My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 1975 diesel tractor 545 need advice on removing fuel injector pump from tractor..what about timing? Thanks!!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Are you sure about model and date?
Fastest and safest way to get help is to post a picture showing the pump.

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
The 545 was made from 1978-1985, so if it is a 545 then it wasn't made in 1975 and if it was made in 1975 it isn't a 545.

With that being said, a 545 or any similar 3 cylinder Utility or Industrial Ford tractor of that size and hp made from 1965-1985 should have a CAV rotary pump, but if you are way off on the model it may have a Simms in-line pump. Both pumps are driven off of a gear on the front of the engine and besides the visible bolts holding the pump flange to the engine, the pump is bolted to the gear so you have to remove the small cover on the front of the engine just in front of the pump to remove those bolts. If is a CAV rotary pump then there is a dowel on the front of the pump that goes into a hole in the gear so that you cannot put it back in out of time. The Simms in-line pump does not have a dowel and so it is possible to re-install it out of time, so you need a service manual to follow the proper procedure for removal and re-installation so that it is properly timed after you are done.

The easiest way to tell which pump you have is to look at where the lines going to the injectors are connected to the pump. If the injector lines are connected to the top of the pump, one in front of the next, then it is a Simms in-line pump. If the lines connect near the rear of the pump at various spots on the round housing then it is a CAV rotary pump.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your reply. the part number on the fuel injection pump is 3233f651 im thinking its a CAV rotary pump..where do I find the serial number for the model of my tractor so I can order the correct parts Im in Tucson AZ any pump rebuilders in my area...Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
There should be two places where you can find the model number, but it is sort of in code. The easiest place is on a foil sticker on the underside of the right side hood panel, above the battery. If the sticker is still there and is still legible post the model number, tractor number and unit number. There are other numbers on the sticker but they are just date codes for when various sub-assemblies were assembled, like the engine, transmission, hydraulic top cover, hydraulic pump, etc.

The second place is on a flat spot on the right side of the transmission bell housing just above and just toward the rear of the tractor from the starter. It is behind the upright of your loader frame and it may be hard to get your head in there to see them The numbers there are stamped into the metal and may be covered in paint, making them even harder to see. Here is an example picture of where the stamped numbers are located:

And here is a close up of the numbers from another tractor:

Again, post the numbers back here and we can tell you exactly what model it is, what transmission and PTO options it had when it left the factory, and the date it left the assembly line.

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
DD211F is the model number. Here is the breakdown:
DD2 - means it is a 535, not a 545. The 535 was made from 1975-1978
The first 1 means that it has a diesel engine.
The second 1 means that it has no PTO.
The F at the end means that has the 4x4 torque converter auto reversing transmission.

7F27B is the Unit number, which is a code for the date that the tractor left the assembly line. Yours did so on June 27, 1977 during the day shift.

C545035 is the serial number, which is a 1977 serial number and it agrees with the Unit number.

That is definitely a CAV rotary pump in the picture and the 535 only ever used that pump. Removal and reinstallation of the pump is fairly straightforward as I said previously. Firt cleanm the pump and entire surrounding area with a good engien cleaning product, and then you disconnect all of the lines from the pump and cap them so that no dirt can get in and cover the ports on the pump where the lines were connected as well. Then disconnect the throttle linkage from the pump as well as the shutoff cable. Then remove the front cover that is on the front of the engine directly in front of the pump body to gain access to the pump drive gear and remove the 3 bolts holding the pump to the gear. Then, after making note of the timing mark on the pump relative to the marks on the engine, remove the two bolts holding the external body of the pump to the engine and then the pump should come out. When reinstalling, do everything in the reverse order making sure that the dowel on the front of the pump goes into the hole in the gear, and make sure you set the timing marks back where they were.

I still recommend that you get yourself a service manual if you don't already have one, but at least now you know what it is so you can get the correct manual.

I don't know of any specific diesel shops in the Tuscon area, but any good diesel repair shop should be able to do it for you, although some do charge a lot more than others. A full rebuild of that pump should cost around $600.00 or so, and any place that wants to charge you significantly more than that are just trying to pad their pockets. If you can't find any place local you can go over to the Ford Forum at Yesterday's tractors and ask there. There a few members over there who are certified diesel technicians who will rebuild it for you at a reasonable price but you will be paying shipping as well, but that will only be the real shipping charges, not inflated "make a profit" shipping prices that some places seem to want to charge.

Ford Tractor Forum at Yesterday's Tractors

1 - 8 of 8 Posts