My Tractor Forum banner

1987 318 restoration ... southwest Wisconsin

11018 Views 197 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  GreenGabby
Back to work on the 318 I brought back from Pennsylvania a couple of years ago with a 44 loader installed. Tractor and loader were complete but were used hard an put away wet. The loader is nearing completion on a 332. The 318 was a non-runner. Seller told me it ran but was a heavy oil leaker. I cleaned up quite a bit on it and started restoration and recording over on WFM. I am banned from there so am finishing it up here.

If you are a WFM member you can read about work already completed. You should be able to find the post using 318 s/n 424191.

The tractor is a 1987 (s/n M00318X424191) with P218G Onan engine (esn J863146817).

As I said the seller told me the tractor was a running tractor and the main crank seal was the source of the oil leak. Before I spend money on the engine buying seals,etc I want to make sure it is a good running engine. Not concerned about oil consumption that can be fixed with an overhaul.
  1. Someone had removed the screws attaching the relay to starter housing so the starter would not crank the engine.
    • I had previously removed hood, grille, side shieids, battery, negative battery cable, and battery tray. The fuel line, throttle and choke cables were disconnected as was electrical connection for front pto and headlights.
    • Today I raised the engine and installed new screws (one was missing) to reattach the relay.
    • While the engine was raised I did the best I could to clean the frame under and around engine.
    • Lowered engine back into position and bolted in the engine.
    • Tested starter and engine now cranks. No suspicious noise but engine seems to crank to fast. Need to finish engine installation and try to start.
  2. Engine needs other work but like I said I need to make sure it runs before I spend money on it.
    • Left front mounting tab is broken off oil pan. Needs new pan.
    • Fill tube needs a new gasket. I have had to replace this on other Onan engines. It can be another major oil leak source.
    • While engine is out I will replace oil filter/pressure switch housing gasket. This is another known source for oil leakage.
  3. Need to remove the left side console cover so I can access hydraulic control levers. The set screws/keys anchoring the arms to the lever shafts are allowing the arms to turn on the shafts. I have repaired this on numerous open frame 3XX tractors.
I will get some photos of where I stand on tractor repair.
See less See more
Reactions: 5
21 - 40 of 198 Posts
Front of the pump,it WILLfail
Thank you. I will include M85508 ($41.96 USD) when I remove the engine for the final build. Pricey little seal isn't it?
Reactions: 2
A bearing place can get it for you,

Attachments

See less See more
  • Helpful
Reactions: 3
Great write up, thank you I’m following along, I’m glad there are a few of us bringing back some older models
No work on the 318 today (yesterday). I took Christmas off except for shoveling some snow.

Thanks ltcffl03. IIRC I gave $300 for this tractor. Just trying to get myself an inexpensive 318. Hoping the engine is ok except for some seals and an oil pan. Goal is to have the tractor ready to run by end of week. First I have some snow to clear. I have more snow on the drive from last night than I did from the big storm.
See less See more
Have you checked for fire at the plugs,if so it will run,love these old motors but they do have their issues which most time common and have happened b3fore to others.
I haven't put effort into trying to start it yet. I did get the starter fixed and it does crank over. Have not checked the plugs but I do have 12V measured at the coil. Personally I think I will have a fuel delivery problem. As soon as everything is back together I plan to dump a little gas down the carb to see if it will fire and prime the fuel system. Been clearing snow a couple of days. Hope to get back to the 318 tomorrow.
See less See more
Heading to garage to do some work on the 318.

I have owned 6 open frame 3XX tractors. Four 318 and two 332 tractors.I have not put a lot of hours on any of them so am undecided about this charge pump seal @biker3777 has recommended I replace.If I do not replace it now it will require removing fender and driveshaft again to complete.I do not recall reading posts from other members having issues with this seal. What happens when the seal fails? Do you need to unbolt and move engine to remove the driveshaft? I just do not doing work twice. I have no issue replacing it now but it is not broken.
See less See more
Reactions: 1
Hydraulic oil will start leaking down the front of the differential and it requires removing the driveshaft or pulling the rearend as some have done
Great writeup Gabby! Thanks for all the pics. If you get a chance some time I would love to see how that loader is powered - does it run off the onboard hydraulics or is there a separate pump? Keep up the good work.
Model 44 loaders have their own hydraulic system. A gear pump is driven off the front pto. This is same pto as drives the mule drive for mower deck.

I installed new suction and return lines to the pump but I have a leak. That is about all I have to finish up to complete that project; need to find source of leak and make repairs. Loader may go back on this 318 if engine does not need repair.

I will have to look up photos.
See less See more
@gears I have a post over on WeekendFreedomMachines (WFM) covering 44 the loader restoration.

These two brackets bolt to inside of frame and capture the pump mounting plate. Bracket on left mounts on left side of frame and right bracket mounts on right side.
Wood Paint Gas Pattern Font

Pump mounts on this plate. Apparatus in 3rd photo pivots and captures lower part of left side mounting bracket. Mounting plate and belt tightening apparatus fit in slot of right side bracket.
Green Rectangle Font Circuit component Plastic
Newspaper Automotive tire Gas Motor vehicle Engineering
Cylinder Font Gas Auto part Metal
Gas Machine Camera accessory Audio equipment Auto part

Here it is installed
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

As I said earlier when I am finished with this 318 and if I can reuse original P218 engine I may reinstall the loader on this 318.
See less See more
Haven't had time to work on the 318 last two days and probably won't get on it tomorrow. I have ordered a charge pump seal from ebay, new Deere part in original packaging and a choke cable to replace the one that is stuck on the tractor. While I was researching in eBay I saw geargiadeere had 2 set of 318 brake shoes at decent price so ordered those for my inventory. Waiting to order oil pan, breath rubber tube, firewall insulation, and some fuel tank fittings and plumbing. Pump seal not expected until 3 Jan. Will have to see what else I can get done before then.
See less See more
Thanks for that info - pretty slick setup, you can turn it on and off via the clutch. Does the back of the pump input shaft get supported by a bearing or is it just strong enough to take the side loading of a belt drive? Heading over to WFM to find your posts.
No bearing. Self supported.
Cool thanks. Found your writeup on WFM.
Three hour doctor appointment, dinner out, and grocery shopping killed the work day for me.

Choke cable was delivered today. Tomorrow I plan to get the right side cover for the console painted. I have already wire brushed and painted the frame. I want the parts ready to assemble when the pump seal gets here.
See less See more
Reactions: 3
Gabby, If you need more time in your day I'm willing to due the dinner out part for you! You can just grap a P and J in the kitchen and eat that on your walk out ot the garage to get more done!

Hope all is well with the Doctor and you got enough shopping done for the next week.
The rest of the story.

Laurie was diagnosed with cancer about a year ago. Treatments were going well until they discovered one of the brain tumors that was treated with Laser had grown. Decision was made to surgically remove the tumor. That was completed. After 3 weeks of recovery and therapy she came home. I have to blame myself for not catching this myself but my specialty is hydraulic pumps not brain tumors. Her health gradually slid backwards and she was readmitted to hospital to relieve blood buildup in her cranium. Again, another three weeks recovery and more therapy she is home again. This time we contracted with county home care services to help getting her more situated to being home.After 2-3 visits they determined she did not need their services so we are on our own again. Major issue she is still having is double vision in her right eye. Today's appointment was first attempt to correct this.

Another little tidbit, about 20 years ago Laurie fell and broke some vertebra in her neck. At the time doctors told her she would never walk again. I have finally gotten her to use the electric carts in grocery/dept stores. Her stamina is not what it was before the cancer diagnosis. She has here own walkers but needs additional help. We are hoping she gets back to where she was before treatments.

I get my garage time between these appointments. I don't like waiting for parts which is where I am right now; waiting for that pump seal. I should look up part number for the o-ring used to seal pump housing to transmission case and get that ordered. I think dealer is open tomorrow. The o-ring (M45375 ... $8.55 USD) is not available at dealer so will need to be ordered.

We are doing fine Matt. Just getting old has its issues.
See less See more
The rest of the story.

Laurie was diagnosed with cancer about a year ago. Treatments were going well until they discovered one of the brain tumors that was treated with Laser had grown. Decision was made to surgically remove the tumor. That was completed. After 3 weeks of recovery and therapy she came home. I have to blame myself for not catching this myself but my specialty is hydraulic pumps not brain tumors. Her health gradually slid backwards and she was readmitted to hospital to relieve blood buildup in her cranium. Again, another three weeks recovery and more therapy she is home again. This time we contracted with county home care services to help getting her more situated to being home.After 2-3 visits they determined she did not need their services so we are on our own again. Major issue she is still having is double vision in her right eye. Today's appointment was first attempt to correct this.

Another little tidbit, about 20 years ago Laurie fell and broke some vertebra in her neck. At the time doctors told her she would never walk again. I have finally gotten her to use the electric carts in grocery/dept stores. Her stamina is not what it was before the cancer diagnosis. She has here own walkers but needs additional help. We are hoping she gets back to where she was before treatments.

I get my garage time between these appointments. I don't like waiting for parts which is where I am right now; waiting for that pump seal. I should look up part number for the o-ring used to seal pump housing to transmission case and get that ordered. I think dealer is open tomorrow. The o-ring (M45375 ... $8.55 USD) is not available at dealer so will need to be ordered.

We are doing fine Matt. Just getting old has its issues.
That is a difficult path she is travelling. Best wishes for your wife’s continued recovery. And to you as her caregiver. The Deere projects are a very worthwhile and constructive diversion - - you’ll be a better partner to her with these projects that allow you to take a break. 👍
See less See more
Thanks Urban Tractor.

Cleaned up the console right side cover and rust reformer is drying. Should be able to get it painted yet tonight.

Looking at the TCDM mounting. A previous owner has definitely been into this tractor. Module mounting bracket (M85226 ... NLA from Deere) is not what is on the tractor or has been modified by flattening the bracket? Why? Two nuts that bolt the bracket to the top of the steering wheel shaft cover are also missing. Cover has only 2 nuts holding it in place. Since mounting bracket is NLA I will need to make a mounting bracket. I will do better than using wire to hold it in place.
See less See more
21 - 40 of 198 Posts