My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was mowing my lawn the other day and the tractor died. It is getting fuel and no spark. I tried starting it several times and it would just turn over and over. I tried again half an hour later and it started but died after 2 minutes. I changed the plugs and this didn"t help.

Any suggestions on diagnostics would be greatly appredciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I was mowing my lawn the other day and the tractor died. It is getting fuel and no spark. I tried starting it several times and it would just turn over and over. I tried again half an hour later and it started but died after 2 minutes. I changed the plugs and this didn"t help.

Any suggestions on diagnostics would be greatly appredciated.

Thanks
If you haven't replaced the points/condenser lately I would start there. If the engine starts when cold and dies after warming up it is usually an electrical problem.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Try your local NAPA auto parts dealer. They have an Outdoor Power Equipment catalogue to look up such parts. As Barton said, start with new points and condensor but if the problem persists, then the next suspect is the ignition coil. NAPA can sell you a Bosch coil that is designed to run on 12 volts directly. Do not make the mistake of installing a coil that is for ignition systems with resistors in them.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Any Ingersoll dealer should have the parts in stock and you might also try a John Deere dealer or RV dealer if you're in a hurry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts