My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, does anyone have experience replacing the radiator on a Ford 3000/335? I have a leak, it's not too bad yet, but sooner or later it will be. It looks like there are two big bolts at the bottom, and 1 or 2 small screws on each side. The air intake is in the way if I wanted slide the radiator up, what's the best way to get that out of the way? Is there more to it? I am also hoping someone had a good experience with and aftermarket radiator,..I hear sometimes the size is slightly off.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have not much to share on this, besides that the bolts at the bottom are carriage bolts. Their heads sits in pockets at the underside of the radiator. So if you loosen the nuts a bit, you will be able to slide the radiator off of the heads sideways, it does not take much. Maybe you can get the heads loose if you wiggle the bolts sideways.

These two bolts are the only fasteners for the radiator on my 4000. The radiator hoses holds the radiator in place. There are small screws on the sides, but they just hold the fan shroud.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Taking the nose off helps out when changing out the radiator.

·
Premium Member
7,928 Posts
As Hakanth says, the radiator is only held in place by the bolts at the bottom. The small screws on the sides are to hold the fan shroud to the radiator. The upper radiator hose helps keep the top of the radiator stable as well. According to the parts drawings it should have a separate transmission oil cooler in front of the main radiator. I can't tell from the drawings how it is mounted so it may need ot be disconnected from the main radiator or removed with it.

As Mike said, removing the sheet metal around the nose of the tractor makes it much easier to remove the radiator. I don't even think it will come out without doing so. The air intake tube will come out with the sheet metal and will no longer be in the way once the sheet metal is removed.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys. Yeah, I do have the transmission oil cooler, I was just going to ask if that has to be removed or not, I guess I will have to see.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Just thinking:
If you remove the fan belt, fan shroud and fan, would it not be possible to get the radiator out backwards and up?

·
Premium Member
7,928 Posts
I'm not sure, but if it could be done it would be a very tight fit and you would risk damging the fins on the radiator, which would be fine for the old one if you are replacing it, but would be a concern on the one that you are intending to install afterwards.

If you can remove the air tube in addition to the shroud, and fan then I think it would be easier. Looking at the parts drawing the air tube may be able to come out separately as it is connected to short pieces of rubber hose at each end via hose clamps. The parts drawing doesn't show that metal strap that appears to be welded to the tube in your picture though, so yours may not be quite the same as what's in the parts drawing.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I gave it a try this past weekend. Managed to loosen the nose enough that the radiatior could have slid up and out without obstruction. The air tube came out relatively easily.

The I attempted to remove the large nuts from the bolts that hold the radiator down and the left side one just started spinning. Not sure how the bolt is in there, but it is not accessible. The only thing I could think of was to cut it off. But that would not have been easy either.

The coolant leak is very slow - a pint or or so a month - so I just stopped and put everything back together.

If you have any ideas let me know, I may give it another go in a few months.

Thanks to all for all the previous advice!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts