My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tractor is for sale about a hour from me. My plans are to use it to mow for the rest of the year. Then I would like to use it mainly for plowing snow/dirt and pulling a rake through a beach area behind my house. From the pics it looks frigin awsome. Seems like it would work great for what I want to do. Guy says he wants extra for the tires that are on it. He dosn't have a price listed for them. What would be a fair price? He will include turf tires with chains at no extra cost. Also has a dozier blade and 32"-38" deck. It has a 8hp Kohler in it also.

Attachments

·
Banned
2,286 Posts
His price would be fair if you got everything you mentioned in your post, tires, extra's, blade, and extra deck.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He says its all origonal. He also wants an extra $175 cause thats how much he payed for the ag tires not including the dual wheel kit and extra set of wheels.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Im in with bear on this one its not worth 950.00
as these tractors get older they do hlod up good but they do break
I have one I picked up with a rebuilt engine and deck no blade only $150.00

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
I have the 66 version of that tractor & I'd seriously consider selling mine for that price :D
As the others have said, that price is too high.
A few thoughts on the tractor.
re. tires. Dual wheels on an 8hp tractor is all for show and has little functionality effect on it's performance. The rear axles can handle duals fine but theres really no advantage gained, unlss you intend to operate on a steep slope and if that were the case I'd recommend getting another tractor that has a pressurized engine oil system. The Kohler K's are great engines, perhaps the best small air cooled engine ever made, but they use splash lubing which can be ineffective on slopes. I guess I can see an advantage for snow duty. I don't get much down my way but the single rears seems to work fine moving snow w/the OEM front blade. The OEM front blade, when angled, covers the tracks just right. I'd say the outside duals will be in the unmoved snow, not covered by the blade. I don't know if that would lessen their ability in the snow but I do know that adding wheels weights and chains on single rears definitely increases the tractors traction.

re. timed geared WH decks. I have the 36" deck on my 856. It is identical to the 32" except for the size and they are very loud when in use. Theres just no dampening thoses gears meshing at pto speed. Unless your pretty tolerant of loud noises, ear muffs should be worn when operating these type decks. They do cut very well. They also should be greased before every use. The manual calls for every 10 hrs but when I do use mine, I always grease it 1st.

I really like my 856 but it hasn't been my primary mower for yrs. I mainly only use it to mow a few tight places where my larger 60" mower can't get.
The 856 is great for snow duty, pulling my carts and core aerator and also just to give me an enjoyable ride but I wouldn't recommend it for primary mowing duties.
I would look into buying somethong newer if your looking for a primary mower.
Course it's JMHO
Good luck
Dave

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Dave. I plane on just using it to mow for the rest of this season. Next year I plan on buying a zero turn, but I need a GT. I figure this will suck to mow with since i have 1 3/4 acre. But I can deal with it for now. I liked the dual wheels cause I wil be using it to rake sand and to doze. Figure I could upgrade the motor if it isnt powerful enough. By the way I just found out it does have a 36" deck.

·
Certified Technician
8,385 Posts
1 3/4 acre with a gear drive 36" deck?...oh man, I wouldnt attempt it.

The duals are overkill, the mower looks nice but with just 8hp, really its an entry level unit. And no way is it worth that kind of money, he is dreaming.

a C160, with 16hp, 8 speed with 8 pinion, and 1 1/8" axels, 42" deck, plow, blade, disc, in good shape, running...is worth maybe 750, honestly.

I gave 1300 for a 93 416-H and its a big ol hoss, had low low hours and was showroom fresh...

·
Always Learning
2,158 Posts
Not worth $500, let alone $900. I got mine for $200, with a deck, NOS Head Gasket, and all Manuals, from a Collector.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wel thank you guys very much for all the help and advice. Ive found a craftsman dgt6000 with a snow blower for $1200. Im hopping the guy will come down to around a $1,000. Should be better for what I need.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Don't do it!! Keep looking for a wheelhorse, it will last alot longer than the MTD/Craftsman.

·
Just Have a Little Faith!
9,271 Posts
'Restored' means a lot of different thing. The only way it would be worth anywhere near $950, would be if it was like showroom new, inside and out. And then you wouldn't want to get it dirty. There are a lot of good using Horses out there, like they said.

·
Registered
23 Posts
that Craftsman is just another MTD. so are Cub Cadets after 1982, and pretty much anything you will find in a lowes or home depot. Find yourself an old Sears Suburban. Mine is a '77 GT 18 with a 48" deck. not too muchextra to go wrong with these. I'm just sayin...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would probably agree with just about everything. But I'm not sure why it would make a difference weather using a gear drive or hydro makes a difference? It's all in how many obstacles you have to go around... I just finished a commando 8 that I transformed into a 655 and would consider selling. Has a snow blade and mower. With ag tires... I'm no collector nor a beginner. $950 is way too much. I wouldn't go over $600. Just my thought.

·
Premium Member
2,927 Posts
Just a note, this is a 8 year old thread, the unit in question will likely either have been sold or not long ago...

·
Been There Done That
36 Posts
that Craftsman is just another MTD. so are Cub Cadets after 1982, and pretty much anything you will find in a lowes or home depot. Find yourself an old Sears Suburban. Mine is a '77 GT 18 with a 48" deck. not too muchextra to go wrong with these. I'm just sayin...
International's Lawn Products Group was sold to MTD in 1981 as the subsidiary Cub Cadet Corporation (CCC) and production moved to a new factory in Brownsville, Tennessee. While initially independent, Cub Cadets began to gain more common components with the other MTD brands and became a fully integrated part of the MTD line.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts