My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Unfortunately, it looked like rain, so I didn't get any pics, but this machine has performed its first mow for me and it performed beautifully with the original deck on it (for now).

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Finally some new pics:

I was just over talking to one of my neighbours. He has a 2-3 year-old Jogn Deer ride-on. When he first got it, he must've been despirate for the seat-time because he mowed my yard 3-4 times until I mentioned it was too short.

Anyway, his JD doesn't seem to offer as nice a cut as my old Gilson w/ 2-blade deck.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Just had the tractor out and finished what might be the last mow of the season. It's been two weeks since the last mow, and it was just due. Growing very slowly now.

Tractor worked flawlessly, aside from one of the idler pulleys on the deck is sticking. A little PB freed it up, but it's toast.

Got a quote of $250 to have the Ford deck blasted and powdercoated. Sounds a bit high, but I had one other quote for as much (maybe it was the same guy). Maybe I'll get it done over the winter. I'd like to check first that the electric PTO I have is operational though.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Got a couple new wheels/tires. Came off a larger LD dump trailer at work, that was written off/destroyed. Someone salvaged the wheels/tires from it, and they found me. $1.00 a piece.

Wheel offset is a bit different, so installed, the front wheels will be farther apart. Haven't tried them on for size yet. They have plain metal bushing-bearings on them whereas the stockers have plastic bushings.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Hey Coop, long time no see!

I had wondered how you were doing with the Gilson...and went back and reread your entire thread to remember where you were with the machine. Nice to see you still pluggin' along with the GT.

Mark
I've actually been quite active on the Walk Behind part of the forums, mess'n with Lawn-Boys.

I haven't had the tractor out of the shed since early Spring, mostly because of the perpetually flat tire, and otherwise, because of a bad idler pulley on the stock mower deck which I haven't gotten around to doing anything with.

I still haven't gotten anywhere converting it to electric PTO.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Got a couple new wheels/tires. Came off a larger LD dump trailer at work, that was written off/destroyed. Someone salvaged the wheels/tires from it, and they found me. $1.00 a piece.

Wheel offset is a bit different, so installed, the front wheels will be farther apart. Haven't tried them on for size yet. They have plain metal bushing-bearings on them whereas the stockers have plastic bushings.
I'm a little dissapointed that the wheel hubs are a touch too long on the axle and will not allow the cottar pins or inner/outer washer to be used. Besides, they're place the front tires about an inch past the outer sidewall of the rear tires.

Gonna have to get the tires swapped onto the stock wheels. I'd do it myself, but I can't even break the seats on the stock tires/wheels.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
Gonna have to get the tires swapped onto the stock wheels. I'd do it myself, but I can't even break the seats on the stock tires/wheels.
Seems nobody wants to deal with swapping these tires around and Princess Auto is out of stock on the small manual tire changers.

So I guess what I'm going to do is go ahead and modify these here wheels. Even after all is said and done, the wheels can't be worth much to sell, so I'll try to remove the inboard bushing, then with the dremel and with masking tape as a guide, I'm gonna go ahead and cut off the excess length from the hub of each wheel and reinstal the bushing.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Going to look at an additional deck for this tractor tomorrow. It's the same deck (in Orange) as the 2-blade deck I already have, less the holes/patched holes.

Owner says it needs bearings or something, but aside from one pulley, the deck I already have works, so I'll make one good solid deck out of two.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #51

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Haven't had this out of the shed yet this year :(

It needs (needed) new front tire(s) which I finally brought home last year. I got two Superior tires on wheels for $0.50 each from a JD dump trailer that was written off last year at work. The hub tubes though are too long. After shortening the outboard end, I still didn't like how far out they sit (past the rear tires), and I couldn't cut any from the inboard side.

I've yet to get the tires changed over to the stock wheels.

So, Princess Auto has Carlisle tires on ball-bearing wheels on sale for $39 from $59, so I grabbed a pair and the tubes are STILL too long :( but the offset is perfect.

I'm debating with myself whether I should modify the hub tubes and use them (ball bearings FTW) or return them and get the other tires changed over (stock steel(?) bushings).

·
Registered
174 Posts
Haven't had this out of the shed yet this year :(

It needs (needed) new front tire(s) which I finally brought home last year. I got two Superior tires on wheels for $0.50 each from a JD dump trailer that was written off last year at work. The hub tubes though are too long. After shortening the outboard end, I still didn't like how far out they sit (past the rear tires), and I couldn't cut any from the inboard side.

I've yet to get the tires changed over to the stock wheels.

So, Princess Auto has Carlisle tires on ball-bearing wheels on sale for $39 from $59, so I grabbed a pair and the tubes are STILL too long :( but the offset is perfect.

I'm debating with myself whether I should modify the hub tubes and use them (ball bearings FTW) or return them and get the other tires changed over (stock steel(?) bushings).
Hi,

I've been following your Gilson restoration project. Looking great.

In answer to that debate you're having with yourself about modifying the hub tubes and using ball bearings, please use the ball bearings.

If the original wheels used those plastic bushings, they were made to ride directly on the hardened steel spindles. Plastic riding on metal, they get along ok -- the plastic will wear out first, saving the expensive spindles.

But from what I saw of those other wheels you're trying to use, they have the plain metal bushings you described. If you put those on, it appears you'll have metal bushings riding directly on the metal spindles --not good, that will ruin your spindles in a hurry.

So either go back to the plastic bushings, or use roller bearing inserts on the wheel. I got some from Northern Tool, 1/5" ID 5/8" OD, rated for something like 1000rpm and 2000 pound peak load -- will easily handle your Gilson's front wheel bearing loads. (In fact, I doubled up and installed 4 per wheel, just cuz there was room in there. Talk about easy rolling.)

Good luck, and keep us posted on cool 3-blade 42" deck.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Hi,

I got some from Northern Tool, 1/5" ID 5/8" OD, rated for something like 1000rpm and 2000 pound peak load -- will easily handle your Gilson's front wheel bearing loads. (In fact, I doubled up and installed 4 per wheel, just cuz there was room in there. Talk about easy rolling.)

Good luck, and keep us posted on cool 3-blade 42" deck.
Project's at a real standstill. I originally got it b/c it took so long to mow with the Murrey push mower, but then I got into Lawnboys, and haven't really needed the ride-on.

So, the stock wheel hub tubes are pretty small, I didn't figure on finding bearings to fit inside, and still fit the shaft.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts