My Tractor Forum banner
41 - 60 of 90 Posts

· Super Moderator
47,003 Posts
I should be able to chuck this up in my lathe and open it up, than tig or mig it back together, was more worried about the seal availability, thank you
If you're good at that you could turn it into a cottage industry. We had a member years ago, AlaninVermont, that did that. I know there were about 10 members he redid cylinder for. IIRC it was a flat $100, but that was about 7 or 8 years ago too.

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Setting up in the lathe and using the parting tool isn’t a problem, and welding it back together will be easy, it’s what’s lurking inside, the unknown, but I’m not scare. We‘ll see how it goes, if it’s not to bad and I can help out another member I will.
I did make it out to the shop again tonight, I was hoping the axle seals would come in but it’s ok becuase the left axle housing bearings have a lot of play so I’ll order those tonight, it’ll give me a chance to clean everything up and shoot a little paint, I know it’s not A truck but the brake shoes are saturated with oil, so much so I doubt brake cleaner with get it “good enough” so ill Probably order a new set of those also. I want to do it right even if it costs a couple more dollars.
Wood Gas Machine tool Machine Auto part

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Tread

Automotive tire Bumper Rim Automotive exterior Electrical wiring

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
While looking for some of the parts we need I came across a complete H3 valve with handles and decided if I’m going to upgrade now is the time with me being this far in. This should be here soon as well so I started making my way into the belly of the beast to get to the Valve
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Wood Terrestrial plant

Auto part Composite material Wood Metal Wire
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Bumper

· Professional Homeowner
8,852 Posts
Looking good so far!
I had an old ford with front rims really rotted out around the valve stems. Previous owner found some washers a little bigger than the valve stem and had at it with the welder and grinder/wire wheel to smooth out the welds. They never did leak out the valves.

As for the brake shoes, they can be left in a bag of oil dry for a few days/weeks, and a lot of the oil will get drawn out. Did that with an oil saturated clutch flex disk in my Kubota under the advice of the mechanic that did the job successfully many times. 3 years later, still going strong!

· Registered
2,928 Posts
While looking for some of the parts we need I came across a complete H3 valve with handles and decided if I’m going to upgrade now is the time with me being this far in. This should be here soon as well so I started making my way into the belly of the beast to get to the Valve View attachment 2576453
View attachment 2576452 View attachment 2576455
I'm following you. I maybe a few months behind you. I've been cleaning out the shed this week. I guess I got lucky last year. I was at an auction where there were 2, 332's and a 318. Both 332's had dual wheels on the back. A lot of stuff was inside the Ag Building. There was a set of ag tires with chains and nice wheels, think I got them for $40. When I got them home I noticed they had long carriage bolts through the holes for weights, or duals.. I think they were on the 318. The tires are loaded also. I'm building mine as a show tractor just to pull my Mini Hay Wagon, so I may put the duals on it. Anyway, I'm watching with interest every thing you do. Thanks for keeping track of the process.

· Three of my friends
9,755 Posts
Found another leak under the steering cylinder, do we cut the welds to replace the seal(s) and tig it back together ? View attachment 2575345
The solid end of the cylinder is 1.200 from the end,I’ve done a few but not having a lathe ,I ground the weld down and used a cutting wheel to cut .100 into the cylinder and hit the solid piece,you could cut only 1 inch and that will give you a solid location to set it back up for welding,
I had mine welded,pull the piston all the way out and wrap the cylinder with wet towels,straight line mark the cylinder For proper alignment when welding.
Here are the seal numbers,a hydronic shop can decipher the numbers,the place I got mine from wasent the best penmanship.

Attachments

· Three of my friends
9,755 Posts
The levers
I removed them from the holder and drill/ tap for grease certs as well as the front axel that rotates in the middle.
Save yourself some headache and replace the seal on the output shaft in the hydraulic pump.

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
So with all the landscaping and yard work coming up my plan is to build and put a bucket on this. I’m waiting on parts to move on, So I have this big old bucket, I think it was off a grade all, and I started chopping it down.
Helmet Wood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

Plant Wood Grass Trunk Tree

Automotive tire Wood Plant Gas Grass

Plant Helmet Grass Groundcover Tints and shades

Bumper Wood Automotive tire Grass Automotive exterior

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
i did a lot of reading and trips to the local dealers to examine the buckets and the different designs. I came up with the size and shape I want, laid it out on a piece of cardboard and transferred the rough outline on this bucket, grabbed the grinder with cutoff wheel and started cutting. It’s still a beast, the part I’m using must still weig 150lbs. I going to put it on more of a diet.

41 - 60 of 90 Posts