My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator and over 6K Posts!
6,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the eBay section but thought I would post here for the most exposure. Saw this on eBay and then noticed it was at a local dealer. Went to check it out today. Missing both roller covers and the lock out mechanism. Lots of paint loss. Engine is not seized but when turning over with the blade it is sticky. Recoil rope is all the way out and tied off. One small chip under the deck which doesn't show from the outside. They are asking $250.00, shipped. Probably a good candidate for a restore. There is a correct chute for this on eBay from another seller. Any opinions as to the value? They told me this was removed from one of the hardware stores storage sheds and hasn't been started in years. I said I thought $250.00 was a bit high. Thoughts? Bill

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132878516740

·
5K Poster!!!!
5,329 Posts
I agree with you Bill, a bit pricey for me to. While it is a good candidate for a restoration the money and time required to get that one done would be cost prohibitive in my opinion. The handle needs new chrome (probably 500 bucks, at least), the deck looks like it's weak from severe corrosion and pitting, probably been stored outdoors for much of it's post life. I do have an NOS short block for those shaft drive D-400s and someday would like to restore one, but not for that kinda money.

·
5K Poster!!!!
5,329 Posts
I would put the value at around a 100 bucks. If it had been cared for really well, stored properly and so forth, then I could see 250 bucks easy, but not this one. Nothing wrong with keeping things original, but this one is beyond the limits of good patina, and therefore in my opinion, would need a really good restoration.

·
LBAD Victim
1,055 Posts
I posted this in the eBay section but thought I would post here for the most exposure. Saw this on eBay and then noticed it was at a local dealer. Went to check it out today. Missing both roller covers and the lock out mechanism. Lots of paint loss. Engine is not seized but when turning over with the blade it is sticky. Recoil rope is all the way out and tied off. One small chip under the deck which doesn't show from the outside. They are asking $250.00, shipped. Probably a good candidate for a restore. There is a correct chute for this on eBay from another seller. Any opinions as to the value? They told me this was removed from one of the hardware stores storage sheds and hasn't been started in years. I said I thought $250.00 was a bit high. Thoughts? Bill

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132878516740
I don't know. I would consider that, especially considering that you have it's brother, the liberty. The fact that you would have a pair of them would be extremely rare, and the resale value would be through the roof with a pair of restored/great condition pair of the "freedom line." I would consider paying that.

Riley

·
6,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had given it some thought. The chute that has been on eBay for a while for the Stars and Stripes is no longer available. White chutes do come up once in a while. The cosmetic issue is not such a problem. I think the handle could be polished up but for that price I would expect it to at least run. Not sure why they didn't at least have their shop look at it. Probably cost them too much for their shop guys to mess with. If I could pick it up for $75 to $100 I might think about it. By the time all is said and done, decals and paint, plus all the mechanicals, it would probably cost over $100.00 to $150.00 to get it up and going. Bill

·
6,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They did change their listing to reflect 1973. I sent them a message stating that I was looking into what it would cost to do a restore on it. If the handle is bad I'm sure there are donor handles out their from a SP. Also told them I might be interested in taking it on consignment to see what it would take to get it running, therefore making it a better candidate for a restore. I have sent a message to GYM to see if they have the decals in their data base for the Stars and Stripes. The Liberty decals are $70.00. Bill

·
LBAD Victim
1,055 Posts
They did change their listing to reflect 1973. I sent them a message stating that I was looking into what it would cost to do a restore on it. If the handle is bad I'm sure there are donor handles out their from a SP. Also told them I might be interested in taking it on consignment to see what it would take to get it running, therefore making it a better candidate for a restore. I have sent a message to GYM to see if they have the decals in their data base for the Stars and Stripes. The Liberty decals are $70.00. Bill
Good idea. If the handle is bad, I believe I still have the handle from my old 8253 that you and I parted out.

·
5K Poster!!!!
5,329 Posts
In regards to the handle not being up to par. I don't mean to be picky, but for 250 bucks I would expect the handle to be more like the original handles in the pics below. The one 8229A (1972 Top belt drive) is Jim's mower and the other pic with all the bricks are my mowers. The pic of mine shows the 7022 original handle (LH top mower). These are just good examples of mowers that were stored properly and cared for. I wish I could find a better pic of Jim's handle because it's simply amazing! Looks like fresh chrome from Paul's chrome shop.
I do realize that the 1973 Stars and Stripes mower is super rare, but heck almost all the graphics are gone on the deck. The shroud and the flywheel look pretty good, almost like the previous owner(s) stored it the old fashioned way...with a tub covering the engine and shroud, while the rest of the mower was exposed to the elements.

Attachments

·
6,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree 100%. I just heard back from GraveyardMowerz and they do not have the decals in their database at this time. Sam said they may have them after the first of the year. Probably going to be $70.00 like the Liberty decals. I think even if I could pick this up at a much reduced price there is just too much I would have to spend to get it looking like it should. I have not heard back from them after my last message. If they were to let me take it to work on I could at least determine the running condition of the engine. I'm sure a handle could be sourced, Riley says he may have one, and a white side discharge chute would be nice but harder to find, much like the white roller cover which would probably end up being green ones painted white. If you guys were doing this project, how much would you be comfortable having tied up in the mower including the purchase price. Or to put it another way, what is the cut off money wise, including the mower, to restore this? Not talking rechromed handle here, just good handle, fresh paint, new decals, maybe new wheels, roller covers, side discharge chute, and whatever it takes to get the engine up and running as it should. 150.00? $200.00? $300.00? Thoughts? Bill

·
LBAD Victim
1,055 Posts
I agree 100%. I just heard back from GraveyardMowerz and they do not have the decals in their database at this time. Sam said they may have them after the first of the year. Probably going to be $70.00 like the Liberty decals. I think even if I could pick this up at a much reduced price there is just too much I would have to spend to get it looking like it should. I have not heard back from them after my last message. If they were to let me take it to work on I could at least determine the running condition of the engine. I'm sure a handle could be sourced, Riley says he may have one, and a white side discharge chute would be nice but harder to find, much like the white roller cover which would probably end up being green ones painted white. If you guys were doing this project, how much would you be comfortable having tied up in the mower including the purchase price. Or to put it another way, what is the cut off money wise, including the mower, to restore this? Not talking rechromed handle here, just good handle, fresh paint, new decals, maybe new wheels, roller covers, side discharge chute, and whatever it takes to get the engine up and running as it should. 150.00? $200.00? $300.00? Thoughts? Bill
I am not necessarily the best person for money questions, being that I am a high school student still living under his parents roof, but I would consider spending 3-4, or even $500. One of those fully restored could easily fetch $8-900 to the right collector. Plus, with your extensive collection, it would be an excellent addition to your "Lawn Boy Museum." Very few people own just one of lawn boys "freedom mowers," but you have both. Not many people have both a Liberty and a Stars and Stripes unit.

Another thing you could do is restore it bit by bit. You are not restoring it for someone, so time is no object. You could spend a little time and money here and there, taking your time restoring it. Good luck!
Riley

·
5K Poster!!!!
5,329 Posts
That Riley is a pretty darn good salesman. I agree with him. I could see myself going up to 500 to get that one done to a very nice level. It would be a fun project to do with all those graphics on the deck.

·
LBAD Victim
1,055 Posts
That Riley is a pretty darn good salesman. I agree with him. I could see myself going up to 500 to get that one done to a very nice level. It would be a fun project to do with all those graphics on the deck.
There's a reason why I'm the top seller for the school's annual music fundraiser.

Those graphics would be fun. Tricky, but fun. While looking at the pictures, nothing seems to be "too far gone" for someone to repair. I agree that the white capstan drive covers could be hard to find. However, as Bill stated, you can paint green ones for the time being. You could do that while waiting to find the white ones on either eBay or even craigslist. And I checked my shop, and I do have that handle still.
Riley

·
Lawn Boys Never Die
2,042 Posts
I paid $250 for mine about 7 years ago, but its in really nice shape compared to that one. Going by his pricing I should be able to get $400 for mine.

Attachments

·
6,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay, first. Riley, I did cross reference the part numbers from the 8253 handle to the 8250X and they are the same so that would be an option. I didn't look closely at the handle when I was there. I have had many Lawnboys with rusty handles that cleaned up well. I would not attempt a restoration of this caliber without the correct decal set. Painting all the decals on is not for me. If someone buys it before me that is okay. If it is still around and the decals become available I may consider it. I see a nice chute for a Liberty just came up but it is pricey at $80.00 plus shipping and the decals would all have to be removed and the proper ones installed. Also it has a piece broken out of the bottom plastic. Then there is the issue of whether the engine is in good mechanical condition and just needs the usual work (cleaning, etc.) to get it running. No way I am spending a decent amount of money on a mower with a bad engine. Just too many what if's at this point. I may stop in at the dealer again in the near future and talk more serious. The very bottom line is I can't have so much in a restore that I couldn't get out from under it if and when I wanted to. Time will tell here. Bill

·
6,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had taken it off of my watch list. Yes, 3 bids and 2 bidders. Hopefully someone bought it that will give it a good home and a proper restore. Bill

·
5K Poster!!!!
5,329 Posts
I paid $250 for mine about 7 years ago, but its in really nice shape compared to that one. Going by his pricing I should be able to get $400 for mine.
Totally agree! After seeing this ebay auction I'd say you have a gold mine in those two mowers. Thanks for sharing that pic! absolutely fabulous looking mowers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.