My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so it was hot, it was advertised for parts. I was there to get a 1966 Deere 110.

I thought I'd test the waters on Ebay with used bike parts. While Waiting for the 110 to recover after I managed to flood the carb, I jumped the Honda to see itf the engine would turn over. Then I squirted some gas in a sparkplug hole and it fired,
Not so long after I was driving it around the backyard without mufflers.

No title, no tail light, no ignition switch (runs off mag I guess) ripped seat, low tread tires. Can't go out of the yard, but I'm one of those guys with the wife who has a cow even thinking I might want a motorcycle.
So I did waste the money buying a battery at Wally world so I wouldn't have to jump it. Starter relay solenoid is bad. Have to hit the button until it starts or jump the terminals. I figure its cheap cycle driving lessons since I never got to drive my friends cycles. Can't get into too much trouble in the yard.
Yeah, I could see why peoploe would like to drive motorcycles but It won't happen here unless I want to do the arguing with the wife.
Guess I'll go put the carb on the 49cc Batavus sometime and see if I can get her interested in a scooter. Maybe I can work my way up.

$5 for thae parts bike, $35 for the battery. Still running on gas it came with.
I'm a cheap date.

Attachments

·
Grip it and Rip it!
9 Posts
That is quite a find...holy smokes. Looks like a whole lot of fun can be had on that thing, but I do think I'd dig up some mufflers. I had a Suzuki GS450 with no mufflers and it was deafening.

·
Administrator
21,526 Posts
Good snag on the bike, ABC. Maybe a starter relay similar to what the John Deeres need will fix your bike up.

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's really not particularly loud, but I'm keeping my eye out on ebay for some used mufflers. I'm SURE it will get a lawnmower solenoid in the very near future. Haven't had any time to tinker with it this week. It also needs some plugs and some carb work. Also the choke will stick on and you have to pry it back with a screw driver. Some soaking with some PB blaster should fix that.
I had just ridden it in the dew before the photos. Found out since that round smooth street tires and wet grass don't mix when it comes to cornering. Slid out from under me at low speed and left me sitting there.

I'll have to wait until the grass is dry from now on. Wish I had a bigger yard. When I was a kid, there were 3-4 other kids in the subdivision that had old ratty bikes just like this (but smaller..Honda 50's Harley 100 dirt bike etc.)
There were fields and woods all around our subdivision. Wish I had a bigger yard now. 6 acres is all I want to mow though.

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did find a set of slightly used aftermarket Harley mufflers that fit right on off ebay for $25 plus $10 shipping.
Sounded pretty decent.
Went to move it after sitting since mid October and the wally world battery was dead and not able to take a charge. Took it back today and they said sorry, that only had a 30day warranty. Heck the battery wasn't even hooked up. Worked fine last time it worked.
So I won't be buying another from there.
Also did a title search on it, and it came back none found, so at least the motorcycle isn't hot. I don't know what I'm going to do right now, but I won't be buying another cycle battery. I don't know how you guys do with them little worthless things.
It only runs off the right side until it warms up, and I think the left side carb is gooked up. I cleaned out the right side accelerator pump from dried up glop, ( it was clogged) and that helped a ton on the bog it has taking off, I'm sure the other side needs it as well, but there really isn't much of a priority getting it running better when I'm just driving it around the backyard.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts