My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey everyone, I inherited this Gravely 810 from my grandpa and have a few questions.
What gear oil should I use for the transmission and what oil should I use for the engine? The engine is a Kohler 10 HP.

As you can see in the photos I don't have much room to take this thing apart and am on a limited budget. I have decided to repaint everything and clean it up to get it ready for winter. Does anyone know where I can get Gravely "red-orange" spray paint?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Banned
647 Posts
As you can see in the photos I don't have much room to take this thing apart...
DUDE!!

Seriously!?!

You have the TAJ MAHAL of garages.

You should see my little Gravely shack.

Little more than a woodshed. Stacked from ground to roof with junk.

Good grief.

You city folk are spoiled rotten.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DUDE!!

Seriously!?!

You have the TAJ MAHAL of garages.

You should see my little Gravely shack.

Little more than a woodshed. Stacked from ground to roof with junk.

Good grief.

You city folk are spoiled rotten.
Haha! I'm no city folk. I've got fields all around! My dads 1964 Falcon takes up most of the room!

·
Banned
647 Posts
You even have a concrete floor, for God's sake.

You should try doing Gravelys the old fashioned way: ON A DIRT FLOOR!!!

Dropping little screws down into the dirt and then you can't find them.

Trying to clean off the attachment bolts when they drop down into the dirt and get all filthy.

Looking for that wrench that you just dropped which is now covered with dirt.

LOL'ed.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Hey everyone, I inherited this Gravely 810 from my grandpa and have a few questions.
What gear oil should I use for the transmission and what oil should I use for the engine? The engine is a Kohler 10 HP.

As you can see in the photos I don't have much room to take this thing apart and am on a limited budget. I have decided to repaint everything and clean it up to get it ready for winter. Does anyone know where I can get Gravely "red-orange" spray paint?
What I wouldn't give for that space....

To answer your questions, SAE30 for the motor if the temps stay over 32F. For the tranny, there are about a dozen "right" answers and I'll let the pros weigh in.

For the paint, Duplicolor 1607 Chevy Orange is trypically readily available and a good match. There are about a dozen other answers to that question, though too! :fing32:

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, the latest Gravely recommendation for transmission oil is 10w40.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I thought multi viscosity oils were no good for transmissions because the loads broke them down to the point that they become ineffective. I run strictly SAE30 in my engines and transmissions, year round. Even last year when it hit -5 a few times, nothing more than a slightly dragging starter in most cases.

·
Registered
384 Posts
You get that Gravely put back together you might have to keep it separated from that green looking tractor. A fight might break out. I think I know who will win :fing32:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the tip on paint yamato70!

I guess I'll use SAE30 for both the engine and transmission fluids.

Thanks guys, any more tips are greatly appreciated.

The JD may be 18HP and the gravely only 10HP, but the Gravely is a much heavier tractor, The JD is mostly plastic.

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
I thought multi viscosity oils were no good for transmissions because the loads broke them down to the point that they become ineffective.
That is not exactly true for all transmissions. In motorcycle transmissions, a standard engine oil is not a good idea for the reason cited and other reasons. However in the Gravely transmission the common 10-30 engine oil works well. If it did not Gravely would not recommend it.

Obligatory anecdote:
I have been running 20-50 in my Gravely transmissions and engines for about 16 years and have yet to have a single transmission or engine failure due to lubrication issues. The only failure I had was due to abuse.

Gravely specifies 10-30 API Service SC (1964 Gasoline Engine Service - Obsolete) engine oil in my 24G transmission. I use Castrol 20-50 due to the extreme heat here in Texas. The fact that it exceeds API service SM, SL, SJ and SH adds a certain amount of additional protection compared to API SC.

When I lived in Chicago I would run 10-40 because the ambient air temp would be below 20 degrees for a few months out of the year and ambient air temperatures above 100 degrees was very rare. Here in Texas 100+ degree days are common.

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts

·
Back in VA!
215 Posts
nice project - nice garage, nice falcon. im looking forward to see the finished result. i have to paint my 816 this winter too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone.

Just an update, the metal on the seating area/engine cover was tore in places so I had to send it out to a welder and got it back today. I ground the surface rust of the rims with a wire brush on a drill and started painting them. Next thing is to do is paint the hood, seating area, and finish up the rims. I will get some pictures up in the next week or so. This will be a slow project due to having limited time to work on it.

Cheers,
-Blake
:trink39:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's been a while since I posted on here but the gravely's been a work in progress.
Last summer was mowing the belt finally gave out. Went to a farm equipment store today and the original belt is 117" OEM according to the guy in parts who called gravely to find out because it wasn't in their catalog. The issue is the belt that was on it was 114" and with the OEM 117" belt it would have a ton of slack.
Does anyone know part numbers for a 40" deck belt on a 1970's Gravely 810?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts