My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to everyone who helped with their knowledge, opinions, generosity, parts and time.

Here's a video showing the final result:

http://youtu.be/xcj_DsfeYl8

Future plans may include either deck repair or replacement, plus adjustment to the self-propel mechanism, but I'm calling it complete for now. Time to enjoy.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sounds like it is running strong :fing32:

Magnesium can be welded, it can also be JB welded. The top crack I'd trust with JB weld but the crack near the shoot I might consider welding (I think it is AC welding for that?).

Thanks for the video :howdy:, I love watching it come together in sight & sound and the circular cutting style you have is very unique :thThumbsU I might give that a try :kens:

·
4K Poster!!!!
5,083 Posts
You did a super job with that machine, loved the video. I hope you can find someone to weld that magnesium for ya, I've had one welded and it turned out just fine. The only problem you might run into is finding the pure magnesium welding rods. The welder that did my work says that he has run out of the rods and it now cost about 90 bucks a pound for the stuff, so the only way he will weld anymore is if I supply the rod...I don't blame him at all since I'm probably the only customer that he has had to get magnesium welded in the last 30 years. Evidently magnesium used to be fairly common on motorcycles, but it's just not used much anymore, so the welding rods have nearly become extinct.

·
5,857 Posts
Hi Evan! The mower sounds and looks great!! Glad everything has come together at this stage. I recently had a mag deck welded and it cost me $35.00 but it was a small crack on the non discharge side. Hopefully you will find someone in your area that can and will do magnesium welding for you so you can get that deck repaired before it gets any worse. That NOS shroud looks great on the mower and will look right at home once the deck is complete. Thanks for the shout out on the video as well. It was my pleasure to be of help to you with your project, especially since I am fortunate to have the same model as well. Hope you have an enjoyable holiday weekend. Keep us posted with any updates on the deck story. Bill

·
Registered
113 Posts
For a $10 tube of JB Weld I'd try it on the deck. If it holds, another $10 for a can of paint and you have a nice safe mower that can last for another 10-20-30-40 years :thThumbsU
What do you have to lose? $10 bucks?
PS - you'll only use 1/2 the tube at best so, what, $5.00.. :trink39:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Make is Mastercraft Lawn-Boy 'F' engine.
Model 60-1618-2
Year - I have no idea..
I can't edit my post to fix nuttin it so I'll just make another :howdy:

Can you tell me what this is?, or what year it was made?
Are you sorry you asked yet hehehehe :thThumbsU

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Sounds great Evan! How many people look at you funny when you mow with it since there aren't many in California?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can't edit my post to fix nuttin it so I'll just make another :howdy:

Can you tell me what this is?, or what year it was made?
Are you sorry you asked yet hehehehe :thThumbsU
Unfortunately cannot, I don't see that model in the LB picture thread. Maybe they had different model numbers for OMC/LB mowers in CAN. But near as I can tell, they started making mowers with your style of deck (with the two fingered wheels in front) around 1980. But haven't found your mower.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds great Evan! How many people look at you funny when you mow with it since there aren't many in California?
I've seen some of the Mexican guys who mow lawns around me eyeing the mower. But no one other than a neighbor has actually asked me what it is.

Hired help for lawn care is big here. Don't see too many people mowing their own lawns.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I've actually had nightmares that someone else mowed my lawn. I woke up in a cold sweat because of it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts