My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this project started with the understanding that something had to be done with this hydro before the season began. It finished last season with high temp readings from the heat gun after an hour of use (lawn cutting) of 190+ degrees in the center of the transaxle. After being warmed up the tractor would have some issues going uphill, it would start to pull the motor down, and to me the hills were not that big to cause such action. I pulled the hydro out and took it to Kenco Hydraulics of Hatfield Pa for an estimate of damages and this is what they found.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Looks like a rebuild kit to me! I assume the piston assembly on the left is the old one? By the photo it looks like some scoring occurred. That means the thrust plate has to be replaced too. What fun!

·
Northwest PA Bolens Fan!
315 Posts
Hi TRX,

What was the cost of the whole rebuild, if you don't mind sharing? I have 6 of these Sundstrand 15's...and none of them are new. I'm probably looking at a rebuild in my future sometime.

Thanks!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Expensive,, it was sticker shock to me, now heres the thing, I priced a used one from Sam's at $375 (as is) and I could be buying the same thing I have. Or he said he could have it rebuilt for $1300 but, he is a 1000 miles away and my recourse would be limited if anything went wrong.

By the way all above pics are of used parts.

Kenco on the other hand is right down the street and gave me a one year warranty if they did it, but their price was $1950, with a 1000 in parts. Ken (of Kenco) went over all the bad parts with me listing some parts that some mechanics would reuse that he would not. I had to sit on this decision for a week and think about this.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In the end, I went with Kenco because I felt I trusted what they were doing that I had no idea what I was looking at. The mechanic who brought it out pointed out to me that (in the pic below) was the main culprit for most of the dives woes, the Valve assembly had actually folded over out of it's shaft. At the time of inspection I was told the hydro had about 60% blow bye.

·
Registered
844 Posts
In the end, I went with Kenco because I felt I trusted what they were doing that I had no idea what I was looking at. The mechanic who brought it out pointed out to me that (in the pic below) was the main culprit for most of the dives woes, the Valve assembly had actually folded over out of it's shaft. At the time of inspection I was told the hydro had about 60% blow bye.

So that little piece caused $1950 worth of ***age. WOW. :sorry1: to hear it.

Good luck from here on out.

:trink39:

·
Registered
844 Posts
I see MTF is now using a bad word filter and blocking words.
The word I spelled that came up with stars in place of letters was d+a+m+a+g+e. Now why would a word (D-a-m) describing a wall that holds water back be blocked?

·
22,335 Posts
I see MTF is now using a bad word filter and blocking words.
The word I spelled that came up with stars in place of letters was d+a+m+a+g+e. Now why would a word (D-a-m) describing a wall that holds water back be blocked?
I'll pass the word up the line and get it fixed. There have been a few other words getting censored lately that weren't censored before.

If it makes you feel better, when I got one overhauled 30 years ago, the price tag was $1152. I didn't even blink. It's my hobby. Now if that had been the price to fix the tranny in my truck at that time...... not a chance!

·
Northwest PA Bolens Fan!
315 Posts
Holy Cow...I have been thinking of opening a small business...like an ice cream stand or something like that. Maybe I'll have to consider a Sundstrand rebuild business!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
SnowmanPa, after going this far and learning what I learned, I would not hesitate to dive into this unit now. The clock ran out on me and the grass is growing. Now that we know we can get parts & or rebuild kits, you are fortunate you have six of them to work on while keeping the machine in the field.

the larger 5 blade fan from Sam's does fit, and just clears the hydro pipes by about 3/8 of an inch. One thing tho I had to file some material from the inside to get it to fit good.

Got it all wrapped up, and started the tractor for the first time, ran for 30 seconds then shut it down and checked the fluid level in hydro, it was 2 quarts down from full, (refilled).
All I can say is wow, this thing feels tight, the deck lifts in half the time as before and I think I gained about a mile per hour back up to the factory spec of 8 mph.I got the ever so rare moment of what this tractor must have felt like when it was new.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pump going to new home in Canada to power an HT20,, strange how life works sometimes, and keeps moving on..

·
TractorNewb
127 Posts
Pump going to new home in Canada to power an HT20,, strange how life works sometimes, and keeps moving on..
What happened to the QT? At least some HT20, a model I'm fond of, is getting new life.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
921 Posts
Over the years I have found B.J. Hyds. best place to get Sundstrand parts. [email protected] has a rebuilt one for a HT, you can get another pump plate and it would work in a QT Bolens. Or you buy it take it apart for those parts you need to repair another hydro. You can e-mail him for price.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
About ten hours after this project was done, the Onan motor imploded, so I set the entire tractor aside. Then raised my head into the community to see what was out there. I found a GTX20 with 724 hours for a $1000, grass cutter 60 deck. And picked that up, (power steering is nice). Then was informed of an estate sale with a GT2000 with just 61 hours on it. Picked that up for $700 with 60 deck. Just been cutting the lawn with no maintenance issues for these last years.
QT16 Was a very good tractor, no regrets, made it up a different way.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts