My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here goes...

i just recieved a 1971 JD 110 with intentions of repairing/restoring it. It currently runs and came with a 38" deck. I needed a lawn mower and this came at the right price (free). I have never restored anything, but I am willing to give this one a try. Alright, so I replaced the belts last weekend and changed the oil. Thankfully it is not burning oil, but I do have a problem and I don't know if it is related to the carb or not. After cranking, an intense smell of exhaust is present. So bad, that my eyes are watering and riding along for just a few minutes is pretty painful. Any ideas? I'm taking this one step at a time :)

Thanks! NCDeereGal

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Do the base adjustments on the carb. (idle speed, idle and running mixture.) Sounds like maybe running too rich.

Also look at the exhaust, make sure there aren't any leaks.

·
Super Moderator
15,492 Posts
:ditto: It does sound like it's too rich. Good luck with that and the rest of the project. You will learn alot. Get a manual if you don't have one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help! I adjusted the carb this weekend and it is running better now. I will for sure get a manual.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts