. slkpk

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bought the dash also. The seat and the dash are getting shipped on Monday/Tuesday.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got the bearing plate gasket on last night and mowed with it tonight to see if the leak stopped. It definitely slowed down but......the valve cover gasket(s) are leaking. I went to take the valve cover off and the bolt was finger tight. After I get the cover off I see pieces of gasket everywhere and what was left crumbled in my hands. Ordered 2 new gaskets and a new valve reed from Parts Tree. Before long they should be calling me once a week to see if I need anything :sidelaugh

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haven't got any pics yet. I got it tore apart on Friday and started sanding the body parts yesterday. I still have to do the frame and some other parts and get it in primer today. So far there's about 11 hours in sanding and all I have done is the rear pan and belt guards, I really shot myself in the foot doing a quick paint job on it before......

Will get pics today.

·
10,839 Posts
Looking forward to this as it goes along. That one is well worthy of a restoration.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry, don't have any pics of the tear down but here's what it looks like as of now.

Tomorrow I'm planning on painting everything that's black and maybe start on the wheels. Have to get a few new connectors for the "new" wiring harness also.

·
Working to a 1K post
1,062 Posts
Excellent progress!!! :thThumbsU

And it's really looking good!!!

Are you doing a "Rattle Can" paint job? Or is it done with spray gun?

I can't wait until I start painting my B80...

Merrie​
Merrie​

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Merrie! I'm using a DevilBiss (sp?) HVLP spray gun. I got a quart of IH Red, quart of gray Rustoleum for the wheels and one of my friends gave me over half a gallon of primer. Forget what the brand is but he uses it at work on heavy machines.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well everything's painted and it's about back together, still have a few little things to finish but it should be together tomorrow when I work on it. The only thing I didn't touch was the deck and wheels. I'm going to take them to get sandblasted sometime this winter.

I know I haven't been very good about getting progress pictures. It's hard to get pics when you're working on it 9-10 hours almost every night and feel like you're not moving ahead at all :sidelaugh

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here it is. Would have gotten it all back together tonight but ran into some problems with the speed nuts I got for the belt cover/foot rests; they're too short. Also found out the "new" wiring harness had 4 bare wires. Luckily I tried starting it now instead of when it was done. I had to take it back out and put my original back in.

·
Registered
729 Posts
good progress! looks like its coming together real good

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks! It won't be completely done for a while yet. I had to take it my my buddies garage to do most of the work in. Once it's back together and I get back home and in the shed the wheels and deck are getting sent out to get sandblasted. I'm done sanding :sidelaugh

·
16,626 Posts
very good progress so far..:thanku:

.Isn't it funny how everything seems to lead to something else when you start tearing into these older tractors. They is no little simple fix--seems like....not if'n you are doing it right...

Thanks for the updates!!

glenn

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Glen. I have to say though that the wiring harness was pretty much the biggest "issue" I ran into thankfully.

It's all back together, wet sanded, buffed and decals are on. I only have one cell phone picture that's not very good. If we get a break in the rain I'll be bringing it home this week and get some better pictures. I'm very happy with how it turned out.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Got it back home last night. I'm very happy with how it turned out. I still have to paint the seat, wheels and deck but that will get done sometime over the winter. I got done what I wanted for now.

Here's some pics, they didn't turn out as well and I'd like.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts