My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i have seen a couple of forums about this problem but can't seem to get it figured out. So with the key in the on position engine off the generator light is on. After i start it the generator remains on regardless of rpm. I had the engine rebuilt, put it all back together and now it doesn't charge. Before i took the engine out to rebuild it would not start via the key so i bypassed with a spring loaded button just for starting, but it would charge just fine. I did accidentally short the system by putting the wrong wire on the wrong prong on the back of the ignition switch. They are in the correct locations now and it runs fine just doesn't charge. Some photos of what i am working with. It's not pretty but it did work before. I can't seem to find a way to see if the generator is working. Any quick tests associated with testing the generator would be extremely helpful.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,939 Posts
1st make sure the belt is tight enough.....if the belt is ok...use a multi meter from one of the posts on the generator starter if I remember one post is labeled field and the other is labeled A....red from multi meter to the post ..black wire to the chassis to ground it...see what you are getting voltage wise....again if I remember, it should be at least 14Volts..if you are getting at least 14 volts out you most likely need a voltage regulator.......if not getting sufficient voltage you have to rebuild the generator starter...or replace it...rebuild kit is about 25 dollars from www.isavetractors.com...takes a half hour to do it in some cases you do need both a regulator and a generator

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.