My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yesterday my shifter got really sloppy so i took bolt off and looked to see the problem, well turned out the half-moon key had worn a bit. so i purchased a new one and thought it'd be an easy fix, not so, turns out not only the key was worn but the slot it fits in also is worn. it looks to me that the slot that holds the half-moon needs to be a tight enough fit to hold spring down so shifter can be tapped back down on key but since its worn a bit you can't hold spring down because shifter handle covers everything. is there some method to keep half-moon key in slot while keeping spring compressed and re installing shifter handle ? to replace shifter shaft it looks like it will be a transmission tear down. can't believe they designed such a fragile part that would take a major tear down to fix. i doubt i can find a new shifter shaft and only other option i see is just to weld shifter handle to shaft. i think "maybe" if i could get shifter handle re-installed with new key it "might" work but then again it would only be for awhile. i just really hate to weld it and then it break but may be only alternative. any help will be greatly appreciated.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts