My Tractor Forum banner

1969 International Scout 800A

7K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  Ralphst16 
#1 ·
I have been looking on craigslist, ebay and bargain news for an older 4x4 with a manual trans for a long time. My dad bought a 1969 IH Scout about 10 years ago and we only use it for plowing in the winter. It is not street legal but is mechanicly solid. I asked my dad today if I could get it on the road and he said if I put the work into it then go ahead. It's got a 4 cylinder engine with a 3 speed stick. No power steering, no power brakes, no a/c. It ain't pretty, but it's built like a tank. It needs a few things like an exhaust and new gas tanks. Due to it's sitting over the summer, the clutch has rusted to the fly wheel (this has happened before and is an easy fix) and mice have made their way into the heater box (also happens every year). I'm going to get it going tomorrow and take it for a quick spin. I will take some pics tomorrow and post them.

#2 · (Edited)
I love International Scouts. We had a 1966 800 with a built Chevy 350 and a 4 speed for a few years. Loved that truck. Hate we had to sell it.

Any how I can't wait to see your 800A. They only have different head light bezels from the 800 so they are basically the same truck.

#4 ·
We had to pay attention with ours because of the super swampers on it. They stuck a foot out past the fenders on the truck. I think it will make a great first vehicle.

#5 ·
Having that for a first vehicle will give you the confidence to drive other trucks and machines you may come across. I personally believe that having to pay closer attention when driving older rigs actually makes you into a safer and more skilled driver. After a few months of driving it, you won't notice the lack of power steering or power brakes, but you will be able to do a few more chin-ups. You might consider adding a steering damper if it doesn't have one- they sometimes have a tendency to shimmy.

For a little bit of fun, take the Scout down to the tire shop next time it has a leak. Park it in the lot and hand them the keys, then watch them try to find reverse. The last time I did that with my 3-speed truck, the guy had it in the flower planter before he figured it out.

#6 ·
I had a 63 scout about 34 years ago or so. It had what International called the snow package which consisted of posi-traction front and rear and 4.27 gear ratio in both diffs. That thing was unbelievable in mud and snow, it would go through soggy plowed fields without the first sign of trouble. It really got interesting when I put a 400 ford cleveland engine and a c6 automatic with an advance adapter to hook it up to my spicer transfer case. Made my own lift kit, had a couple of drive shafts made for it and had a blast.

#8 ·
Sounds like a fun project to take on, I'll definately be watching your progress! I love it when people see the value in old things, and try to bring them back to good use. I have never had an old Scout as they seem to be pretty rare in these parts, so if you get it up and driving, it'll be a head turner. Be sure to keep us posted on the progress, and keep at it. I built my old CJ 16 years ago and still have it today. When I brought it home, it was no more than a burnt frame with junk axles under it and nothing else. It lives an easy life now, just riding us around in the summertime. No more beatings, just washes and waxes. :D

#9 ·
I did a few things to it today. I pulled the fan out of the heater box to clean it out for winter and not suprisingly it had a huge mouse nest in it. I changed the oil out of the air cleaner because the old stuff was filthy. I also fixed the clutch today which I am very happy about. I put it in gear and turned it over and thats all it took to break it free! All I need to to is get gas and she will fire right up. I took some pics today. Sadly a dead tree hit the roof a couple years ago. Thankfully it didn't take the window out.

Attachments

#17 ·
There's your answer. The little 4 banger has to work quite a bit harder than a 6 or 8 will, so they were set up to be torque'y low HP engines. Add the fact that they used low gearing, and there goes your mileage. Even with the same top gear ratio of 1-1 like any other non over drive transmission, the gearing is low.

#16 ·
Looks really good for being a plow truck. Scouts were known to rust out before the drive train wore out. Just to let you know ours got 3-4 miles per gallon with the Chevy 350.

#18 ·
Considering the age and shape of most Scouts, yours is in very good condition. It is something that you can work on and learn on, be proud of, and make fond memories. Just a word of caution- an old vehicle like this, especially being your first one, will be extremely nostalgic- don't get rid of it! You will regret it- most guys on here have a vehicle from their past, that they wish they'd never gotten rid of. It happens to all of us. Fix it right, take care of it, and keep it! They are more and more rare every day, especially in that condition.

#20 ·
:thThumbsU Thats a sweet Scout I have been lookin for one in good shape to give to my daugther for she wants one but I can't find one all have blown trannys or need rewired which I hate doing both. :Stop:
Trav

#23 ·
Thats a sweet Scout I have been lookin for one in good shape to give to my daugther for she wants one but I can't find one all have blown trannys or need rewired which I hate doing both.
Wiring is easy on these old Scouts. Get a new aftermarket harness with a modern fuse block. Much safer and it only takes a couple afternoons to put it in.

#21 ·
The other day I cleaned out the gas tank thats currently in it and put fresh gas in it. I cranked it over for a bit until my brother told me he smelled something burning :fing20: so I got out and the battery handle was melting to the cables. The wires were very hot. The starter is turning so it's not sticking. I think it just got hot from turning over. It has a mechanical fuel pump so everytime the engine turns over it pumps. The fuel line has been dry for a while so I just think it wasn't getting the fuel to fire. Me and my dad are going to try to get it running this weekend, should be pretty simple!

#24 ·
Me and my dad got it going today! Turns out it was just a loose connection on the battery that I forgot to check :trink39:. I took it up and down the street a few times and It ran pretty good but it was definatley loosing power. Turns out the timing is off. I have no clue how it happened, but at least it's an easy fix!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.