My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to forum and ownership! I'd love some advice - I have the opportunity to buy a single owner maintained 400 with 1,200hrs with a 60" deck, 3ph, etc or a 'new' X300. The x300 would end up being ~2X the price of the 400.

We have a 50 acre property - this would be to cut the lawn (<2ac) but ideally also maintain some trails through fields.

Any guidance? Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Personally I think you should go with the 400 because it is 3 times the tractor.
Oh and:Welcome1:

·
Super Moderator
17,111 Posts
The 400 is what I would go with for what you want to do maintain trails through the fields. It may be older but in the long haul it will probably still out last a X300 model. :thThumbsU
BTW welcome to the forum:MTF_wel:

·
Super Moderator
35,729 Posts
You may be asking the only question that has all of us in agreement! The 400 over the x300. Since you have most of the attachments you need you should do OK. By the way if that 400 has the rear PTO kit there are some 3ph mowers you can run off of it which may be more advantageous doing trails!

·
Registered
367 Posts
yeah, this one is easy. As long as the 400 is in good condition, then I would have no hesitation buying the 400 over the x300. Like was said.. much more robust tractor and capable of doing much more then a x300. Plus, the price difference you mentioned makes it an easy pick.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys I'm going to pull the trigger on the 400. It's been serviced annually and has already been serviced this year. No rear PTO, just the 3ph - not sure what I'll use that for yet (cargo carrier of some sort?).

Added benefit is he is delivering it - a 5 hr round trip! I'll let you know how it turns out!

Cheers

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
yeah, this one is easy. As long as the 400 is in good condition, then I would have no hesitation buying the 400 over the x300. Like was said.. much more robust tractor and capable of doing much more then a x300. Plus, the price difference you mentioned makes it an easy pick.
:ditto: and :MTF_wel: what ever you get :wwp:

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Keep in mind that the attachments for the other 400 series tractors (420, 430) will NOT fit the 400. It is the black sheep in the family of 400s. Doesn't play well with others. I had one for awhile. If you want it I have a JD manual for it for a decent price. PM me if interested.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes - I've seen reference that only '400' attachments will fit. It did have a blower and a cab, but he split and sold these pieces separately. Not ideal, but did save me ~$1,900.

We're meeting tomorrow afternoon - so the deal is basically done. Thanks again to all for the quick response!! :thanku:

Can you get universal blades that will work on the front, etc?

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
i c the plow blade , actually very often on CL, priced for $300-$400 I have a 400, and it works great, does an excellent job mowing and it does it pretty fast also. Im gonna find a 2 stage blower that I m gonna adapt it to run off the front pto, as many will say u,they are implement specific, i guess thats true if u arent able to do a bit of work to make something else work ! Good luck, good chioce!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I have a 400, there is a steady supply of used parts/pieces on Ebay as well as attachments. Yes, attachments for the front can be limiting, but it just means you have to be good at searching. The only thing I haven't found yet is an FEL that was made by John Deere. I have seen some aftermarket ones. Since you have the 3 pt hitch you should be able to get attachments for that. I see plows and blowers for sale all the time on Ebay. If you don't mind driving...

Keeping it Green has all the tune up/schedule maintenance items you need. If the mower does go South on you then you can always part it out and get back some of your investment, if not all of it.

·
Super Moderator
17,111 Posts
69project The 20 loader for the 400 is very rare. Though I have seen them for sale from time to time on Ebay. But if you really want a FEL bad just look at Kwik-Way.:thThumbsU

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Yes, I have only seen one FEL 20 and that was on another 400 for sale. I was actually going to bid on it and then the auction mysteriously ended. Go figure. I have seen the kwik way and may end up with something like that but I'm not in a big hurry to buy so I will search a little longer until my JD fund gets fatter.

Back on topic though, I have had my 400 since March and I bought it instead of either LA145 or X300 as well. For what I wanted to do with it and my budget, it was better for me to get an older Garden Tractor then settle for X300. They are nice but I would have torn it up. Besides, I don't have to worry about RIO or the demod process for that option.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well it was delivered friday night later than I expected, but I couldn't help taking for a brief spin (at least one of the front lights seemed to work!). I checked the oil, filled it with some fresh gas, greased a few zerks that I could see and waited for a bit of dew to burn off...

...well, I was very impressed. Within 2hrs of run time I had cleared a main trail through some fields that hadn't been cut this year and opened the paths around four fields. I then cleared along the long driveway and generally had a great time mucking about. It does seem to be a real work horse (and it can really move when it's wide open). Sounds like a real tractor when running - I'm glad a wore ear plugs. I'd run for about 30 min and then let it cool down a bit.

I definitely need an operating and maintenance manual as I'd like to do some fluid changes, the parking brake doesn't seem to work, etc. The hour meter is new, so I'm a bit skeptical about the hours, but it didn't blow up on me!

I tired to briefly jury rig a large garbage can as a tool holder on the back (still working on taking down all the burrs, thistles and other nasties), but that didn't work.

Thanks again for the advice!

Cheers

1 - 20 of 21 Posts