My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/grd/1266202254.html

Hey all,

Above is a link to a 1985 PK tractor (1614) I found while on Craigs today. I was not really looking for this, but looks very well built and clen for its age so I"m doing some research.

I currently have a Ingersoll 3014 with 14HP Kohler, but at least from the photos this looks quite a bit larger. Can anyone tell me if that's true -- is this thing bigger than my 3 series Ingy? I have seen from others in the PK area that they are "all gear" drive or hydraulic like the Ingy's? From the 1614 model, am I to assume it's a single cylinder 14 HP motor, or is it 16 (first 2 digits)? Would like to know a little more about it to see if it's worth persuing, like is the $1750 ask price too high for this age tractor? How are they at mowing, nice even cut, etc???? I have a pretty hilly 3/4 acre with only a couple spots of quite steep terrain.

Thanks all for any feedback and help,

Geoff.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
That is one awesome tractor I have a 2414 first two numbers tire size second two numbers engine size so that would be a single cylinder Kohler 14hp yes that is a really good price Also the three point hitch is a Cat O if that helps any

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
Don't know anything about them. From the looks of the deck it probably will give an excellent cut! Looks exactly like a Simplicity type deck with full rollers along the rear. Probably a floating / ground following that IMO provide the best cut hands down. Very few mowers nowadays come with this type cutting system.
It looks like one heck of a tough built machine. Good luck if you go look at it.

MU

·
Still plays with tractors
2,283 Posts
If that is a hydrostatic drive, go for it! If it's the 4 speed tranny, I would leave it. Reason being, the clutches in those are a very expensive weak spot. They don't take much abuse unless you are very lucky. I also doubt that it is a 14hp tractor. If I could see the top of the hood I could tell you. It will have the numbers up there. My guess is it's either a 17hp or 18hp kohler. If it's the KT17, again, stay away. 18 is fine. The deck is a good one with a good cut. It ia made by Simplicity. All of the decks for the fiberglass PKs were Simplicity made. Get more info and go for it based on what I have told you.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies so far, did not have time to go look yet but I called and asked a few questions....

It is the 14 HP Kohler and 4 speed manual tranny. Per your comment Jeff, did they all have weak clutch or certain years? With my hills, I may not mind the 4 speed an even my Ingy with Hydriv does not hold on the hills too well. So, would like to know more about the clutch comment...

He bought it from the original owner, has the manuals, etc... The deck is almost like new he says, orig owner used it more for snow and grading land than mowing. Also said 1985 was first year of fiberglass body, sound right? Still seems too high $$ for a 14 HP single and if the 4 speed is questionable.

·
Still plays with tractors
2,283 Posts
Well, it wasn't totally impossible for that tractor to have the 14hp single kohler. That's a good engine. I love them and they have plenty of power. If, however, you have a lot of hills, running a 60" mower with that engine, pulling that tractor around, you may not get the results you are looking for.

The clutch. The clutch will hold fine on the hills. That's not the problem. The general design of the clutch is the problem. They don't slip or anything. The self destruct. When they do, your only choice is to replace the assembly. I don't know what the price of that assembly is today but, several years ago, they were running $300 or better. That said, if all you are doing is mowing, you may be fine. Some folks never have problems with them but they are few and far between. All the fiberglass body tractors had these new clutches. The glass tractors came out in 92 (or close) but that was the smallest model that was ushered in while the steel bodied tractors were still in production. I believe the "official" date for the change was the 1985 model year.

·
Registered
384 Posts
The fiberglass models are not yet as collectible as the all metal tractors. Parts are still available for both the fiberglass and metal tractors (see http://www.powerkingtractor.com/). I have also heard of horror stories regarding the exploding clutch, but it may be due to how the machines were used by their owners. Btw, in my area that would be closer to a $2500~$3000 price tractor.

Regarding your question if it would be bigger than an Ingersoll 3 series? It would be a little bigger, and this model would be more like a 4 series (16" wheels) Ingy.

I have both a 1614 (metal body) and a 3 series Ingy, depending upon your needs those Ingy's are hard to beat. The Ingy is turning my PK into a trailer queen, as I am using the Ingy as my goto machine for mowing and general yard work.

My final opinion, I would probably skip this one and continue looking for a metal body powerking or look for a Case/Ingy 444 (probably a better tractor than a fiberglass model).

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I was able to full a full size fully loaded with people nowhere else to sit around our church field and lot uphill probably around a 10 degree slope no problems at all a friend of mine was really impressed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts