My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Sorry, got delayed a bit with work. Frustrating, how you have to work to earn the money to pay the bills so you can play...

Anyway, I used bits and pieces I had around the shop to put my relay together and wire it up, NOW that the tractor is put back together, I put the Snow Blower, Chains and weights on it so I can go through my other 165 that I've had for 9 years now.

Here's some pictures of the work I did on the 'other' one. I can't remember if I mentioned this before, but I bought the 'other' one for parts to fix my main 165 when the trans went. I thought the Hydrostat had failed, but instead the teeth on one of the drive axle had sheared, so I bought the 'other' 165 for parts. Once I got my main 165 going, the 'other 165 sat outside for several years, and I finally got around to putting it back together. It had some issues, which I think I've taken care of.

I was not very good at documenting the work, though.

Have you ever seen a front axle this bad? I sure hadn't!

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Excellent! Great to hear! Really looking forward to the pictures (hint hint! :) ). Did you put anti-seize on the axles before you dropped those rear wheels back on? I'd strongly recommend that if you haven't. A LOT of stories on here about people having to cut rusted rims off their axles on this vintage of machine....

Little Tractor Guy,

I DID use some anti seize on the rear axle before reassembling my 'other' 165, and I thought I was going to have to cut or otherwise destroy the rear wheels on my main 165 when I started disassembling it! Starboard wheel came off pretty easily, but Port side was another story! I soaked it with some Nuts Off Penetrating oil that my old man gave me. Took a while. He even told me, "put some of this on it, let it set for a day or two, do it again, let it set again, do it a third time and you SHOULD be able to motivate the wheel off with a medium sized smoter."

He was not wrong. Luckily, I'm not in a hurry, so I took my time, and finally this weekend, I got the last rear wheel off. That sucker was stuck on there good! Once it started moving, it was just a matter of convincing it to go back and forth and finally came off. The key is still stuck in the slot. I figure a few more days and it'll come out, too.

I am kinda surprised it was so seized onto the axle. The whole underside of my main 165 is coated in oil. THAT is mainly the reason I'm taking it apart. I want to find out why I keep having to add engine oil! I also found out why it is as loud as it was. Both bolts holding the muffler to the engine were GONE! I always wear ear plugs when I used the tractor and so I never noticed, but finally getting the hood and heat shield off, I saw why.

And for those of you who think 'Nuts Off' is not a real product (like I did when my dad, ever a practical joker, offered me some)....it's legit and it works!

Attachments

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,849 Posts
Hey, congrats on getting those rims off! I might have to look to see if Nuts off can be had locally here, since I'm gonna have the same issue on my 160, if I ever get around to trying to pull the rims.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts