My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Sonny the external ones are nice to deal with.

Mike I found the guy on craigslist. Oh he also made a throttle shaft for me. LOL!

Here is the add inPa. He keeps posting it every once in a while.

·
Premium Member
8,544 Posts
Wow, that's awesome, thanks!

Mike

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
This is repeat post from my small engine thread but it is relevant.

I am happy to report I figured out why I didn't have spark. I was messing around. I put all the old stuff back on. The magneto (after I cleaned up the armature), the condenser and the old points. I took the points off just to clean the area where the points cover gasket goes. I took out the plunger and inspected it, greased it and put it back in. I figured out how the shut off button worked. I also saw how you adjust the points with a screwdriver. I was looking at the flat ribbon-like metal spring that puts tension on the points. I thought why doesn't that ground out the ignition with the way it presses down and makes contact with the base of the unit. Figured Kohler knew what they were doing when they made it. When I went in for supper I was looking at the parts I ordered and examined the points. I had the breakthrough. The spring on the new one doesn't touch the base because the hole on top of the spring is held up by the screw that tightens down the condenser and magneto wires. I went back out after supper and did that and had spark.

Then the new parts came in the mail when I checked. I was't expecting them until Saturday. This project can go full steam ahead now.

·
Premium Member
8,544 Posts
This is hurting my head... Must post pictures...

Mike

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I have got the engine back together. There were some snafus along the way. The 3 top studs were not threaded all the way down into the engine block. They had some extra washers holding the engine shield down because they stuck up too far. I took them out and chased the holes and the stud threads. Then everything torqued down properly. I set the points gap at .020 and the spark plug gap and .025 and it fired right up. It sounds great too.

I needed a few nuts, gas line tubing and gear oil and by the time I got home I needed to start cutting the grass. The engine runs. The grass is cut.

Tomorrow morning I will replace the gear oil in the transmission and rechange the engine oil again and I am ready to till. I will get some pics in the coming days.

I think a victory dance is just around the corner.

·
Premium Member
8,544 Posts
Sounds good, but we need more pics!!!

Mike

·
Citizen of Earth
15,279 Posts
I love a happy ending!

41 - 48 of 48 Posts