My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I need some advice. My K301 starter has stopped working, so I now need to either rebuild it, or buy a new one. I found rebuild kits on eBay for mid 70s case tractors, but not for my year. Any clue as to where I can find a rebuild kit or a reasonably priced new unit?

Thanks for any suggestions

·
Ingersoll Dealer
2,552 Posts
We have new available for $189.

Kohler OEM repair kits will run up to the $110-130 range, depending on what specific items you need.

Kohler cross reference part number is 45 098 11 ... high mount 13 tooth.

Brian

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You! Looks like a rebuild kit won't end up saving me much. I still need to do an in depth analysis on why the tractor is not starting. I am fairly confident it's the starter, but for that kind of cash I'm going to want to be Very confident.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I turn the key nothing happens. Maybe a faint click. I trickle charged the battery up and it did not help. The starter never seemed weak before, so I want to make sure thats what the problem is.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
You should start out with a fully charged and load tested battery. Then clean all battery terminals and wire terminals from the battery to solenoid to starter. Make sure you clean the ground point from the battery to the engine block. Don't overlook the possibility of a bad wire that has broken down internally under the outside insulation. You can test the starter by jumping directly from a known good battery to the starter terminal and a good clean ground on the engine block. It is also possible that the solenoid contacts are bad internally and that can be determined when you bypass the solenoid during the above tests.....

:fing32:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts