My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is first one, it's a hole on the right side. I intend to just cap it off for now - OK to just cap it off somehow? What is it?

Next, this cable comes out of back of block, top area on right - the piece of cable was just hanging out in there. What is it? I need an RMP guage - maybe this is RPM cable? Can I buy these?

Then I have this thingy that has what looks like two wires coming out of it that have been clipped off? Where would the wires go? They are sticking up under airbox area:

Lastly, should this gigantic hole on the underside be covered up? Was going to may my own plate - OK to cover up?

Thanks in advance for any help - remember, I am new to tractors - should have a manual here next week - T.

·
1K Posts and climbing
1,677 Posts
You have Perkins (diesel), and some idiot removed the Thermostart, which is pic one. Pic 2 is the tach/tractor meter drive, which goes in the back of the cylinder head.

The bottom hole is the inspection hole, for clutch, etc. It would be better covered.

Here is first one, it's a hole on the right side. I intend to just cap it off for now - OK to just cap it off somehow? What is it?

Next, this cable comes out of back of block, top area on right - the piece of cable was just hanging out in there. What is it? I need an RMP guage - maybe this is RPM cable? Can I buy these?

Then I have this thingy that has what looks like two wires coming out of it that have been clipped off? Where would the wires go? They are sticking up under airbox area:

Lastly, should this gigantic hole on the underside be covered up? Was going to may my own plate - OK to cover up?

Thanks in advance for any help - remember, I am new to tractors - should have a manual here next week - T.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey great, thank you! two down! OS as I mentioned, I am new to tractors. Can I simply buy this thermostat and pop it on there, or am I misssing some type of housing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Thermostat-Mass...aultDomain_0&hash=item563eca64d3#ht_500wt_744

I only have two guages (out of 5 that are supposed to n=be there. The water (I put that on), and oil pressure. OS I guess I find a tach meter & get cable then that's good to go eh?

Another question - am I supposed to have a glass fuel/sediment bowl in this mess someplace?

Would love t ohave a fuel shut-off someplace too - everytime I mess with fuel, i have to drain the whole tank... am replacing rubber O-rings in injection pump?WISH ME LUCK getting that thing back together - no fear! :)

·
1K Posts and climbing
1,677 Posts
THERMOSTART - a small heater threads in there, which heats the fuel. Very ingenious. Here is the line you need.

http://www5.ca-en.sparex.com/Sparex.aspx

You will need Internet Explorer for this link.

http://agcopartsbooks.com/EpsilonWeb/login.aspx?region=NorthAmerica

Very useful, and free!! :)

hey great, thank you! two down! OS as I mentioned, I am new to tractors. Can I simply buy this thermostat and pop it on there, or am I misssing some type of housing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Thermostat-Massey-Ferguson-TO35-MF35-F40-MF50-/370420638931?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item563eca64d3#ht_500wt_744

I only have two guages (out of 5 that are supposed to n=be there. The water (I put that on), and oil pressure. OS I guess I find a tach meter & get cable then that's good to go eh?

Another question - am I supposed to have a glass fuel/sediment bowl in this mess someplace?

Would love t ohave a fuel shut-off someplace too - everytime I mess with fuel, i have to drain the whole tank... am replacing rubber O-rings in injection pump?WISH ME LUCK getting that thing back together - no fear! :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Fuel shutoff is at the tank outlet unless that had been removed also, that other "thingy" in pic 3 is the neutral safety switch.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I never cease to be amazed at the tenacity of the Perkins 3cyl engines, seems like you can remove half of the components and they will still run:ROF

·
1K Posts and climbing
1,677 Posts
I never cease to be amazed at the tenacity of the Perkins 3cyl engines, seems like you can remove half of the components and they will still run:ROF

I know. They have a strong heart. Hope the one in the post was not a victim of 'Ether'.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No luck on the ca-en web site for massey MF 35 thermostart. No part # in manual I got - says C.A.V. I don't know what that means.

I'll keep looking. Thanks for links!

What does the Neutral Safety switch do? Is it just a light/indicator? Part number pulls up nothing.

Thanks for help. _T.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The Thermostart is descibed as the "inlet manifold heater" in the parts book,
Part# 839501M91
The neutral safety switch prevents starting in gear, yours may have burned out and been bypassed by joining the wires together. Part# 181140M92

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks! I'lll see if I can find/order those parts. I guess I'll have to wire everything up too - since the thermostart & neutral switch need juice. Oh I know she's a hot mess...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have not had time to mess w/tractor yet - hoping tomorrow evening - thanks again for the help. I'll keep you posted and am SURE I'll have a few hundred more questions. Regards, Troy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts