My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have been in the process of restoring a 1968 bolens 1050. I still use it for day to day chores around my property. Recently however, I've noticed that it likes to get stuck in gear under load.

For example, I was pulling a scrap tractor that had all flat tires. The tractor got snagged on a root and I wasn't able to get the 1050 out of 2nd until I removed the load. The same thing happened in 1st too when I was plowing snow. The plow got snagged in some mud and I wasn't able to go into reverse until I freed the plow.

Any Ideas what's happening? I've yet to open the transmission up to take a peek, And I likely won't have a chance for a while as I still rely on the tractor for chores.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi, I have been in the process of restoring a 1968 bolens 1050. I still use it for day to day chores around my property. Recently however, I've noticed that it likes to get stuck in gear under load.

For example, I was pulling a scrap tractor that had all flat tires. The tractor got snagged on a root and I wasn't able to get the 1050 out of 2nd until I removed the load. The same thing happened in 1st too when I was plowing snow. The plow got snagged in some mud and I wasn't able to go into reverse until I freed the plow.

Any Ideas what's happening? I've yet to open the transmission up to take a peek, And I likely won't have a chance for a while as I still rely on the tractor for chores.
I forgot to mention, That I recently changed the rear end oil and there were no metal flakes whatsoever, so I don't think that's the issue

·
Registered
107 Posts
I forgot to mention, That I recently changed the rear end oil and there were no metal flakes whatsoever, so I don't think that's the issue
My fathers 850 did this. I replaced the clutch friction discs and all was fixed for a while. Then it started doing this again. The big nut on the front of the driveshaft loosened not allowing the clutch to engage fully.
Get under the tractor and work the clutch to see if the clutch mechanism is separating as it should for starters.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Check the needle bearings in your clutch pulley, if they are not free [ lubed ] you will have clutch shifting problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts