My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Jack of all trades
252 Posts
Fathom Blue with Ivory pearl interior. One of my favorite combinations. Had one just like it without the white top. LS5 and M40 automatic. Restored a few Blue LS6 cars when I had my shop.
My crew and I judge the 68-72 Chevelles at the Musclecar and Corvette Nationals in Chicago... www.mcacn.com

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,871 Posts
A brother-in-law had one when he was dating my older sister. My parents weren’t too thrilled. He would take my brother and I out for joyrides. As I recall, it had a 4-speed manual, and he would demonstrate how it could burn rubber in any gear!

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Back in high school in the early 80’s, that was the beast we all wanted.

·
Registered
01-03 Legacy
129 Posts
Had 2 70 LS6s, one legit & one added. Legit was black w/ white stripes, sold to Roger Ausley (Chevy resto parts distributor) before they took off in value, glad I could help fund his retirement😢. Other was red SS396, no stripes, LS6 short block through the Olds parts dept for not a lot of money, shipped directly to race engine builders to go through it as crate engines from GM were best checked over before use. With 4.56 & M22 that was a stout street car and drag racer, appx .500 batting average vs friend’s GPZ 750 depending on what I could find for traction with street tires, Not so great to drive distance on highway! Funny thing is back then (mid 80’s), I drove it year round, wasn’t very good in snow but could get down the street with 30-45 degree yaw.

Still my favorite car, especially since 67 L88 Vette just refuses to come down into my price range!

Still have a 70 Cutlass convertible w/ air induction, 434 small block (diesel block), overdrive auto & 3.91, runs 12 flat with very conservative build, great manners and cruises the highway 2300 rpm @ 70. A little bit of domestication without being a dog. My kid has been driving his 70 Cutlass 24/7/365, rain/shine/snow since 2009 when he graduated high school. We got that car when he was 13, he helped work on it summers, vacations, etc and registered it in time for his senior prom. Years back, I gave him 4 snow tires for Xmas so he can drive in snow without yaw management.

These cars may be a tad crude by modern standards but I love ‘em.
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Citizen of Earth
16,776 Posts
'Merica!!

·
Registered
862 Posts
When I was in high school, a guy I knew had a '66 Chevelle 396/4sp/posi. He was kinda crazy. (He worked full time at night as a welder to pay for the car.)
Anyway, his usual drive away "style" was to have the back tires burning, and with the crown on the roads, he was usually in the 30-40 degree yaw range as he pulled away.

but could get down the street with 30-45 degree yaw.

Reactions: bontai Joe

·
Registered
605 Posts
I love the colour chart of early 70's GM! 🤩
But is that #26 Mulsanne/Ascot Blue or #28 Fathom Blue?

Reactions: Crownie

·
Super Moderator
17,536 Posts
Had 2 70 LS6s, one legit & one added. Legit was black w/ white stripes, sold to Roger Ausley (Chevy resto parts distributor) before they took off in value, glad I could help fund his retirement😢. Other was red SS396, no stripes, LS6 short block through the Olds parts dept for not a lot of money, shipped directly to race engine builders to go through it as crate engines from GM were best checked over before use. With 4.56 & M22 that was a stout street car and drag racer, appx .500 batting average vs friend’s GPZ 750 depending on what I could find for traction with street tires, Not so great to drive distance on highway! Funny thing is back then (mid 80’s), I drove it year round, wasn’t very good in snow but could get down the street with 30-45 degree yaw.

Still my favorite car, especially since 67 L88 Vette just refuses to come down into my price range!

Still have a 70 Cutlass convertible w/ air induction, 434 small block (diesel block), overdrive auto & 3.91, runs 12 flat with very conservative build, great manners and cruises the highway 2300 rpm @ 70. A little bit of domestication without being a dog. My kid has been driving his 70 Cutlass 24/7/365, rain/shine/snow since 2009 when he graduated high school. We got that car when he was 13, he helped work on it summers, vacations, etc and registered it in time for his senior prom. Years back, I gave him 4 snow tires for Xmas so he can drive in snow without yaw management.

These cars may be a tad crude by modern standards but I love ‘em. View attachment 2556537
/////////////////////////////////////////////////

Nice__I had a (supposidly) 68 1/2 ? Chevelle S/S 396. Special order that seem to be made out of hodge-podge of parts--But the Doctor who ordered it then refused it.....396/375 H/P-4 sp. 'rock crushed tranny... got it at a good deal , too. After headers and a cam down the road that was a stump puller, too.
Oh-to be young again-
glenn

·
Jack of all trades
252 Posts
/////////////////////////////////////////////////

Nice__I had a (supposidly) 68 1/2 ? Chevelle S/S 396. Special order that seem to be made out of hodge-podge of parts--But the Doctor who ordered it then refused it.....396/375 H/P-4 sp. 'rock crushed tranny... got it at a good deal , too. After headers and a cam down the road that was a stump puller, too.
Oh-to be young again-
glenn
68 was a strike year. Some Chevelles used Buick or Olds Interiors. Makes it hard to restore a
68 because the parts are hard to come by.

I've had probably 6 1970 Chevelles and a 72 convertible. If anyone is in the Cleveland area, the Northern Ohio Chevelle Club puts on a show the first weekend of August in Strongsville. Draws a couple hundred Chevelles.
My buddys all refer to me as the Chevelle Doctor... ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts