My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I am pretty sure it is a 1980 Troy Bilt. These are the reasons.

1. The reverse disc has a single bolt and washer and not the 3 allen head screws. That started in 1976.

2. Horse II 4 speed and one belt started in Feb 1978

3. Production started with the Kohler 7 HP engine in Mar 1978

4. The numbers on the tiller and the engine both indicate 1980.

·
Joe
1,211 Posts
That would be the bigger pulley closest to the engine. Right?
No. The lo speed pulleys are the rear set closest to the operator. Farthest from the engine and closest to trans.
But... Let me get to my manual and double check. Old mind isn't quite what it used to be and I don't want to steer you wrong.

Yep. Engine side Hi speed, trans side Lo speed

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks micah. I downloaded the manual last week or so. I checked an hour or so ago and thought I was wrong. Glad you chimed in and confirmed it.

·
Premium Member
8,996 Posts
Wow, getting closer! The pics are always helpful, even without stickers. As you've noticed, the designs changed over the years, so the pics help folks here narrow it down for you.

I have two of these. One is older than yours, has a Tecumseh (presumably with a broken rod) and is in a hundred pieces. The other is a 90s PTO model with a Briggs.

Did you get any manuals or paperwork from the seller?

Mike

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
No I didn't mike. I am gong to start looking for original manuals. There are quite a few of these in my area that pop at auctions.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,291 Posts
+1 on what Bontai Joe says. That is most definitely a 4 speed Horse and should have only 1 belt. Just my personal preference but I always use the rear pulley set. They are the Lo speed setting. When breaking new ground I also use the lo setting on the speed selector. Come to think of it the only time I switch to hi gear is when I'm traveling with the machine. I do a lot of garden tilling for people and I don't want to ruin my equipment.
I have a 1979 Troy-Bilt Horse that I used professionally for about 10 years. I tilled a LOT of gardens and made at least 3 times what the tiller cost me in the first 2 years. And I set the belt on my machine exactly like Micah has his and my use matches his also. Set in the low range and used the high speed just to get from truck to garden and back and low speed for tilling.

Reactions: micah68kj

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I haven't been working on this because I have had a series of annoying injuries that wouldn't allow me to bend my knee, then my lower back and then I got bit by a dog on my hand. Finally I recovered only to reinjure my knee but not as bad. Now I think I will be able to get some work done on this.

I removed the extra belt. I also have figured out how everything works. I got a new flywheel. I have rebuilt the carb. Before I started all this it did have spark. Now it doesn't. I am figuring that out. Flywheel is the same and has charged magnets but maybe not as strong as the old one. Thoughts??

I was wondering if I could put an electronic magneto on this and bypass the points and condenser. I might just get new points, condenser and magneto but I was exploring options.

Does anyone have a points, condenser, magneto replacement parts number or an electronic magneto number. I found a possible number for electronic one of 2575710S if it can be used.

points 471500 ??

Condenser 235286 ??

I have to go to work and will check back tonight to see if anybody had some info.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Everybody is out tilling or maybe fishing. It would have been a nice day outside today for anything.

·
Premium Member
8,996 Posts
I was outside all day, fixing and using a mower. Still need to get the garden tilled and planted.

As I mentioned above, I don't have a Kohler on my Horse, so I'm no help. Someone here should be able to help, those were very popular engines!

Another idea would be to post your question in the Small Engines section of this site. You may be more likely to get a faster engine repair response there.

Hope this helps.

Mike

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
The pic. looks exactly like my old 2-speed jobber that I bought new in 71 or 72. ----NEVER had an ignition problem with it! In fact it still has spark, but just uses too much oil and fouls the plug in and hour run time.

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Thanks Mke. I haven't tilled yet either. I usually have things in the ground by June 1. But there is still time. I think I can bypass but I am going to keep it point and condenser. One of the reasons many people go with the electronic magneto is so they don't have to take off the flywheel to change the points and condenser. On the K161 you have to take off the flywheel to get to the magneto anyways.

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Hey there Sonny. I didn't see your post last night. Thanks for joining the discussion. I know some people that have had one, abuse it, never did anything to it and it starts up every year.

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I am making some progress in the other thread. With myself but it is progress. I don't think you can use or they even have an under flywheel electronic magneto. It doesn't matter to me because I am definitely keeping it points and condenser.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,291 Posts
Sticking with the points and condenser is definitely the way to go in my opinion. Sorry to hear about all the injuries. Sounds a bit like my past 6 months. I wish you the best on getting it back running.

Reactions: MoJoMowerman

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Thanks bontai.

I am feeling confident that I will get it running. It is actually in decent shape. These machines are kinda simple but ingenious. The reverse mechanism is a perfect example. They are built like a tank. Back in 1975 to 1978 I used to rent one each year to do a garden. We were young and moved every year so I had to break sod and I was amazed what they would do.

I sent for the actual Kohler coil kit and I found it for $119. It was $148 on one site and $136 on another. I also bought the Kohler condenser and points. The points actually looked fairly new but the condenser looks old and has darkened but it did test OK. I figured I hardly paid anything for the tiller and I have it apart this far I invested a little money on the good stuff.

I hope to use this tiller for the next 10 years or more. It already had brand new tires and a new belt. It had 2 on so I have a used back-up emergency one too. I bought a new throttle cable and had the carb rebuilt buy a Kohler carb expert for $20. He took it apart and put it back together while chatting with me. He was in his 80s. He had a shop with 7 different lathes for different things. He used several little specialty tools I never saw before. The throttle plate and choke plate were sticky and each had one of the tiny brass screw heads stripped. He had them out, put new pins in, new screws, put a new little bb size ball and spring in, cleaned it, put it back together and handed it to me in like 20 minutes. Oh and he had girlfriend and a daily driver muscle car. He said he always loved to drive and still does everyday. It is his favorite thing to do.

The parts will be here on Friday or Saturday. Then I will put it back together on Monday. If it starts I will be tilling Monday afternoon. Then if it works like it should I might even paint it.

·
Premium Member
8,996 Posts
Awesome story, how'd you find that carb expert? That's dirt cheap for a rebuild, I doubt you can buy a kit for $20!

Can't wait to see pics of your resurrected machine churning up your garden! You'll definitely get another 10 years out of it.

Mike

Reactions: MoJoMowerman

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I always loved the points and condenser on the outside where you could get to them if you ever needed to! ----I hate this new stuff where you have to take half the motor apart just to get to the ignition module, which is a pita to get set and working right when you have to reach in there and work with one hand!
Still wanted to rebuild my old 17hp motor off my allis 917-h. It has the coil ( battery ignition) and points all on top of the motor.
This 18hp that they stuck in it before I got it has the module behind the engine cover and it wont come off without taking the motor out of the tractor just to change the module!

21 - 40 of 53 Posts