My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Any owners of a 316/Kohler out here that could help?

I just picked one up for $200CDN in not running condition. Here is what i have done.

Replaced bad battery with good battery.
Topped up oil
Added fresh gas
Removed carb bowl and drained what looked like old gas mixed with water.
Replaced spark plug

Now i got it running for a few seconds with either started fluid or dumping gas in cylinder.
The strange thing is when i start it and hold the ignition key in the run position it stays running??? Does it mean i have a faulty ignition key? I assume its not good for the starter???? I noticed that i sometinme i have good spark but sometime no spark?? Can anyone help?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Sounds like multiple problems to me. One is fuel, the other electrical! If you found gas & water in carb bowl, probably water in fuel tank. Drain tank and add fuel. Remove fuel line going into fuel pump and allow fuel to come out for a minute or 3 to get any water out of the line. Connect line to pump, disconnect line to carb and crank engine. This will purge carb line of water. You may have to dismantle carb and clean also!

Electrical issue sounds like seat switch and/or pto switch. I'm assuming you meant hold key in START position, not run. Verify seat switch is working...with 100 pounds on seat, switch should be closed. Disconnect/re-connect pto switch & ignition switch plugs several times and spray terminals with parts or contact cleaner. cycle pto switch on/off several times. Reconnect everything and try again! Bob

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi so everything works good as long as I keep holding the key in start position. I noticed the PTO plug is out and something is sticking in the plug. Please see the picture but it works that way.

Also I noticed on the second picture there is a plug out on the left side ? Anyone know what its for ? Is that the plug for the safety seat switch?? What am I missing??

Attachments

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
First pic: I'm thinking PO had problem with pto switch and bypassed it. That's a jumper to allow engine to start when pto is on.
2nd pic: Yellow is usually ACC wiring. Follow other yellow wire and I think you find it goes to light switch. Connector should/could be for hour meter or cigar lighter!

I'm thinking pto switch is shot, but possibly something to do with seat switch! Disconnect seat switch plug, turn key to "Run" and verify one wire has 12 DCV. Other wire should have continuity to ignition coil. More checks and post results, Bob

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I'm not really familiar with the 316, but thinking the early 316's (yours) doesn't have fuses. There should be a small red wire coming off of starter where battery is connected. Follow this, possibly underneath the battery tray, and it should lead to a circuit breaker. BUT, if circuit breaker has tripped, engine will not crank!

Pto switch is typically the culprit...about $35 to replace. Start there. Bob

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok any idea what part # i need? The pto switch still works as it should even thought its bypassed.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
AM39489 is the JD part number for the switch and comes up as $24.70 at my dealer.

A helpful "tool" is jdparts.deere.com. You can enter "316" in the Model Search box, select your tractor and then find every part for your tractor. If you create an account there (free) and chose your local JD dealer, you can enter a part number in the "Parts Search" box and it will show some details of the part, the price, and if your dealer has the part on hand! Very good site, but like all web sites, a little confusing at the beginning until you get used to it. Bob

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok thanks on the website it says it fits a 316 with onan engine but i have the one with the kohler do you if they share the same switch?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
There are 2 listing on the website for the 316 tractor. One listing states, "300 and 316.......PC1474", and the other listing states, "316.....PC1980". The first listing is your tractor with a Kohler and the second listing is for the Onan. Deere made 2 versions of the 316, one in '78 with the Kohler and one from '84-'92 with the Onan. These are 2 completely different machines in more ways than just the engines! Bob

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok thanks. So why do i have to replace the pto switch even though it works as it should? Its not defective??

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Peter, Pto switch has a jumper in one plug. This is a good indication that the switch is going bad...it may not be 100% bad now, but it's going bad. If you don't want to replace it just now, lets do some more checking. I've been using a wiring diagram for a 314, but I just found the correct diagram for your 316.

Do you have a volt meter and familiar enough to use it? These are all electrical checks so a meter is necessary.
Move Fwd/Rev hydro lever out of Neutral...a little fwd or Rev. This will open neutral start switch and engine will not crank. Turn pto switch "Off". Connect voltmeter to + side of coil,other lead to ground, and turn key "On". You should have 12 volts. Turn key to "Start". You should still have 12 volts.
Locate plug for seat switch and disconnect. Check wires in plug that goes under fender deck. With key "On" and pto "Off" you should have 12 volts to both wires. Turn pto "On" and one wire should have 12 volts, one wire will not.
Do these checks and report findings, Bob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts