My Tractor Forum banner
101 - 120 of 149 Posts

· Three of my friends
9,755 Posts
You might be able to use a grinding tool on a lathe to clean it up (or a cutting tool that can do interrupted cuts on hard material, in my experience HSS tooling doesn't work well on welded up stuff).
If it’s been welded on I suspect it needs replaced and with the factory slots being there ,there must be a valid reason why so I would just replace it now.

· Retired Deere Employee
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
I have an offer for a 1 wire clutch here on MTF for a reasonable price. I should be able to install and wire that up to work as a replacement.

I am going to be gone for a couple of days. Should be back on Sunday.

· Three of my friends
9,755 Posts
One wire will work,it grounds to the motor

· Retired Deere Employee
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Got home yesterday mid-afternoon. We got 2-3" fresh snow. Finished clearing it this morning. Laurie has doctors appt this afternoon so probably won't get anything done on the 318 today. Received gaskets from Onanparts.com while we were away and am working on getting a pto. Something else that has to get done this week is I need to get the engine out of the 140 and delivered to Jim.

· Three of my friends
9,755 Posts
Hope Laurie s dr appt has good news.

Reactions: MiniHomesteader

· Retired Deere Employee
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 · (Edited)
Her appointment today was a preliminary for a colostomy. She passed the test. It is a go.

· Three of my friends
9,755 Posts
Her appointment today was a preliminary for a colostomy. She passed the test. It is a go.
AWSOME,my wife goes through the same,surgury 12 years ago,good going now

Reactions: GreenGabby

· Retired Deere Employee
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 · (Edited)
This is the 140 I bought from the guy on WFM up near Black River Falls. I got it running but it had a serious knock. Ran for about 30 seconds and something let loose. Personally I think the rod cap came off. There is no external damage to the block so am going to have Jim take a look to see if it is rebuildable. I really like the 120 I got from the WFM member down south of Rockford. Had that engine rebuilt last year. Just under $900 for the rebuild. Tractor was well worth it. After the 140 is rebuilt the 120 may get sold.

· Likes Vintage JDs
13,049 Posts
This is the 140 I bought from the guy on WFM up near Black River Falls. I got it running but it had a serious knock. Ran for about 30 seconds and something let loose. Personally I think the rod cap came off. There is now external damage to the block so am going to have Jim take a look to see if it is rebuildable. I really like the 120 I got from the WFM member down south of Rockford. Had that engine rebuilt last year. Just under $900 for the rebuild. Tractor was well worth it. After the 140 is rebuilt the 120 may get sold.

Gabby, given you paid $900 to rebuild a K301, what do you think of this (here on my local craigslist)?

· Retired Deere Employee
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 · (Edited)
Gabby, given you paid $900 to rebuild a K301, what do you think of this (here on my local craigslist)?
The K301 in my 120 was very good running condition but was using a large amount of oil. I used to overhaul engines but have to many projects now and can afford to pay someone to do it for me. Very happy with the rebuild; no objections. With proper care the tractor should go another 50 years with only service costs. Rebuild cost was well worth the money.
  • A pet peeve I have with K301 in attachment is all the paint. Don't know what this engine was used in but in a garden tractor used for mowing large yard heat could be an issue.
  • If this engine is going to be a replacement for garden tractor you will likely need to swap some components from the original engine.
  • Seller says engine is complete but there is carb on it.
  • It is rope start, not electric.
  • I have a starter I could mount on it but would need to replace flywheel cover with a cover setup for electric starter.
  • Hope the flywheel has ring gear for starter.
  • No muffler
  • Do not see electrical charging system components.
  • Missing PTO clutch,
The bracket mounted on the engine looks like it may have had a starter/generator setup like the Deere round fenders had but not sure.

I would pay $650 for the rebuilt engine if I was going to use it for its original set up. To much work and cost to convert it to put it in my 120/140. And it is wrong color.

I could be in the market for a good running K321AS for a 140.

Reactions: UrbanTractor

· Likes Vintage JDs
13,049 Posts
The K301 in my 120 was very good running condition but was using a large amount of oil. I used to overhaul engines but have to many projects now and can afford to pay someone to do it for me. Very happy with the rebuild; no objections. With proper care the tractor should go another 50 years with only service costs. Rebuild cost was well worth the money.
  • A pet peeve I have with K301 in attachment is all the paint. Don't know what this engine was used in but in a garden tractor used for mowing large yard heat could be an issue.
  • If this engine is going to be a replacement for garden tractor you will likely need to swap some components from the original engine.
  • Seller says engine is complete but there is carb on it.
  • It is rope start, not electric.
  • I have a starter I could mount on it but would need to replace flywheel cover with a cover setup for electric starter.
  • Hope the flywheel has ring gear for starter.
  • No muffler
  • Do not see electrical charging system components.
  • Missing PTO clutch,
The bracket mounted on the engine looks like it may have had a starter/generator setup like the Deere round fenders had but not sure.

I would pay $650 for it with the work it has had done to it if I was going to use it for its original set up. To much work and cost to convert it to put it in my 120/140. And it is wrong color.

I would be in the market for a good running K321AQS for a 140.
Okay thanks very much for your input. I was wondering if I should grab it and toss it on the shelf, just-in-case. But all those issues you pointed out about it make me realize it’s not a good back-up engine for me anyway. I would want something that was much closer to plug-and-play.

The K321 engine in my ‘72 140 just hit 200 hours. So I feel no urgency to have a back-up engine, either.

· Retired Deere Employee
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
I have two 140 H3's with 14 HP engines. One is blown engine and the other I have not been able to get started. Only spent about an hour working on each. I do have a K341 (with broken rod) from a 316K but missing many parts. I got tractor and engine for free but had to haul it out of a Chicago suburb. Was told it was an Onan engine so I took it in hopes to replace the Onan in this 318 I am working on. Came home on same trailer load as 318 with 44 loader from Pennsylvania. The K341 engine not worth much to me.

Reactions: subllime68charger

· Retired Deere Employee
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Missing oil pan, head, carburetor, piston, and broken rod. Just too much missing to rebuild.

I had a couple of questions for Jim out at his repair shop. Sounds like his machine shop has closed. He has one other machining business he is willing to try but sounds like this area is loosing it's machine shop business's.

Also showed him the pto from the 318. He pointed something out to me that I missed. If the rotor is welded to the armature the pto is constantly engage. No shutoff. Guess I am in need of a pto clutch.

· Three of my friends
9,755 Posts
Greengabby,the parts you posted are the only parts to the pto,the front piece that bolts to the engine,the rotor and the coil,what are you calling the armature?
You said you could hear it clicking before you took it off so it isn’t welded to anything,post a picture of the front of the rotor please

· Retired Deere Employee
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·

· Three of my friends
9,755 Posts
Yes but yours isn’t welded together is it?

· Retired Deere Employee
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
I see what happened to that rotor,they welded up the slots i it,this is on ebay
Confused Jim. You acknowledged it was welded a while back. The rotor and armature on my pto are are one solid piece. There are spot welds in the rotor grooves connecting the two parts.

· Three of my friends
9,755 Posts
Confused Jim. You acknowledged it was welded a while back. The rotor and armature on my pto are are one solid piece. There are spot welds in the rotor grooves connecting the two parts.
I could see it was welded but was confused as to whhat was welded,I just assumed that the slots were welded up for some reason,that’s why I asked to see the other side but now I understand they are welded together,I went back and looked at the picture and could make out the clutch is welded the the rotor but not understand what click you heard when the pto was activated
Yor gonna need the complete,minus coil ,unless you going to replace it also.👍👍
Some people like that don’t deserve a 318

Reactions: GreenGabby
101 - 120 of 149 Posts