My Tractor Forum banner

1964 Ford 4000 light ind. power steering

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  johnmt 
#1 ·
I have owned this 4000 for about 20 yrs and now seem to have some major p.s. leakage from the valve/steering box at the base of the steering column. I plumbed the vent on the assembly to the pump return a few years ago as detailed in a service bulletin. Looks like both the valve and box (sector) need seals now and I have not found any sources for the valve seals. Sector parts appear available. This valve seems to be specific to 63-64 yrs. Any leads on this would be appreciated before I tear into it. I am considering buying the available manual steering column buy am getting a little old for that kind of wrestling.

#2 ·
You may be able to cross match the p/n's for the seals to other ones, or possibly find generic seals using the i.d. and o.d. of the parts and the width of the old seal (but this is somewhat risky, as you need to disassemble it to get the measurements, with no guarantee of finding the seals).

#3 ·
A 1964 4000 light industrial model is a 4130, correct? The parts site doesn't show a special control valve or seals for the 4130. It shows the same power steering parts in the steering column as for the ag chassis models made from 1957-1964, including the upper and lower seals on the control valve. The Heavy Industrial 4000 (4140) does show a different assembly for the steering column, control valve, seals, etc.

#4 ·
Nouveau *******, thanks for the lead. I thought I replied to this before. I am wondering what "parts site" you are referring to in your post. I haven't seen any listings for these parts on any site I've found. I searched under 4130 and 57-64 600-800 series. I haven't visited any dealers yet. Would they still be able to source this?

#5 ·
The New Holland parts site:

Link to New Holland parts site

New Holland owns the legacy of the Ford Tractor name, in terms of parts. Just type in 4130 in te model number field and you shoudl see it in the drop down list.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.