My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this 1977 1650 for free from a buddy. He gave it to me with a plow When i got it it didnt run. I cleaned the carb and replaced the fuel and it started right up and ran good, besides for smoke. I believe the rings are bad, but i havent had time to tear it apart yet. I tore it down and found the motormounts are worn. Here are some pics i took so far, and there will be more to come. This is my first tractor restoration and im pretty excited! when it is done i plan to get ag tires for it and use it around the house.

·
Farm Show
5,386 Posts
Good deal! Nice to have you with us here at MTF! Your 1650 is very nice. It was the largest tractor in the Quiet Line Series. Glad to see it getting the attention a great garden tractor deserves.:fing32: Let the enjoyment begin! Here is a picture of my 71.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
AND....you have a fairly rare model. Your 1650 has Front Hydraulics. That tractor is definitely a keeper. You are a lucky dude.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
I agree with everyone else - I'd love to find a 1650 myself. And with the front hydraulics, you can really have some fun. Looking forward to the resto!

·
forkz
6,004 Posts
that 1650 looks pretty good my bro has one he had for years bought almost new its been a great tractor he just put new tires all the way round he will not sell for anything

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! I didnt know the front hydrolics were rare! :trink39: After finally getting the steps off i herculined them. Ill need a few more coats. ill post more pictures tonight

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got a little done tonight. I put another layer of herculiner on the steps

Sanded the hood and one of the side covers down to basically bare metal

Tomorrow im hoping to finish up sanding. I'm getting the back fender piece sandblasted soon hopefully. My girlfriend bought me all the new decals for xmas and am also getting new motor mounts for xmas also. I cant wait!:trink39:

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
Now that's a thoughtful girlfriend!
What's in that gallon container to the left of the hood?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its called rust prep. I havent decided if i am going to use it yet or not. After i sanded all the paint off there were still little spots of rust. Im going to try sandblasting it first but if all the little dots of rust dont go away this stuff is supposed to reform it.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Good deal! Nice to have you with us here at MTF! Your 1650 is very nice. It was the largest tractor in the Quiet Line Series. Glad to see it getting the attention a great garden tractor deserves.:fing32: Let the enjoyment begin! Here is a picture of my 71.
Man Joe, that 71 is outstanding.

:thThumbsU

·
Farm Show
5,386 Posts
Looking good! There is a WF engine cradel mod., too that can be done. RBedell might know about it.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
Yeah, I'd definitely recommend the engine cradle mod, rather than just replacing the ISO mounts if you're going to have the engine out anyway. You'll get more life out of the new mounts, and if done right, will reduce vibration in the way the QL Series was designed to in the first place:

Cub Cadet FAQ - ISO Mounts/Rail Modification

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow that is great information! Since the motor is out and probably will be out for awhile until i get to tearing it apart i am definatly thinking of doing that! thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
No problem - anything to get that 1650 back to brand new! The more I see the QL Series, the more I want one....

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,157 Posts
Looking Good. I will be following along on this one. I have 1250 that I am going to start to restore and modify sometime in the near future.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Looking Good. I will be following along on this one. I have 1250 that I am going to start to restore and modify sometime in the near future.
Esnb74, if you need notes/help on the 1250, feel free to contact me.

I restored a 1200 Cub Cadet (straight drive version of your 1250) last year.

I have a lot of notes as to what I went through on the research and trouble-shooting.

After all, one good turn deserves another. :trink39:

Cheers!

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,157 Posts
Esnb74, if you need notes/help on the 1250, feel free to contact me.

I restored a 1200 Cub Cadet (straight drive version of your 1250) last year.

I have a lot of notes as to what I went through on the research and trouble-shooting.

After all, one good turn deserves another. :trink39:

Cheers!
Thanks! :trink40:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No problem - anything to get that 1650 back to brand new! The more I see the QL Series, the more I want one....
Just from the little bit i drove it around before i tore it apart you can tell it was a beast. I already like it better than the sears ss/16 i had

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry if i am not as detailed as some other resto's on here, if you have any questions about what i did you can always just ask or pm me :trink39:
The original plan was to not go all out and just make it look decent but the more i work on it the more perfect i want everything to be. so we'll see how far i get into it.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts