My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
jbs1257
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, I just aquired a 1974 646 that i am having some questions about with the tractor moving in forward. I have never owned a 646 and do not know what to compare to. All of the linkage was worn pretty badly so we purchased the entire banana plate and all linkage etc associated with it from Salem Power Equipment. The hydraulics seem powerful with the lift and the bucket curl. The 3 point goes up and down pretty quickly. When it is in reverse in either hi or low range it will peel the tires but in forward it seems really sluggish and takes a while to get going. I would have figured it would be a little more identical in forward and reverse. Is it more of an adjustment of the link to the valve or are these designed to be like that. There is not anywhere the pedal movement in reverse as there is in forward. Or is there the possibility of a bad o-ring in the valve body? Any suggestions are greatly appriciated. Like I mentioned earlier, I have never owned one and have no way to judge what it should be like.

·
Registered
124 Posts
If you're seeing different travel, it's likely the banana plate is not moving the control valve spool as far in each direction.

Did your repairs replace the ball end fitting that is screwed into the end of the spool in the valve?

Slop in the linkage will lead to different travel of the spool.

Need to get under the tractor with it off and manually move the pedal and see how far the spool strokes in or out of the valve. Adjust it so that the amount of movement is the same in and out.

Congrats on the 646. I have a 1973 646 and LOVE it. Lots of posts on the coltcaseingersoll.com forums about the Case loaders

·
jbs1257
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply, yes I did put the ball socket end on and everything that is associated with any linkage for the plate. I will get back under and try to adjust and inform of my findings

·
jbs1257
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finally had a chance to take a look at the 646. Checked out the operator manual for their suggestions on travel and adjustments. I found out first off I forgot to put the washer on top of the control lever where it goes through the banana plate. That caused it to move around quite a bit before even pulling on the valve. I also had to adjust the ball socket some. The travel pedal was hitting the floor board not allowing full movement of the valve. All seems to be much better now. Even in high range it will pull a pretty good hill. Before I couldn't even get it to go up the driveway to get into the garage without going to low range. Thanks for the suggestions!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts