My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found another RF just a few minutes from my home and can get it for a pretty good price but it has 3 issues. Looks pretty good and paint and tires are good but flat from sitting for years.

The issues...

The head has been off the engine for some time now and the motor needs rebuilt, Rust on top of the piston but it turns over. The oil smells really old but is clean.

The transmission seems to be stuck. Not sure if draining the grease and filling it up with something to loosen it for a while wouldn't take care of it. I'm sure it will probable need some attention.

What does it cost to have a Kohler rebuilt by a good mechanic? Not sure I want to tackle it.

Any tips on the 4 speed?

Do 70's models have a "swappable" tranny and motor?

It needs a deck.

Lastly, Is this even worth the effort? I do love these little tractors and can give it the time and money but sometimes it best to pass. Looking for recomendations. The tranny is the biggest unknown but it worked when it was parked.

·
Super Moderator
33,699 Posts
The 4 speed tranny is very repairable and JD still has all the gears for in it. Not sure just what the cost would be though. If you have the head and only the piston is rusty (not the cylinder) I would try cleaning the head and piston and get new gaskets to see if has any compression. The 110 I had had some blow by at the head and still ran decently! I just didn't want to work on it as I had no spare time for it. I had a Kohler 12 hp professionally rebuilt and it cost me $750 about 5 years ago.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It still has a head and the old gasket is still in place. Had a few head bolts too. The old gasket looked OK and maybe it's good enough to test compression with.

The cylinder walls looked ok from what I remember and the valves were opening while I was turning the crank.

The photo's look pretty deceiving! it needs quite a bit of work.

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,948 Posts
Transaxle is full of gear oil, draining it is not a problem... The pain, I hear, is filling it... What I've been told is to fill it with any sort of medium weight oil then push it/pull it around for a while to get the oil circulated, then drain it ... I've drained the transaxle on my 112, but not filled it with anything YET. First 2-3 ounces out of the transaxle were pure, clean water.... from sitting out in the weather... These transaxles are still fairly obtainable, however, which is what I plan to do once I rip into the 112 and find that its transaxle is toast....

I'd say do it, but I have a soft spot for these round fenders too...

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have drained and filled the 67 a couple of times. easy but it goes back in pretty slow. It seems like I would need to fill it with PB blaster for the winter while I'm working on the engine.

Other follow up, the transmission was used in almost all the 60-70's garden tractors from JD and there are several transaxels on Ebay for $150ish.

Motor rebuild kits are $85 shipped for the parts including a new piston.

Warming up to the project a little now.

·
Too young to act this old
1,034 Posts
If the asking price can be made up easily parting it, I would go for it. Locally I would be able rebuild with parts and machining for less than 400.

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,948 Posts

Warming up to the project a little now.
COOOL! Didn't know about the engine rebuild kit! I'm gonna need to get me one of THOSE! Or possibly 2....

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm picking it up this weekend. Trading an old rifle for it! Wish me luck!

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Stx 30 the trans. parts if available are stupid $$$ better off with a used trans. if it comes to that the later 110-112 trans is the same and I think if I remember right the 200-216 trans is also the same. Those old Kohler's can be rebuilt on the cheap if you can do the work yourself. Good luck they were great little tractors I still have my 66 that I did an every nut & bolt resto on 10 years ago it's only job is to look nice these day's in it's retirement. BILL

·
Registered
443 Posts
It seems like I would need to fill it with PB blaster for the winter while I'm working on the engine.

If you're going to fill it with something try a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF, it works better than any commercialy available snake oil.

For $85 you're not going to get Kohler parts and there are some very bad reviews on some of the aftermarket stuff.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Stx30
Try filling the trans with fuel oil and let it sit for a few days. You would be amazed at how that works. I have freed up a few seized motors doing that.
Check the gears, if they are not rusted where the teeth are rusted off, you may be able to use the.
Did the motor have a spark plug in it, that could be why the top of your piston is rusty. If the cylinder walls are good, just clean the top of the piston. Glass beading would be the best.
I have done this with car engines.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for al the tips.

I will maybe just clean up the engine and reassemble with new rings and gaskets to see if that does the trick.

For the transaxle, when you say fuel oil, do you mean kerosene? I will give all of these a try.

·
Registered
223 Posts
STX 30:

Kerosene is best but home heating oil works to.Whatever is easier to get. I have used both with great success.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts