My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going through some old pictures and decided to make a slideshow video about the restoration of the 1962 Toselli 226 I had back in 2015.

I got this machine basically for free. I traded a very old and small 2wd tractor with 13HP for this one.

This tractor comes with a 28 HP air cooled VM engine. It's a very compact tractor being 2.5 meters (98") long and 1 meter (40") wide, weighting around 1700 Kg (3800 lbs).

It does have a standard cat 1 3 pt hitch, a two speed PTO and it uses a 8x2 gearbox for the main transmission.

Toselli company was bought by Agrifull back in the 70's and the Agrifull was bought by Fiat in the 80's I believe.

As you can see from the pictures, I got it in a very sad shape and had a few problems:

- Someone had put a undersized exhaust pipe all the way to the rear which choked the engine pretty bad and was full of carbon inside of the manifold. The exhaust was actually the first part I did for the tractor.

- The right track would disengage or brake to steer the tractor, turned out, that other than the clutches and brake bands were full of oil, it also had a pin missing on the linkage that would apply the brake band.

- Sometime in it's life, it was dropped from a truck and broke a piece of the rear transmission housing casting and also cracked one of the final drives. Booth were easily fixed by welding with some Nickel rods.

- The engine, besides being aircooled, also requires some basic maintenance on the cooling system, which was never done. The air duct had a nest inside and the fins on the heads were completely blocked with all kinds of nasty stuff. Fortunately, the engine was in good shape and ran very good.

- Part of the 3 point was missing, so I just remake the entire linkage.

- The steering levers will do two functions at the same time. Will disengage the clutch for each track and apply the brake band accordingly. Needless to say, it was way out of adjustment.

- The PTO had one gear missing a bunch of teeth and the rest all cracked. Had to get a new gear made for it.

Unfortunately I've never finished the tractor 100%. The hood and grille still needed to be prepped and painted as it was full of dents and I never mounted the headlights as I wanted to fixed some stuff on it but never did.

Somewhere in the middle of the restoration, I found the big brother of this machine for around 800$. A Toselli 340, a 39 HP 3 cylinder machine. Almost in the same state of the 226 but the mechanical were in better shape. However, the engine was lacking lots of power. Probably could use a rebuild.

In the end, I made a bulldozer blade for the 226 but then swapped it to the 340 and sold it. While I also traded the 226 and a Kubota B7000 with an homemade loader for the new Branson. Sadly, the 226 is sitting outside in the dealer with the paint completely faded and getting rust all over the place.

YDXJ0534.jpg YDXJ0542.jpg

·
Parts collector
3,442 Posts
I was going through some old pictures and decided to make a slideshow video about the restoration of the 1962 Toselli 226 I had back in 2015.

I got this machine basically for free. I traded a very old and small 2wd tractor with 13HP for this one.

This tractor comes with a 28 HP air cooled VM engine. It's a very compact tractor being 2.5 meters (98") long and 1 meter (40") wide, weighting around 1700 Kg (3800 lbs).

It does have a standard cat 1 3 pt hitch, a two speed PTO and it uses a 8x2 gearbox for the main transmission.

Toselli company was bought by Agrifull back in the 70's and the Agrifull was bought by Fiat in the 80's I believe.

As you can see from the pictures, I got it in a very sad shape and had a few problems:

- Someone had put a undersized exhaust pipe all the way to the rear which choked the engine pretty bad and was full of carbon inside of the manifold. The exhaust was actually the first part I did for the tractor.

- The right track would disengage or brake to steer the tractor, turned out, that other than the clutches and brake bands were full of oil, it also had a pin missing on the linkage that would apply the brake band.

- Sometime in it's life, it was dropped from a truck and broke a piece of the rear transmission housing casting and also cracked one of the final drives. Booth were easily fixed by welding with some Nickel rods.

- The engine, besides being aircooled, also requires some basic maintenance on the cooling system, which was never done. The air duct had a nest inside and the fins on the heads were completely blocked with all kinds of nasty stuff. Fortunately, the engine was in good shape and ran very good.

- Part of the 3 point was missing, so I just remake the entire linkage.

- The steering levers will do two functions at the same time. Will disengage the clutch for each track and apply the brake band accordingly. Needless to say, it was way out of adjustment.

- The PTO had one gear missing a bunch of teeth and the rest all cracked. Had to get a new gear made for it.

Unfortunately I've never finished the tractor 100%. The hood and grille still needed to be prepped and painted as it was full of dents and I never mounted the headlights as I wanted to fixed some stuff on it but never did.

Somewhere in the middle of the restoration, I found the big brother of this machine for around 800$. A Toselli 340, a 39 HP 3 cylinder machine. Almost in the same state of the 226 but the mechanical were in better shape. However, the engine was lacking lots of power. Probably could use a rebuild.

In the end, I made a bulldozer blade for the 226 but then swapped it to the 340 and sold it. While I also traded the 226 and a Kubota B7000 with an homemade loader for the new Branson. Sadly, the 226 is sitting outside in the dealer with the paint completely faded and getting rust all over the place.

View attachment 2407059 View attachment 2407061

https://youtu.be/TvjA5tOEsFw
very cool nice work! Looks like a Duets air cooled engine. :tango_face_grin:

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,503 Posts
Nice work, cool vid. Those are some beasty machines, love the look :tango_face_glasses:

·
Super Moderator
30,028 Posts
Wow, nice restoration on that! Looks like it isn't having any issue running that tiller either almost no noticeable engine effort that you can hear.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
very cool nice work! Looks like a Duets air cooled engine. :tango_face_grin:
Thanks Mopar! VM, Lombardini, Deutz and some others are actually very similar engines.

Nice work, cool vid. Those are some beasty machines, love the look :tango_face_glasses:
Thanks Tiretx! Those are some good old school heavy duty machines.

Wow, nice restoration on that! Looks like it isn't having any issue running that tiller either almost no noticeable engine effort that you can hear.
Thank you! That's a spader or spading machine. It came with the tractor. Very cool to see it working. It will go much deeper than a tiller and actually takes much less power to run it. And that is a 700 lbs implement right there.

Nice work.
Thank you!

·
5K and there's still more
6,584 Posts
Great video history.
I like the family shot,
but where is the 460?
:tango_face_wink:

We had a rainy day with a few inches of white stuff in the higher mountains.

Donewrken

:fing32:

·
Administrator
12,426 Posts
Beautiful job on that crawler, neat old machine!

·
Administrator
17,142 Posts
Lot of work to get in that condition. Shame to hear it sits in dealers yard gathering rust. BTW Just curious, how long did your restoration take?
MikeC

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now THAT"S what I call a restoration!!!

We're having many rainy days too, but not a lot of actual rain.
Making this video just made me wanting to get another project like this.

We've been getting rain pretty much since the 1st of November. Off and on rain all day and night. Last couple days we had a non stop rain plus some nasty winds.

Great video history.
I like the family shot,
but where is the 460?
:tango_face_wink:

We had a rainy day with a few inches of white stuff in the higher mountains.

Donewrken

:fing32:

Thanks Don. The biggest machine Toselli made was the 350. An either 3 or 4 cylinder air cooled VM engine with 50 HP. But they did get away with all those round shapes on the hood and just made it straight lines.

Then Agrifull take over and build machines up to 80 HP I think, then Fiat took over extended the line up to 180 HP beasts. Being the 180 tractor a very rare tractor with only 14 units produced.

Beautiful job on that crawler, neat old machine!
Thanks Bosox!

Lot of work to get in that condition. Shame to hear it sits in dealers yard gathering rust. BTW Just curious, how long did your restoration take?
MikeC
Indeed lots of work, specially cleaning all that nasty stuff inside the transmission.

Interesting question as I've never thought much about it. It was mostly done off and on over the weekends, some times a couple hours during the weeks. Then after we disassembly the entire machine, someone broke into the garage, stole about 7000$ worth of tools, car radios, lots of leftover thick copper wire (1 1/2") from a big shop we rent and some various things. So we kinda lost the motivation for some time, plus we didn't know for sure if they had take any vital part of the tractor.

Interesting fact is that they didn't touch on a single piece from the tractor and they actually had to move the hood out of their way and they just did it gently without scratching any of the cars or the hood itself.

Anyways, I digress, it took about 8 to 10 months.

So yes, this machine has quite a story to tell over the 57 years of its existence.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Pedro, you are a machine! Every time I see some of your work, I am in awe. Beautiful job on the Toselli!

Reactions: ptsg

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pedro, you are a machine! Every time I see some of your work, I am in awe. Beautiful job on the Toselli!
Thank you Joe!

In the future, I would like to find another machine to restore.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts