My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1976 300 deere with a 48 inch deck. everytime i take off my snow plow i spend all summer trying to keep belts on it. i am talking the mule drive belt. at first it twist the belt then it ends up breaking them. is there a site that has all of the spec to adjust the mule drive and the little tabs that attach to the deck?. this is getting very expensive replacing belts and then having them twist on the pulleys when i turn on the pto. i love the old girl to death and my wife is not happy with me wanting me to get a differnt mower. to me this is not an option. please help thanks dave

·
Super Moderator
35,862 Posts
jeepguy, pictures would really help us figure out what your issue is. Can you post a few? Also, welcome to the forum! Have you tested all your spindles for free movement, check idler pulleys for alignment (if they tilt just a little they will let a belt either throw or get caught in a spindle!)

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
jeepguy as far as I know the deck drive belt is adjusted by turning the knob on the front of the mule drive. There should be a sticker on there with an initial adjustment marking. Adjust it with the deck in the raised position. The adjustment on the mule arms is for pitching the deck. First make sure it is level from side to side then pitch it about 1/4" lower in the front. Like PA318Guy said pictures might help us understand too. :goodl:

·
Registered
367 Posts
It sounds to me like you're running the belt to loose. They need to be "banjo"tight . The sticker should give you a good place to start. But tighten it to the upper end of the range on the sticker. My 300 did it once, then I tightened it to the tight side of the sticker range and haven't had a problem in 3 years.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts