My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is this tractor worth the owner says it blew out a seal he thinks. He started it and went to blow snow and it blew oil out. It has a tiller snow blower and deck. He wants 1200obo. Where do you get parts for these do they still make them? Can you tell what model it is? Here is a pic.http://www.bismanonline.com/viewBigImage.php?a=665257

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a s-16H with a year-old rebuilt motor (k341 engine) on it, 48" deck, 48" blower that looks exactly like yours, weights, chains and a 54" Chalmers blade.

I got it the day after Thanksgiving last year for $1,000.

Since then, I have put on a new starter, fuel pump and line, mower spindle set and 5-wire harness on it. Except for the spindle set (top to bottom fix,) I was more ticked about the amount of time I couldn't use it as opposed to the amount of money I put in it.

I have no idea what a seal does or how expensive it is, but I had an old mechanic come on out and help me with the wire harness, and he said he'd rather have my setup than even the new mowers - he said those new engines will die before my rebuilt one will, easy...

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Wear did you get parts for it is there still dealers for there. What kind of motors do these have in them? How much to rebuild them if you do it your self other than machining? Is it hydrostastic.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Great units. Parts are available at most on line retailers.

I get my parts from the local dealer.

I had to replace the front seal on a GT 14 a while back and it was something like 2$ for the seal. It was a bit of work to get at it since I had to dismantle the engine shroud and then remove the front PTO clutch to get the shaft cleared for insertion of the new seal.

Both of mine have had Kohler engines. The GT 20 I have now has a twin engine, which is the cat's a$$.

Tons of power and lots of attachments out there for these things.

Mine came with a tiller, front blade, 60 inch deck, powered grass catcher, two stage snowblwer and 3 point hitch. I paid 3250. I probably overpaid a bit, but at 1200 I think your;s is pretty good deal.

Put oil in it ad start it up and see where it blows out to verify the bad seal story.

I do aso know that theres a place online that specializes in repowering tractors and they have several kits for the ariens models. I think he;s using Briggs industrial motors. Semms to me that the kits run about 1200.

At worst you's be in this thing for 2400 and be able to do way more than a deere 500x series for a fraction of the price .

I know that there are FELs for these out there if you look hard enough and I even saw a backhoe for one on ebay a while back.

Good luck.

HB

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wow - those are some great pics! And whoever has 29 of these is my new hero!

Look on the ariens website to find a dealer near you. My s-16 is a hydro as well, and a Kohler engine to boot. I've tried - at time unsuccessfully - to do every fix myself except the engine, PTO and hydro. I've bought some repair guys over to see if there's one I can count on in a pinch.

I'd rather learn from someone who knows their stuff before I start messing around with the big stuff on my ride. Might be more expensive, but that's the way I want to go.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do ariens still make tractors?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its an 17hp series 931000 tractor. The mower deck is 48". Are these shaft drive or belt? What about the tiller and snowblower shaft or belt drive? How heavy duty of a garden tractor is this?

·
10,731 Posts
Shaft drive on the accessories. These are about as heavy a machine as Ariens ever built.

One word of caution. The engine is the infamous Kohler KT 17. Check to see if the engine is a Series I or II. The series I motors were splash-lubed, and had a design flaw in oil distribution. A series II motor will have a filter or a block off plate on the motor to remotely add a filter.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Shaft drive on the accessories. These are about as heavy a machine as Ariens ever built.

One word of caution. The engine is the infamous Kohler KT 17. Check to see if the engine is a Series I or II. The series I motors were splash-lubed, and had a design flaw in oil distribution. A series II motor will have a filter or a block off plate on the motor to remotely add a filter.
REALLY, I've seen a bunch of series ll's or what were marked series ll's and I saw no block off plate. Why would they not just add the filter rather than make a block off plate? Especially after all the problems they had with series l. The only difference in the engines I can see is they added a oil fill cap and shortened the dip stick to hold more oil. I'm going to look at the manual and then go to my buddy's house and look at the KT17 series ll I gave him, BTW, I've seen brand new KT17 series ll blow up in less than 3 years, All of them were junk, some just more than others. A lot of people repower their tractor with the M18 kohler magnum, which does have a oil filter. BTW, good running Ariens with just a deck bring no more than 700-800 on craigslist or ebay. It is th only tractor I know of with 3 lifts and 3 PTO's

·
Registered
331 Posts
There is a plate on the series ll's, it's to access the oil pump for service and to be able to add a oil pressure gauge, same system as the series l. I checked the manual and it verified it, but also shows series ll's has having double the oil pressure as the series l's, due to a maybe a stronger oil pump, or more oil. The problem is, or was, it wasn't just the low pressure the series l's had that made them fail, it was the lack or size of oil journals going to the outboard connecting rod, the one furthest away from the pump. They increased the oil pressure from 5-15 lbs on the series l's, to around 30-35 lbs on the series ll's, but the same problems still occurred in the series ll's, but just not as often. The main reason being that people quit buying them. In all fairness a lot of the series ll engines were good, but they all had to be overfilled slightly, not run on inclines, and not run for extended periods of time, they just wouldn't hold up. The Magnum series that followed more than made up for the KT17's. The BIG question I have, is why didn't we see this problem with the KT19's or KT21's, was it there too, but they just didn't make that many, or what. they are virtually the same engine. I just never heard anything about any other engines in this series having the same problem.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If i bought it i would proably repower it with a vanguard briggs and stranton. I have found a website that has had alot of good luck with these. THey are and industrial motor so they are made to be run hard. They have repowered lots of tractors with these motors weithor it be johndeeres or any other older gt.

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
You'd be way ahead to find a good running 18HP or 20HP Kohler less issues to deal with and a better engine.I have a Briggs Vanguard here now out of a White 1855 with less than 300hrs on it with about 1/2 inch side to side play in the crankshaft on the flywheel end

·
Registered
331 Posts
You'd be way ahead to find a good running 18HP or 20HP Kohler less issues to deal with and a better engine.I have a Briggs Vanguard here now out of a White 1855 with less than 300hrs on it with about 1/2 inch side to side play in the crankshaft on the flywheel end
Gary's 110 percent correct. I've bought two Magnum engines, one a 18hp and one a 20hp off ebay for less than 400.00 delivered. Neither one had more than 400 hours. I've got two of these engines in tractors approaching 4000 hours, You'll need 3-4 Vanguards to get that many hours. Not that the Vanguard is a "BAD" motor, it isn't, it's just you can do so much better for a **** of a lot less money, and have an engine that actually came in the tractor.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts