My Tractor Forum banner
141 - 160 of 207 Posts

· Retired Deere Employee
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 · (Edited)
Thank you Jimbo for your offer. Let me get the cylnders cleaned up and oil filter gasket installed so I can again test the switch that is on the tractor. I may not need to replace the switch ... Gabby

Yesterday I recieved the firewall insulation and fuel tank screens. I haven't been working on the 318 but need to keep a high priority on the project along with clearing snow and getting the 140 engine to local small engine shop.

Reactions: MiniHomesteader

· Retired Deere Employee
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
Back to work on the 318. Using grille cleaner, paint thinner, and stiff nylon bristle brush to clean up the left side piston and valves. Need to clean the head and check valve adjustment before I can reassemble left side of engine.
Automotive lighting Train Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas

And the bad news for today. I think the compressor on my big air compressor locked up today. Not sure if I can buy compressor for Porter-Cable locally.

Reactions: PA318Guy

· Three of my friends
9,816 Posts
You did good,can you see the value seats to assure they are ok.
Std bore too👍

· Retired Deere Employee
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
I can spin the crank to open the valves but cannot see the valve seats. Will blow everything out with compressed air when it gets reassembled and make sure everything gets a good coat of oil.

No stamp on piston means it is std size?

· Three of my friends
9,816 Posts
Most of the time,all I’ve seen were marked
Is the 140 marked on the on piston?

Reactions: GreenGabby

· Retired Deere Employee
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
Beautiful day here in southwest Wisconsin today. Bright and sunny with temps in the low 30's. Mom hadn't been out for awhile and was getting cabin fever so we took the truck and headed out to a backwoods bar/diner for breakfast. Establishment is in school district where I graduated from high school so we did run into a couple of my old school buds. Reason we took the truck is I wanted to visit my rural property and pick up a pancake air compressor for me to use in town till I get my big Porter-Cable fixed. Also wanted to talk to my neighbor at rural property but he was not home. From there we drove back roads to get home. Nice day out. Tomorrow will be back to the 318.

· Retired Deere Employee
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
Found a compressor pump for my Porter-Cable air compressor today. My air compressor and pump are no longer available from Porter-Cable. Pump I found is used on 60 gallon reservoir DeWalt. Further research tells me Porter-Cable and DeWalt are both Black & Decker products with Porter-Cable being the more inexpensive (non USA manufactured) tools.

"DeWalt was founded by 1923 by Raymond E. DeWalt. This man invented the radial arm saw, which drove him to found the company. The company was sold many times. Eventually, they were sold in 1960 to Black & Decker.​
In 1992, the company began focusing on professional-quality tools. This was when their image as a high-quality tool crafter was first brought forth. Most of their tools started around this time, though many have changed considerably over the years. DeWalt new sells hundreds of tools.​
In 2004, Stanley Black & Decker bought Porter-Cable as well. DeWalt is their high-quality tool line, while Porter-Cable is their cheaper alternative."​

Genuine Replacement Parts | Fast Shipping | Huge Selection | eReplacement Parts listed the pump for over $600 but NLA. I paid $240 for pump w/sheave and breather. Mom has colonoscopy tomorrow morning. Hope to work on installing pump tomorrow afternoon.

· Retired Deere Employee
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
Working on replacing the compressor pump. New pump uses a V belt. Original was a flat belt. Need to take the front off the shelving unit so I can turn the compressor to remove the belt guard; pump is unbolted but need to remove guard to finish removing the pump. Need to get this task complete so I can get back to work on the 318 engine.

· Retired Deere Employee
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
This afternoon I degreased and washed the left side head cover, muffler guard, and intake/exhaust covers. They still need to be steel wooled and painted. I have the left side head soaking to loosen up the carbon so I can finish cleaning that so I can adjust valve clearance and install head. After this is finished will probably raise the engine to
  • remove right head cover and head
  • decarbon right cylinder piston and head.
  • while engine is raised I need to replace oil pan/gasket,
  • the oil filter adapter gasket,
  • remove flywheel cover to clean and paint,
  • and install firewall insulation.
  • Then start putting everything back together.
Will provide photos as work progresses.

· Retired Deere Employee
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
Snow this morning again but had to take mom to doctor's appointment again. Will clear snow tomorrow.

Did do a little work on the 318 this afternoon. Cleaning up the head getting it ready to reinstall. I did pull out my feeler gage to check valve adjustment on left cylinder..

Exhaust is between .010"-.011"
Intake is less than .002"

Definitely need adjustment before I reassemble.

· Retired Deere Employee
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
This seems to happen every weekend. Want to spend a good day in garage but oldest son called this morning and told me his daughter's last two basketball games are 1:00 and 3:00 this afternoon. I also have a benefit I should attend from 4:00-8:00. Will try to get something done in the garage.

· Retired Deere Employee
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·
Went to sons house after basketball to help diagnose issue with his X534. Did not make it to my garage.

· Retired Deere Employee
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
There is considerable difference between X5XX and X7XX pedal linkage so the information I had from my X485/X720 didn't help diagnose problem.

Something happened to the tractor Friday while he was clearing snow. Tractor was working as expected when he began clearing. I don't know if change was gradual or suddenly changed. There is no Theory of Operation for pedal function even for the 700 series but there is a section of about 15 pages that cover the adjustments of the pedals. There is a lot going on with these pedals besides forward and reverse operation. Free wheeling, reverse implement option (RIO), and cruise control need to be satisfied with pedal adjustment. Without correct manual and a stand to place the tractor on we could not see where the problem was but expect it to be an "adjustment that slipped". I expect the tractor will need to be taken to Deere dealer for service.

To follow issue with Bryan's 534 I have started a new thread ... X534 hydrostatic pedals ... southwest Wisconsin

Reactions: UrbanTractor

· Retired Deere Employee
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
There is a lot of corners on these cylinder heads. I have 3 areas left to clean on the left side head and will then adjust valve clearance and install head/gasket. Probably won't get finished today. I have wake/funeral to attend for Deere co-workers wife. She was 45. Just suddenly checked out. I feel so sorry for this co-worker, his 4 daughters and 1 son. I also worked with his Dad at Deere.

• Sad
Reactions: UrbanTractor

· Retired Deere Employee
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
Today
  • I adjusted valve clearance (.005 - intake ... .013 exhaust).
  • I then finished cleaning and installed left head with new gasket.
  • Have not torqued head bolts because I need to check head flatness.
  • Cleaned and loosely installed left exhaust pipe with new gasket.
  • Not torqueing anything yet because I want to get everything cleaned and painted before finishing this work.
I need to clean out the breather cavity where you adjust valves. I feel like half a mechanic without my air compressor. Thinking about buying new 60 gallon two stage. Oldest son is using a pancake compressor in his shop. Said he would gladly take my old Porter-Cable with new pump. Need to break out my pancake compressor to finish up this engine project.

· Retired Deere Employee
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 ·
Post duplicated so this is just to delete the duplication. Terrible icy here today.

· Retired Deere Employee
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·
Outside temps in mid 40's today so I let mother nature take care of ice covered driveway.

I did get the following done on the 318
  • Removed the head and checked for flatness. Measured .004 which is upper limit (.002" - .004"). I reassembled in that condition. I wish I had done a compression check before I tore the engine down but I did not expect to go this deep into the engine. I will do a compression check when it is all reassembled to give me an idea if it will need further service.
  • I installed new gaskets on the valve cover (breather).
  • Next step is to clean up and install the the intake manifold with new gaskets.
  • Then clean up and install exhaust tubes.
  • I need to get the engine raised so I can remove the right side head tin and remove the head. Repeat the work I did on the left head to the right side, and adjust valves.
  • With the engine raised and tins removed I can replace the oil filter adapter gasket and the engine oil pan.
I really need to stay busy on this project. Weather and doctors appointments have been dragging me away.

· Three of my friends
9,816 Posts
I really need to stay busy on this project. Weather and doctors appointments have been dragging me away.
I find that get into my plans too

141 - 160 of 207 Posts