My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The tractor is 6 volts, it's my first tractor and I'm learning so please be patient. I have replaced the coil, distributor, plug wires, plugs, rebuilt carb, replaced starter relay, and new ignition. Most recently made the mistake of having a friend of a friend work on it to run the new wiring harness. Now I have gotten the tractor to start finally, but it's starting when I hit the key, not the push button starter. What I'm wanting to know is if it's a wiring problem and there's just something crossed or if I need to get a new voltage regulator. Also after it starts it revs high and stays High.

·
Premium Member
8,306 Posts
Hi, and welcome to MTF!

The voltage regulator should have nothing to do with the starter circuit unless your friend totally mis-wired it. I suspect that you merely purchased the incorrect type of starter relay (solenoid). They can look exactly alike but still be different in terms of how they work electrically. You need a solenoid with an isolated primary so that the push button starter completes the path to ground, and the solenoid that you have most likely has one side of the primary grounded to the housing so that the path to ground is always completed.

One of the site sponsors here at MTF, Steiner Tractor, sells the proper one:

Link to Starter Solenoid for 6 volt Ford tractors prior to 1965 on Steiner Tractor's web site.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks guys, I took the new solenoid off and put the old one back on. The new one must have been bad because that fix the problem.

·
Premium Member
8,306 Posts
As I said, I don't think it was bad, it was just the wrong kind.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts