My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
first post here.
I bought this machine yesterday i knew it didn't run but figured I could rebuild or replace the motor. I have the hood but no front grille.

The 16hp onan had one piston completely grenade. When I pulled the head I was looking at the end of the rod and the wrist pin! The cylinder is probably beyond being re-bored.

I hooked up an electric motor with a belt to the hydraulic pump and had the loader going up/down and the bucket rolls.

It is nothing to look at but hopefully if I can find an engine it will at least do some work for me.

Any one know of an engine for sale near kingston NH?

Thank you,
Eric

Attachments

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,265 Posts
I have a nice 18HP Onan model with a filter (many did not come with that) I will trade you for the loader :D I'm in Mass Or better yet, I will trade you a running driving fresh restored tractor for the whole thing :) See it here 18/6 restore

·
Subsurface dweller
194 Posts
I do not mean to hi-jack the thread but I am contemplating installation of the same KW loader on a different tractor. If it were not too much trouble could someone post the wheel base of these Sears tractors? Eric's tractor and loader combo were very popular and I would like to get a feel as to where they mounted the loader fore/aft. The main towers appear well back on the Sears installations. If you have the tape out handy and measure the wheel base, could you also measure the distance from ground to bottom of cross tube the towers clamp to and better yet, the tower forward face to front wheel centerline. Thanks in advance for any help!
Good luck with your Sears!:fing32:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the RESONABLE offer GT_80 but.. I think I 'll hold on to the loader.
LOL

Zippez,
I will take the tape out and check for you.

Any idea on what motors will fit to replace the original 16hp onan?
It has a 1.125" shaft.

Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
dont the xx/6 tractors have diffrent chassis? mine does. looks like a ss, st, etc.... so probably an earlier model year

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
i see grasshopper:thThumbsU

·
5 Onan Flush
622 Posts
I will give you my kidney and left lung for the loader! SWWWWEEEEETTTT. I just wish I could even find a loader for sale.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes it is a 1977 16/6. At least, what there is of one.

Thanks guys for the offers on the kidey, lung and tractor but I like my loader!

Had to test it today to see what it would lift. I put 4 cinder blocks and a big rock in the bucket and it lifted it off the ground, I had to stop though as the rear wheels came right up. I already had wheel weights on, the tires are loaded and then I put a cinder block and some scrap steel in the weight box. This is with the pump being run via 1 hp electric motor!

I want to put a motor on this thing to see what it can do.

Eric

Attachments

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
couple more pix.

Attachments

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Zippez,

The wheel-base is ~43", from the front of the upright to the centerline of the front wheel is 25". I measured 8" from the ground to the bottom of the bar under the upright.

Hope that helps,
Eric

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ncplowboy,
Nice tractor!
I just spoke with someone who has a 16hp from a st16 I think. I hope to go look at it in the next day or 2. He also may have some other goodies that my tractor currently is missing.

Anyone know if this wil be a plug n play? Fabrication isn't a problem as I have a machine shop but, it would be nice to know ahead of time.

thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
ncplowboy,
Nice tractor!
I just spoke with someone who has a 16hp from a st16 I think. I hope to go look at it in the next day or 2. He also may have some other goodies that my tractor currently is missing.

Anyone know if this wil be a plug n play? Fabrication isn't a problem as I have a machine shop but, it would be nice to know ahead of time.

thanks,
Eric

If it's a single cylinder Tecumseh from a ST/16 the tractor will need some new wiring and a few holes drilled to mount the engine.

The SS/16 has a different key switch and regulator then the ST/16.

·
Addicted To Tractors
194 Posts
nice loader you should restore this beast the loaders are definetly rare. especially mine, with self leveling i havent seen many of those at all

·
Finally at 1k!
1,518 Posts
nice loader you should restore this beast the loaders are definetly rare. especially mine, with self leveling i havent seen many of those at all
They ant rare here in Minnesota, we get at least one every month.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts