My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking around and can't seem to find where the tach cable connects? Can't find it in the IT either.

Also would any auto parts tach work just as good as a ford cluster tach?

Thanks

WILTZ.

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Premium Member
8,092 Posts
In another post you said that it has an alternator, so you don't have anywhere to attache the tach drive cable. Originally your tractor had a generator and an external voltage regulator, and the generator had a little gear box on the rear that drove the tach cable. The armature of the generator drove a gear and the gear drove the tach cable.

You have a few options:

1. replace the alternator with an original style generator and voltage regulator and drive the tach off of that.

2. Replace the alternator with one that has a tach drive. Folks make them and sell them for a pretty penny to folks that want the modern technology of an alternator but still want their tach to function.

3. Since you're going to be buying a new instrument cluster anyway, convert to the 3600 style gauges and install the tach drive from a 3600 on the engine. If yours is a 1974 model, then you should have a round plate on the side of the engine block near the oil filter where you can install the 3600 style tach drive. You will also have to replace the oil pump drive gear with with one from a 3600 to give you the recess to accept the tach drive. If you go this route, you have to use the gauge cluster from a 3600 or later, as the oil pump tach drive spins in the opposite direction as the earlier generator based tach drives, and so they switched the rotation of the tach needle. With the earlier generator tach drives, zero rpms is at the top right and the needle moves clockwise as the rpm's increae, and with the later oil pump driven tach drive, zero rpm's is at the top left and the needle spins counter-clockwise as the rpm's increase.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh! That sounds like a lot of work. Will have to go with the ear tach for a while I guess. May rig up an electric pto tach. Shouldn't be to hard a signal ring, a sensor, and a digital gauge. But all I'm doing is bush hogging so the eartach may have to last a while.

Thanks again NRN.

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Premium Member
8,092 Posts
They do make digital tach's that have a magnetic impulse sensor that you can clip around one spark plug wire. You can find them for around $35 on ebay and amazon.com

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
That might not work very well on a diesel tractor ;).

I found an electric PTO Generator tach that counts the drive shaft rotations. $60 online.
Was going to post it but now i cant find it. (google Drive shaft tachometer, its there somewhere - for anyone in the future).

**EDIT**

ok i found it. Google SenDEC tachometers. They offer all kinds of tacks for rotating assemblies. the simplest is a magnet you glue to the drive shaft then mount the sensor just above the magnet. Sends signal to a digital read out.
simple to fancy $60 to $300 depending on quality/features.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts