My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm now a John Deere owner. I got the 1986 model 130 w/ 30" cut and it is in rough shape but I think with some new parts can be a great little mower. Here lies my questions. Where can I find replacement parts for this little tractor, my local John Deere dealer was kind of an *** when I had called them before so I haven't called back since. And I'm looking for good places to order online. I've seen some parts on EBay are there any other places hat you know of? Also does anyone know if there are some common parts between my tractor and another model that I could search for. I'm looking for replacement levers on the dash and for the deck drop and emergency brake. Also slew of other parts. Thanks in advance
-chris

·
Citizen of Earth
15,743 Posts
Check with our sponser at the top of the page "Keeping it green". They are a Deere dealer and might be able to get you what you need.

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
:ditto: Keeping It Green is a great sponser here with good service reviews, give them a try :fing32:.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
The 130 was the little brother to the 160, 170, and 180 tractors, so many parts interchange. The 130 had the smaller 9hp engine, the 30" deck borrowed from the rear-engine riders, and smaller tires. I *think* all the controls and linkages were the same across the line. Hoods, seats, etc were for sure.

The 165, 175, and 185 can donate most parts too, except for transmission or drive parts, as they were hydrostatic transmissions (versus 5-spd manual like the "0" models)

·
Certified Master Tinkerer
3,045 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well an update

I've made a run to Lowes and got a new battery and fuel filter got those swapped out. The starter is toast so went and ordered a new one off Ebay. Got some new tires coming from smalltires.com and then I've got a new blade, and a few other odds and ends coming from Keeping it green. So hopefully that stuff will get here sometime in the up coming week and can see if we can get this sucker running... if so then I'll be buying replacement parts to try and get her looking and functioning like she did in her prime. She's a bit rough right now.

·
3,045 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think the starter is bad. Reason is power is getting through the solenoid but starter doesn't do anything beyond. I'll order the relay if you think that would help.

·
3,045 Posts
Its completely possible your starter is bad. A bad ignition switch that won't fire the solenoid often displays symptoms consistent with a bad starter and is a pretty common problem on the 100 series tractors so I usually suggest checking it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok UPDATE Time... got starter in today and after a little coaxing it fired up... idle is rough but that's expected since I'm not sure when the last time the thing was running... got it running a little smoother after just letting it run for about 15 minutes restarting it a few times when it choked out... decided to push my luck so put air filter on it and closed her up and put her in reverse... it pops out of gear real easy and solution to that? but I digress

get her in reverse and back her up about 3 feet and engine dies... and can't get it started so open hood and remove air filter and it starts right up... so filter is too restrictive for it at this juncture but I figure that is fixable.... anyway leave the filter off to try it again and reverse to where I want to go, stop and go forward in 1st gear about 5 feet and was like wow the things actually working and starting to smile... so decide clutch in and push to 4th gear then it sputters and dies... try to start it up again and turn key and nada.. no click like it did before changing starter. power is getting to the solenoid as I can make quite the spark show. You think this is the iginition problem that you were talking about? Or do you think I blew up solenoid? or should I just replace both.

Thank you
Chris

PS got her some new tires and other goodies but want to get her running strong before I put all that stuff on her.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does anyone know if the Solenoid for the 160 is the same as the one for the 130? Also does anyone know if a Solenoid for an old Ford pickup truck would work as they are cheaper. They look awful similar.

·
Three of my friends
9,167 Posts
I doubt you burned the selonoid,did the motor turn over when you jumped acroo the posts?The Ford selonoid probably won't work,I tried one on my 316 but had to get the JD one,(only 15 bucks)but worth a try,I don't know much about the model you have so I wont guess what might be wrong.

·
3,045 Posts
You may get enough voltage to make a spark but there may still not be enough current to get the solenoid to engage. High resistance in the igntion switch could be the issue. At this point I'd put on the starter relay kit.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I doubt you burned the selonoid,did the motor turn over when you jumped acroo the posts?The Ford selonoid probably won't work,I tried one on my 316 but had to get the JD one,(only 15 bucks)but worth a try,I don't know much about the model you have so I wont guess what might be wrong.
The motor does turn over when I jumped the posts... before I changed starter it wouldn't but I guess that might be a given :)

going to order the ignition kit, having a little bit of a hard time finding a solenoid, are they normally over 60 bucks for this series of lawn mower??

·
Administrator
21,548 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll give that a try... today decided to try to start it as I was walking buy and it fired right up... which suprised me a bit... turned it off and went inside... came back out a little later and it fired right up again.

so official have a little gremlin...

anyone know where to find replacement wheels for one of these? mine are all banged to heck from previous owners and I'm also missing at one of the rear keys that locks the wheel in place on the rear drive shaft... the rear wheels seem to be stuck something fierce right now so sprayed with a little wd40 trying to let it soak in a bit. I have new tires I was going to put on these wheels but not sure if it is worth it, unless I can bend the wheels back which I have serious doubts about... also getting existing tire off is proving also a bit interesting. any suggestions?

Thanks for all your help :trink39:

·
3,045 Posts
Intermittent starting is most likely an aging ignition switch; the relay should fix that.

As for stuck wheels, KATT's nephew holds the record so far for best/worst stuck wheel story: http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=134867

I usually start with a few pry bars, screwdrivers, some mechanic's lubricant :drunkie: and a few choice words to remove tractor tires. I've had some luck finding wheels and tires on eBay, I just snagged a replacement pair of rear Carlisle Turfs on rims for my 110 for $75 shipped so there's deals out there if you look long enough. Hope #1,000 was helpful :fing32:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I managed to get the wheels off and turns out wasn't missing one of the key's but I bought 2 new ones today so I guess I'll slap those on... I truck over to the nearest JD dealership tomorrow to get the solenoid and ignition kit.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts