My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into buying a the above tractor. It doesn't have an engine with it but it is in nice shape and I would like to restore it. Any ideas on where to find an engine or even if I will be able to ? Would also like to have it be electric start. Thanks Pete

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
You could repower it with a pull start engine from harbor freight, that would be the easiest. Either way, keep us posted and good luck

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What size Harbor Freight would fit it? I might get a parts tractor and use both to make one good one. Pete

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
Well it depends on what you want to do with it. I think they come in 6.5, 11, and 13hp. Unless you wanna mow, just get the 6.5. They are nice little motors with lots of torque

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haul firewood around and no mowing. I will use it to haul more and no cutting. I have 2 1966 custom 6's now. I wanted a 70 Custom 10xl because that is what my grandfather had and I have always wanted one since we got rid of his yrs ago. What would you suggest ? I was going to get rid of the custom 6's and get a 10. Any opinion ?

·
Registered
248 Posts
keep the 6's n get the 10xl. Where at in pa do i live? I live in Lebanon, pa n got a pull start 8hp engine for my 10xl in mechanicsburg at William's Grove Historical Steam Engine Assosciation for $7. Its not hard to find an 8 hp engine for it at a sale. There's a sale near Fredricksburg that you probably can get one at, not hard to find at all.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am near Pittsburgh Pa. Is it hard to find a engine that will work with the 10 xl that is electric start?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I am near Pittsburgh Pa. Is it hard to find a engine that will work with the 10 xl that is electric start?
I think the 70's had a starter/gen. They came with a tecumseh HH100 engine and the clutch was mounted to the engine.. Most likely you will need to make a bracket for the clutch to use any other engine. Any other elec. start engine will lead to rewiring the tractor and changing the key switch.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So whats easier? I can get a 70 Custom XL for 125 with no engine or get one that is complete but not in as nice shape?

·
Registered
248 Posts
The original engine tht was on mine was electric start

·
Registered
870 Posts
Pete97

What is easier is going to depend on how handy you are with tools.

I think the simplest fix (for me) would be to get the HF(pull start) engine and have a running tractor.

BUT sometimes it is better to start with everything attached (but not working) I did this with a rotospader and re engined it (with a HF engine)

Maybe you should be patient and keep looking until a better option appears?

Can you buy the non running 10xl and wait until you can find a "parts tractor" with a running engine?

Have you considered mounting an electric start snowblower tecumseh engine to the tractor (110v or 12v?)

There are lots of choices. All have some advantages and disadvantages, but YOU are the only one who can make the "right" one for your situation.

BE AWARE that no solution for this tractor, is as simple as bolting on the engine and go.

Small fry explained above that the "clutch" will need to be modified for any "new" engine to work. It is doable, but is more work which will need to be done. Here is a web page to help with that

http://vsgt.aforumfree.com/t188-ss-and-suburban-engine- swap-fyi

here is video that will help you see how it works with the clutch mounted to the tractor body...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ANDRB49aiA

·
Registered
248 Posts
out of all the tractors that i have and put other engines on i never had to do anythin with the clutch

1 - 12 of 12 Posts