My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everbody, i found myself a nice sears tractor so i picked it up and have been trying to find out what model it is and today i finaly stumbled upon what it is.

Its got the grille like the customs but it has craftsman in it, the fenders arent the rounded type they are square, and the hood has the rounded cutouts in it.

The tractor came with a 3 point hitch 2 bolt mount, a rear grader blade and a moldboard plow. It runs good, and drives but it needs the transmission rebuilt and i had to make a peice of the clutch linkage.

Does anyone know what the model numbers are on these, and what color they are supposed to be. :greendr:

I have pictures but need to get them to the site.

·
Finally at 1k!
1,518 Posts

These should be the colors, but I am not that knowledgible about the earlier customs.

·
Registered
927 Posts
The Model# should be on the shifter plate, granted the shifter plate is still intact after all these years.

Can you post a pic of the tractor?

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
The Model# should be on the shifter plate, granted the shifter plate is still intact after all these years.

Can you post a pic of the tractor?
That would be an immense help in identifying it, plus I don't know if in 1965 they labeled them as Craftsman but I don't think so ?

Ron

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,199 Posts

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,876 Posts
what do you need to know about it? should have a 6hp or so Tecumseh engine, probably pull start. 4 speed rear end with a peerless axle.

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Wow thanks James I stand corrected I should have checked with you before opening my mouth lol :fing20:

I had no idea they were labeling them as Craftsman's that early, is that the forerunner of the Custom line ?

The reason I ask is they had a 65 Custom What was the difference with the Semi Commercial ?

Ron

·
Finally at 1k!
1,518 Posts
Wow thanks James I stand corrected I should have checked with you before opening my mouth lol :fing20:

I had no idea they were labeling them as Craftsman's that early, is that the forerunner of the Custom line ?

The reason I ask is they had a 65 Custom What was the difference with the Semi Commercial ?

Ron
it wasnt a forunner. the custom 6 i posted is a 65, i think they where in 64 also, but I could be wrong. About the name, I have no idea. maybe they just tested the same and they didnt like it so the changed it back.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,876 Posts
it was actually a custom 600 in 64. not sure what the title was in 65. 65 was a weird year.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i do have a couple pictures before i started to take it apart and sandblast it.

The grille is marked with the craftsman and not the custom.
I wasnt able to find a color picture of it so im holding off on buying paint so if anyone knows of a color picture out there it would be a great help.

·
Always Learning
2,157 Posts
Sears Custom, Sears (Craftsman tagged) Semi-Commercial, and Sears Compact. THose are the different names they gave the early customs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is what I have been looking for. My dad had two of these at one time. One he has since disposed of because it was rusted pretty bad. The second has always been inside from purchase as it has been in my family since my grandfather purchased it new. It is in pretty good shape but not as good as your Dalejr. but here is the thing. My Grandfather bought this exact model in 1963, August to be exact at our county fair. My dad said that they (Craftsman) had made this tractor just to sell at special events like the fair. Not sure how true that is but that is what he has told me. My question is, does anyone know how it would be possible that he got one like this in 63 when they were suppose to be 65 models. I have seen the pictures on vintage tractors and have always wonder about this. I will take pictures of my dads soon. I am getting the original owners manual from dad today and I will scan that in and make it available to anyone who is interested.

Thanks
Hitman

·
Premium Member
14,853 Posts
What are the odds one of these showed up in PA???

How rare are they?

Mike

·
20,000 +posts!
20,939 Posts
I have seen a few on CL in MA posted for sale in the past few years,I'd say they might be fairly rare,but not to the point they are worth a lot of money....
I've seen one in person,the fiberglass hood was the main difference between a Semi-Commercial model vs other Customs and they may have only been made a few years..
As for why one may have been sold 2 years prior to their release at Sears,Roper might have had a display at a fair and sold some there as momentos,who knows?..

The I.D. tag on most Customs were under the seat just above where the 3 point hitch bolts on to the rear plate...The Customs could have had a 3 speed cast iron Peerless transaxle or a 3 speed with a "extra low" first gear you engauged by flipping a lever on the shifter--later ones shared the same 6 speed with high and low range as the larger Suburbans had...the Vintage Sears Tractor website might have more info on these tractors,you can find it by googling that..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts