My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to get the free Lawn Boy 3056 I got running again. I put a new starter spring on it and can now try to pull start it. I checked for spark and I am not getting anything. I bought a new spark plug (Champion CJ14) and put the plug wire on it and no spark still. Points look good and I cleaned up the contacts on the flywheel and coil. I did not see an grounding of the wire going back to the coil.
At this point I think its either the coil or the condensor.
I read about baking the coil to dry out any moisture so I am trying that right now. Is there any else I need to check that I might be missing?

·
Lawn-Boys and VW's
1,839 Posts
I would bet the condenser is grounding out. If the points look good and adjusted properly. The coil could be bad too but the condenser is the lesser.

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,077 Posts
"At this point I think its either the coil or the condensor.
I read about baking the coil to dry out any moisture so I am trying that right"

As said above, the condenser is the likely problem. By the way, the baking the coil thing has to do with Solid State Coils, not your coil.

Walt Conner

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
Yeah, the coils that use points and condensor rarely go bad themselves. I would bet on a bad condensor.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bought the new condenser on the way home, stuck it back in an hour ago. I now have good spark. I got the mower start up successfully. Now onto the next problem, the motor will not speed up from an idle speed.

Thanks for the help everyone. I will be posting another thread regarding the motor throttling up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked the exhaust ports as well. They are clean and I could clearly see the piston (2 ring). I tried moving the throttle rod down to speed it up manually and it had no effect. Does this mean that there just isn't enough fuel getting into the carb or the float is stuck?

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
Could be a stuck float or needle in the seat, or maybe the float needs to be adjusted. I'd take a look at the needle and seat some more.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took the carb apart and cleaned it. Put it back on and it idled the same as before and would not speed up. I turned the idle adjustment a little and it did finally speed up to mowing speed. I shut it down and started it again and back to the same lumpy idle.

If I cover the throttle body, it does not immediately cut off, it sort of chugs a little and then shuts off. Do I have a vacuum leak maybe? I hear the lower crank seal will often leak on these. Or is the old cork float getting soaked and not operating properly?

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
If the float is in bad shape, ie shelac, then replace it, yes. Also replace the reed plate gasket while your in there. New seals wouldn't hurt either. Most 2 cycle engines won't even start if one or any of these parts are not up to standard condition.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts