My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The hydrostatic is not working. I did undo the lines from the pump area and no fluid came out while it was running. The power takeoff is turning the shaft so it looks like the pump is just not putting out fluid. Are these pumps available (as this is quite an old tractor). Or is there a market for a tractor like this antique.
Dale

·
22,779 Posts
Welcome to MTF!

The hydro in your tractor is a Sundstrand Series 15 of which there are two types used in GTs. The charge pump is under the cover that the input shaft goes through. Mark the top of the cover (it is actually the charge pump housing) before removing it so that you can put it back the correct way. (If you inadvertently install it upside down, it won't work.)

The drive shaft may need to be removed to get the cover far enough back tor the repair. Occasionally, the drive pin that drives the pump will break. and if the charge pump doesn't work, nothing works. The drive pin is a 1/8" diameter needle bearing about 7/8" long that is a loose fit in a hole through the input shaft and engages lugs on the pump drive gear. Make sure you get all of the broken pieces out. Turn the shaft so that the hole is horizontal and turn the pump gear so that the pin can be inserted through the lugs and the hole in the shaft. Make sure the ends of the pin will clear the recess in the cover and re-install the cover after checking the condition of the O-ring seal.

Once the cover is bolted down and the drive shaft replaced, you're ready to rock 'n roll. A hydraulic or bearing shop should have the needle bearing and the O-ring in stock.

Cost should be less than $5 and your time.

Service Manual.

Series 15 Transmissions Service Manual (danfoss.com)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure if this can be fixed or not...
The engine runs fine.
The pump shaft turns fine.
I undid the pump lines from the top and with the engine running and trying to use the hydro to lift the blade nothing happed. NO oil...NO lifting of the blade...nothing.

I'm not sure if it can be fixed, as I do not exactly what is wrong with by baby.

I am including a picture of the tractor (pump area) this time to see if anyone has any ideas.

Anyone interested in antique fir parts I may listen.

·
22,779 Posts
I'm not sure if it can be fixed, as I do not exactly what is wrong with by baby.

I am including a picture of the tractor (pump area) this time to see if anyone has any ideas.
View attachment 2501876
It's not enough to post and re-post what a problem is. It's up to you to read the responses to your inquiry.

I'm 320 miles away on the other side of a closed border and can't go to your home and spend the 5 minutes needed to replace the drive pin. You've already done the hard part of the repair, getting the drive shaft out of the way.

You are 4 bolts, a pin, and maybe an O-ring seal away from having the most potent and durable hydro ever installed in a GT up and functional.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's not enough to post and re-post what a problem is. It's up to you to read the responses to your inquiry.

I'm 320 miles away on the other side of a closed border and can't go to your home and spend the 5 minutes needed to replace the drive pin. You've already done the hard part of the repair, getting the drive shaft out of the way.

You are 4 bolts, a pin, and maybe an O-ring seal away from having the most potent and durable hydro ever installed in a GT up and functional.

Thank you so much Bob....I will try that tomorrow. By the way today I bought another used tractor. It is a 21 horse Kubota diesel with an quarter yard bucket and a three point hitch. So I will still try to fix the Bolens and then sell it.

I sure wish the borders would open so we can do some awesome fishing.

Thanks again.
Dale

·
22,779 Posts
Yup. I've got a SCUT diesel with a 1/4 yard bucket. too. Truth be known, I would prefer to have my GT back operational with its 1/3 yard bucket. It may not travel as fast pushing snow, but it pushes more snow at a time to compensate, and it will push through snow that will stop the SCUT dead. About 80% of the work that I do with the big tractors is snow removal, and the Sundstrand with the 2-speed rear end really shines doing that.

I don't fish, but I like to cross the border for gas. I save about $20 - 30 each tankful. Parts for my SCUT are slightly less expensive, too. The closest dealer is 250 miles away in Canada, and 30 miles away in Michigan.

Reactions: DBelmas

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again for all the help Bob. Today I was able to fix the problem and my Bolens is running great. I had fashion my own dowel pin as I was not able to find a 1/8" x 1" one any place. So I just bought a three foot stock and cut it down and ground it smooth.

This site was a great help...and thanks again for the help.

Dale

1 - 9 of 9 Posts