My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think I posted this one here recently. This is a 1969 Suburban 12 I got as part of payment for a tractor I restored for a buddy. It had no motor, so I did a SS16 battery tray swap, and dropped in my "new" 10hp All Power diesel. I bought this motor I think 3 years ago, and never started it. It has been swapped into I think 3 machines before I decided to put it in this one. I finally got an intake manifold and Exhaust adapter for 1" NPT built yesterday, so here is an update video.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I just Googled that engine and wasn't able to find any for sale, are they still available? Pretty cool project.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just Googled that engine and wasn't able to find any for sale, are they still available? Pretty cool project.
The place I bought mine from had a pallet of them, was selling them for $299 free shipping. I wish I bought three. Haven't seen any for sale since. Next lowest price is about $679 for another chinese knockoff

·
Registered
351 Posts
The place I bought mine from had a pallet of them, was selling them for $299 free shipping. I wish I bought three. Haven't seen any for sale since. Next lowest price is about $679 for another chinese knockoff

Yea I saw the ones for $679 is that the same engine? For $299 and free shipping i'd probably have bought 2-3 of them.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
What are the dimensions of that engine? Oldram, can you post a link to the engines you found?
For comparison, it is bigger than the 14 and 15 hp single cylinder cast iron Briggs that they put in sears. The challenge with these motors, is as you can see in my video, making the intake and exhaust work. More the intake than anything as it comes out the opposite side of the motor as the exhaust, unlike the Tecs and Briggs were they were 90 degrees from each other.

A similar motor to what I have is: 10 hp air cooled diesel
The motors themselves you can buy from China direct for about $300, but the freight kills you. If you got 10 guys together, and each chipped in an bought a pallet or two, the price might be close to $450 -$500 per unit.

Often times, you can find deals on used Yanmar L70 engines on ebay too- Around $500. Many are military refurbs with intake heaters as well! The L70 is a great motor!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Have you thought about putting a glow plug or the Power Stroke style heater in the intake side to help with cold starting?

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you thought about putting a glow plug or the Power Stroke style heater in the intake side to help with cold starting?
Nope. I like them simple If it won't start I use just a whiff of starting fluid, and it always goes. I have one with a glow plug, and I never hooked it up

·
15,000 +posts!
19,699 Posts
You can find these "waste nut flanges" at a well stocked plumbing supply store,and some hydraulic pumps also used them,so places that sell hydraulic parts might stock them also..saves time making one from scratch..I've used them to put pipe thread mufflers on engines that had the 2 bolts to use a bolt on muffler,that had their exhaust port threads stripped out--the bolt holes lined up perfect..
waste nut flange.jpg

The intake flange with 3 bolts looks like an exhaust manifold flange like old Chevy's used,but they would probably have a wider bolt pattern and the center hole is at least 2"..but I bet some searching in an exhaust catalog's listings may have one suitable off some import car that would work if someone was not able to fab up their own like you did..

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can find these "waste nut flanges" at a well stocked plumbing supply store,and some hydraulic pumps also used them,so places that sell hydraulic parts might stock them also..saves time making one from scratch..I've used them to put pipe thread mufflers on engines that had the 2 bolts to use a bolt on muffler,that had their exhaust port threads stripped out--the bolt holes lined up perfect.. View attachment 2444453

The intake flange with 3 bolts looks like an exhaust manifold flange like old Chevy's used,but they would probably have a wider bolt pattern and the center hole is at least 2"..but I bet some searching in an exhaust catalog's listings may have one suitable off some import car that would work if someone was not able to fab up their own like you did..
the holes are offset, so those flanges probably wouldn't work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts