My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just went and picked up a 1967 sears suburban awhile ago it has a 6 split into high and low and it has a 12hp engine and im what kind of engine is it i have the numbers

model #143-562012
ser#6041-12180 any help would be appericated and is this a rare tractor and it has the orignal deck and plow :thanku:

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Tecumseh HH120 is the engine. Far as rare, Sears sold lots of these old girls and there are many still working.

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
Congrats on the recent acquisition, hope it serves you well, went and looked at the Sears Parts site and all I could find there was the diagram and parts for the engine and carb. nothing else was given, thought they might have a manual, but no go. Could'nt find anything at manage my home site either :(.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Good score,not rare thank god!Tractors,parts and attachments are all around(at least around here).Any pics???

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
The only thing that's rare on this tractor is the complete walbro carb. Mine is shot and after a year, I haven't been able to find a replacement. Re-build parts for it are hard to find too. The other suburbans used a larger walbro LME carb and all of those parts including the re-build kit can be bought through briggs. Unfortunately, tecumseh doesn't seem to keep old stock like briggs.

Has anyone else had this experience? I'd love to get mine up and running. Not trying to hijack your thread countryboy, nice find!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
You want to use your tractor and dont care about original condition , numbers match and all that thing do what I did.
My Gt 18-6 had a junk carb and like you I would not pay the high price for parts or replacement .
I got a carb from a 16 HP VERTICAL Briggs that broke a rod, very common problem. Ask a Sears service contractor to save you one .
The bolt flange on the new carb. was to wide for the Onan manifold
I removed the manifold and cut 1/2 of the bolt hole off each side and replaced the manifold
the carb will need to have the hole for the governor control rod drilled to fit .
The Onan used a larger diamiter rod .
mount the carb using a bolt with a washer top and bottom and a nut on each
The carb throat is larger then the origional so I used a air grinder to open the aircleaner can out .I notched 3 spaces for the air cleaner mounting screws and put it together
I have used it all summer with no problem
Total time spent 2 hours after I figured out what to do
Hope this helps

John Deere 550 6 way crawler
Trojen 114 loader
M.F. 40 tractor , loader , backhoe
Gt 18-6
and more pumps,saws, welders ect.ect.ect then I care to count

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
From what I know there's a huge difference between the tecumseh engine on this 67 with a walbro carb, and a later 70's model GT with an onan engine. Completely different carb set-up.

I like the idea of installing a modified carb to cut cost, but that might be another can of worms. Personally, I just haven't been able to find something close enough. I have a link for a guy in NY that has a few(but not all) of the re-build parts.

You want to use your tractor and dont care about original condition , numbers match and all that thing do what I did.
My Gt 18-6 had a junk carb and like you I would not pay the high price for parts or replacement .
I got a carb fro
Sears service contractor to save you one .
The bolt flange on the new carb. was to wide for the Onan manifold
I removed the manifold and cut 1/2 of the bolt hole off each side and replaced the manifold
the carb will need to have the hole for the governor control rod drilled to fit .
The Onan used a larger diamiter rod .
mount the carb using a bolt with a washer top and bottom and a nut on each
The carb throat is larger then the origional so I used a air grinder to open the aircleaner can out .I notched 3 spaces for the air cleaner mounting screws and put it together
I have used it all summer with no problem
Total time spent 2 hours after I figured out what to do
Hope this helps

John Deere 550 6 way crawler
Trojen 114 loader
M.F. 40 tractor , loader , backhoe
Gt 18-6
and more pumps,saws, welders ect.ect.ect then I care to count

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,265 Posts
I have a mostly complete Tecumseh carb- i can get the numbers tonight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts