My Tractor Forum banner

101 - 120 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Hi "Thanks, Larry, and good point about the stamped serial number. You'd think it might be displayed somewhere else vs. just the decal on the front of the grill. Maybe Gary (GB in MN) knows for sure."
I don't know I've only lifted the tunnel assy on my 73 to get the rear trans cover off and since I knew the SN I never thought to look after I had it back together thought about and wish I had looked, from the research I've done it wasn't always done at the factor and not a priority then seen if the fellow that was to do it was busy with something else it didn't get done and then I read that the dealers were suppose to do it but again it wasn't a priority so not many got it done. The decal looks nice but its really worthless on couple of mine I've cleaned the dash with a cleaner/wax and after a few times the numbers are very faint so I've cut a 1/2" X 2" strip of aluminum stamped the SN into it and then pop riveted it to the dash polish it with some mothers chrome polish and it looks nice.

·
Super Moderator
15,505 Posts
My decals were gone when I got mine. I've been told a lot of them had the number stamped on the frame under the left foot board. Haven't hada reason to disconnect all the hydraulics to take the tunnel off yet

·
Super Moderator
12,616 Posts
I really like the new tires. The rears look especially good. Your PK wears them well. The wheels turned out very well too. I've heard about PKs and the second, or auxiliary transmissions, but have not known exactly how they appear, or work. Now I'm anxious to find out.

·
Super Moderator
15,505 Posts
I really like the new tires. The rears look especially good. Your PK wears them well. The wheels turned out very well too. I've heard about PKs and the second, or auxiliary transmissions, but have not known exactly how they appear, or work. Now I'm anxious to find out.
They are two of the same transmissions in tandem. You can see on mine that the shifters are different though. Like Austen said, you can really gear it down to run something like a tiller.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #105 (Edited)
Thanks Dave. The install will be a learning experience for the both of us.

·
Super Moderator
15,505 Posts
Another interesting article

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #107 (Edited)
Another interesting article
Love it! Hadn't seen that one before- thanks for posting it! Reading old articles, advertisements and brochures for vintage equipment is one of my favorite pastimes. I always appreciate the pride they had for their equipment back then. It's not always something you see in today's comparable literature. It also sort of gets me in the mindset of what it was like when these machines were new in their heyday I guess too and tells a different story... what their about. A different perspective sometimes.

Thanks for that.

·
Super Moderator
15,505 Posts
Maybe you haven't seen this either

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,505 Posts
Some neat ephemera.
Not only that Ellis but these are some nice historical documents that probably no one thought would be of any significance this far down the road! :sidelaugh

·
Premium Member
7,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Here's some pictures of the tiller installed. Per design, it's geared too high without the use of the optional secondary trans- (a future winter project install) but I've tried it out a few times in some softer soil. It's an interesting attachment, in particular how it was designed to mount and run off the PTO. I don't think it's built as heavy duty as some but for lighter work in a garden bed it'll be fun to use and I'm always glad I have another use for the tractor.

The tension system for the belt was missing so I devised a chain hook-up which seems to do the trick.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Hi Austen thanks for posting the pictures I was thinking about you and the tiller project, it looks good on the tractor. Have a question what are you basing the not so heavy duty observation? I have no idea as I have not seen one other than pictures and by the way your pictures are great. Have you done anything on the 2nd trans install do you have all the parts now?

·
Premium Member
7,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #114 (Edited)
Hi Austen thanks for posting the pictures I was thinking about you and the tiller project, it looks good on the tractor. Have a question what are you basing the not so heavy duty observation? I have no idea as I have not seen one other than pictures and by the way your pictures are great. Have you done anything on the 2nd trans install do you have all the parts now?
Thanks, Gary. I do have all the parts now to do the swap thanks to your help. John was very helpful in supplying the last few odds and ends- thanks again for putting me in direct touch with him! :)

It's a neat attachment but I would not use it for heavier jobs. The weak point, IMO, is the "driveshaft" which is basically a fairly small gauged steel rod that has evidence of its weak points. It's deceiving because you see a large tube enclosure that goes underneath the tractor making you think it must have some big driveshaft in it but in reality it's a very small steel rod that doesn't take much to flex that is housed in it. What's funny is that there's a heavy-duty u-joint assembly in the front, much bigger and stronger than the rod, which the rod connects up to via a key way which is well on its way to getting stripped out due to its in ability to hold up to the high stresses of a tiller. Basically, you have a heavy duty part that is connected up to something much lesser in comparison. It also has a shear bolt that goes through the u-joint and the rod but it's apparent that it's sheared a few many of them in its time, which has also taken its toll on the rod but not at all the u-joints. Had they made the driveshaft the same size as the u-joints in the front and had a splined setup over the key ways for the attachment points, it would've been a stronger design IMO.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Hi Austen thanks that makes sense like you say its deriving I would have thought they used a heavy duty shaft you'll have to work on redesigning that after you get the trans in. Your welcome I've had good dealing with John so I try to help him out to.

·
Super Moderator
15,505 Posts
Looks Good Austen. It will be interesting to see how it performs.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Austen i have owned that same tiller and rebuilt it . you need to add a heavy duty spring at the frame end of the tension chain . when set up right that tiller should push tractor around when put to deep in ground . also you will be surprised when you go to add second transmission that the tractor itself has the same small splined shaft that runs in a tube connecting transmission to rear differential . it must have a high tensile strength steel because i never heard of one breaking . i have heard of them rusting out and stripping at the spline connectors if they set outside for years

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,616 Posts
The tiller looks good on your PK, Austen. I was also surprised when you mentioned some weakness because I noticed that the gearbox and tines looked well built before reading your text.

·
Collector of many tractors
15,274 Posts
I think this posting needs a bump. It has been to long since we got any news about putting in the second tranny...so... whats up?

·
Premium Member
7,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
I think this posting needs a bump. It has been to long since we got any news about putting in the second tranny...so... whats up?
Hey Kevin, it's nice of you to bump the thread and check in. I shamefully have not yet done the swap. I sold my second tractor earlier in the year for another one that I'm in the process of getting and didn't want the Economy to be down for an extended period of time until the other one came. I am anxious to do it though as it will increase the efficiency and usability of the machine in certain situations. I will most definitely document the project when the time comes. Thanks for thinking of this and requesting an update. :fing32:

101 - 120 of 137 Posts